mtbr member
    Oct 2005

New question here. Help. . .Chain Slippage?

I've just recently emptied the piggy bank on a new 2005 Specialized Stumpjumper and love it. I am however having a problem with the chain slipping or jumping a tooth. The bike has an XTR rear derailleur, XT front derailleur, shimano XTR hollowtech crankset, and a shimano XTR 9-speed cassette. All of these components are new, clean, well lubricated and to the best of my knowledge adjusted properly.
    The problem I'm having is a random jumping/slipping of a tooth but I can't figure out why. It doesn't happen all the time and only occurs after brief coasting, backpedaling, and when I jump out of the saddle and am getting on it hard. I swear everytime I'm around a someone who might know what the problem is it won't slip up. To me it feels as if the cogs are worn but as I mentioned earlier everything is new. If anyone has an idea I'm game to give it a try and will owe you big!

Thanks for the Help!

pronounced may-duh
    Check the chain for a frozen link. Hand crank backwards while watching the rear derailer. If one of the chainlinks goes thru funny it's frozen. You can unfreeze the link by grabing the chain at that link and bending it sideways. If your chain's ok I expect that your rear derailer needs a slight adjustment. If the bike is new just take it back where you bought it and have them do it. It should be free.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

I had a similar problem, try the hub.

I had a similar problem with slippage just after a backpedal or coast, and very random. I finally figured out that the teeth inside the hub were not extending to catch the freehub body. I had a shop put in a new spring and problem solved. I was running Bontrager Race Modified wheels. It may not be the same issue, but if it only happens when you spin the freehub I would look inside. Good Luck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    Check the chain for a frozen link. Hand crank backwards while watching the rear derailer. If one of the chainlinks goes thru funny it's frozen. You can unfreeze the link by grabing the chain at that link and bending it sideways. If your chain's ok I expect that your rear derailer needs a slight adjustment. If the bike is new just take it back where you bought it and have them do it. It should be free.
    Second the frozen link advice, they are very hard to see sometimes, a link can be slightly out of line with the others and cause it to skip. Just back pedal really slowly and watch for the derailleur to jump and that indicates the funky link coming through. I just got done with an SRAM chain that had like four frozen links in it, and I ended up having to remove two of them because for the life of me I could not unfreeze them with all the moving back and forth. I will be replacing it soon because it is quite short now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the help thus far! I still haven't pinned down the problem and I've checked the chain multiple times. I'm gonna breakdown everything this weekend, soak it in degreaser, and lube the sucker up. I'll take a look at the hub too. Any other iders please let me know. Thanks again!

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by VB_BAM
    Thanks for the help thus far! I still haven't pinned down the problem and I've checked the chain multiple times. I'm gonna breakdown everything this weekend, soak it in degreaser, and lube the sucker up. I'll take a look at the hub too. Any other iders please let me know. Thanks again!
    Also check if your hanger is bent. And also readjust the rear derailer. Some times on new setups the cable and houseing settle in a bit and things will need readjustment.