mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Help! Chain dropping problem?

The other day went on a ride and my chain came off three times. All 3 were when I was coasting downhill in rough bumpy terain, no pedalling, no shifting. My chain is just bouncing off. It happened again this moring when I went for a quick ride, and it happens pretty much every ride if I get into sum fast rough terain where I'm bouncing around alot. My chain seems to be loose with no real tension on it regardless of what gear I'm in and I get alot of chain slap which I took care of with a cover. How can I fix this? I have a 07 rockhopper pro, it has deore lx rear and deore front. My brothers bike has alivio front and back and has had no problems on the same terrain. So is there a fix without buying new parts or what do I need to do? Preferrably a fix not an upgrade. Thanks in advance guys.

Master of None
    So there is no chain tension? Has it always been like that?

On the rear derailleur there are two chain pulleys held together with a cage. These are supposed to pull on the chain keeping it tight. When you rotate this cage by hand can you feel the tension?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    It has very little tension the chain is not drooping but it moves alot with little bike motion. The slightest movement of holding the frame and raising and lower it by hand up and down and the chains up and down alot. Im at work right now so i cant check the cage but I'll check that when i get home.

Master of None
    Sounds like the tensioner spring in the rear derailleur is broken, or something like that. It is a 2007 bike so it should be under warranty.
    http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont.../warranty.html

Give Shimano a call and they will probably hook you up with a local bike shop to get your derailleur fixed.