Thread: Help 2X9

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Help 2X9

The majority of my riding is on single track in the northeast US. I am contemplating buying a 2X9 bike, 36/24, does anyone have any information about how it would compare to a 3X9 bike. What are the advantages and disadvantages? Also I am slightly concerned about the shifters. The bike is running SRAM XO shifters and a Shimano XT Hollowtech Crank, are these compatible?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Is there a specific 2x9 crankset that you are looking at?

The X0 shifters are, in fact, compatible with a Shimano XT crankset. (Actually, the relationship is indirect, via the derailer. But X0 and Shimano XT should work fine together. I run that combo on one of my own bikes).

Are you looking at a Shimano XT crankset that is already configured as 36/24?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I am going to purchase the bike on ebay and just wanted to make sure that everything was kosher. Any thoughts on a 2X9 set up?

Davir
    shifts crisper, 9 usable gears in both chain rings, doesnt catch on logs or rocks. 24 chainring tooth is generally low enough with a 34 tooth low cog,i like it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I ran a 24/36 on a 11/34 and liked the simplicity. I recently went to 20/30/40 with 14/34 and love the combination. Some swear by 2x9, others like 3x9. If the bikes just what you want I'd buy it. You can always switch to a 3 ring if needed.

mtbr member
    FWIW, I like 2x9 a lot. Right now I'm running 22/32/bash on my full-suspension bike, and 22/36/bash on my Fargo. If you do the math, you lose only a couple of gear ratios at the top-end by giving up the 44-tooth ring. I'm happy to give those up in return for a bashguard and not having to worry about gouging my calves with the big ring.

I'm running the SLX double cranks on my Fargo, with the double-specific derailer. Shifting is excellent with that combination. I've been very pleased.

I'll just add that I have one friend who is a bit of a weight-weenie. He was inspired by my 2x9 setup, and took it one step further. He got rid of the granny-ring and the left shifter and cable, and runs 1x9.

No longer 26
    I am a big fan of 2x9. And J.G. has it right. Going with a 22 or 24 x 36 front set up only loses a couple of the high end gears. 36x11 is about equal to a 42x13 gear combo. That means you lose 1 gear on the high end of an 11-34 cassette and only 2 gears on a 11-32 cassette on the popular 27/42 racer set up. To me it is a much better solution to have the easy gears on the bottom end for most riding and racing.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    I'm a new englander who runs 2x9.twist shifters work great for 2x9.real easy to set up.I run 29-38 and 29-40 to 11-34 on two different bikes.One had 26-36 that I just change to 29-40.22 or 24 are useless to me,26 good but not quite,28-29 just right.38-40 feels similar to my road bike so I like that.I think a lot of it comes down to what feels right for the individual.I like slightly taller gears.

fuggansonofahowa
    Fellow New Englander also.....

I go 20/32/bash with 11-34 out back. Obviously setup for climbing on my AM rig. Medium cage Sram X9 in rear, and Shimano XT in front. Easy tuning, crisp shifting and oodles of clearance. I'm much happier with the 2x9 setup. I never used the 44 outer when it was on, and it got warped after being hit in a rock garden. Personally, I'm not a big fan of aluminum alloy chainrings and prefer steel for my mashing style.

mtbr member

40/29

David J, How do you do this? I'm interested in running a 42/29 combo on a XTR crankset.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Going from 22/32/44 to 22/36/bash should you drop some links from your chain? Would this help keep chain tension and drop a few grams? If so, how many links?

rear is 11-32.

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    I've got cannondale cx2 cranks.Their 2x9 specific, a 5-bolt 94 mm pattern,with a shimano splined b.b.(I run an ultegra).Their cheap on e-bay and light.I've been abusing a set since 2002.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by antiherohio
    Going from 22/32/44 to 22/36/bash should you drop some links from your chain? Would this help keep chain tension and drop a few grams? If so, how many links?
    I usually resize my chains. Not sure of how many links. I just go through the sizing exercise again, like when fitting a new chain. I wouldn't say it's a requirement to resize, but it's a nice touch. It means there is less excess chain to flap around back there.