mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Help building my new drivetrain...

I'm finally starting to order all my parts for my soon to be built Banshee Rune, and was planning on having an X9 1x10 setup. I was going to go with a 36t upfront and was wondering what ratio I should get for the cassette and what length derailleur I should get then to go with it, or if I should go with something other than the 36 upfront too.

mtbr member
    It's no good asking whether you should stick with a 36 t up front without providing any other info. It all depends on the hills you'll be riding and whether you will be able to climb them w/ a 36t. If you think you can handle a 36 then go for it. Same goes for the cassette. If you think you'll need the extra gears then get the 11-36. Once you figure out what size ring, then you can figure out what rear der. you'll need, but likely a medium.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Well it will be a bike that will see some hills, but I figured that if I went with something like an 11-36 in the back I'd be able to handle the 36t upfront... or is that completely unrealistic to handle?

mtbr member
    If you think you can handle a 36 up front, then I say go for it. That's what I am running right now, with an 11-36 cassette. It's a great set up for me in terms of the gear range. Ideally, you need to find that sweet spot where you have enough range so at the low end you can climb the steepest hills you will be riding, but not be spinning out at the top end when descending fast. The 36t ring means that it's less likely you will be spinning out on the downhill like you would with, e.g., a 32t.

BTW, if you have not done it, you should also get a good guide/tensioner to stop the chain coming off.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    I just recently built a bike with a 1x10, I went with a 32t and the 12-36 cassette. I have some good hills where I live so the 32/36t combo feels like a granny gear to me, the only time I spin out is on the streets, but its a mtb, so its a moot point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I was planning on picking up one of the E13 STS Chainguides from Price Point since they are on sale for $60. But I was/am a little scared of going with the 36 upfront still, but worst case scenario is I swap in a new chainring and pull off some chain links, right?

Edit: I'm going to go with the Race Face D2 chain guide and bashgaurd to go along with my Race Face crank, and will probably go with the 36 upfront and 11-36 in the back, but was wondering how different that would be from my crappy 8 speed with a 32 upfront and 13-32 in the back?
    Last edited by jeremy5000; 07-06-2011 at 12:12 PM.

mtbr member
    If you ride 32/32 right now then 36/36 should be no problem - same ratio. But if you are that concerned about it, just stick with your 32 ring for now, and see how it goes. You can always change up later. You might want to think about a guide that can be adjusted for different size chainrings, which I don't think the RF D2 does.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I will probably just stick with the 36 then, and will call tomorrow to figure out if the RF D2 adjusts, and if not I will just go with the E13 STS because I know it adjusts... the clear bashguard that comes with the E13 though is just so ugly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    So will a short cage work with my 36t front and 11-36 rear setup? and is it worth the extra money for x0 over x9?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy5000 View Post
    So will a short cage work with my 36t front and 11-36 rear setup? and is it worth the extra money for x0 over x9?
    Short cage works perfectly fine. I went with x9 too, the only difference I could discern was the weight.