Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help - Chain popping off sprocket

849 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mxpx09rawker 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I just bought a brand new Trek Fuel Ex 8 today. I was excited to get it home and start riding, but now I'm faced with an annoying problem. Under heavy load, the chain jumps off the rear sprocket. It doesn't seem to jump from sprocket to sprocket, just jumps on the one gear.

This really sucks when trying to sprint, and I can only imagine what it will be like huffing it up a hill. I searched for someone else with the issue, but in all the cases it was an older bike with worn chain/sprocket. This shouldn't be happening on a brand new bike.

Does something need to be realigned? I might just bring it to a bike shop tomorrow to have it checked out.

Thanks.

#3 ·
You're right, most of the common causes of this problem are age and wear related, and there's no reason to expect it on a new bike.

Besides the possibilities David mentioned, it could also be a stiff link or section of chain not wrapping the cog properly.

In any case, given that it's brand new, it isn't your problem. Let the shop that sold it get it working 100%, whatever the cause.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.