mtbr member

help on "2x8" on my Gian Talon 29er

Hi,

I am having trouble setting up 2x8 on my Talon 29er. I removed the big ring on the stock SR Suntour XCT-V2. The chain keeps on overshifting when i shift to the outer ring, keeps falling over. any suggestions? I want to avoid a bashguard to replace the big ring since i'm more of an XC type rider.

cassette is a SRAM PG 820 11x32, 8-Speed by the way

I will eventually go to a 2x10 but been itching to get this thin to work on a 2x8..

thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    If you have enough space between FD and chainstay, you could lower your FD so that it sits 1-2mm above the big ring. Else a bash is your only option

mtbr member
    Have you adjusted your high-limit screw? Perhaps turn it in a bit more.

mtbr member
    the high limit screw is a bit fidgetty...will try and re-calibrate again and this time lower the FD

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    Have you adjusted your high-limit screw? Perhaps turn it in a bit more.
    I was thinking the same thing. I can't see why it wouldn't work. Who knows, he might like it better than a 2 X 10.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    ... I can't see why it wouldn't work....
    Dropping the chain on the outside is a rather common problem with 3x to 2x conversions, when not replacing the big ring with a bash and not lowering the FD. There is a huge space between the (now) big ring and FD for the chain to fall through. Even adjusting the high limit screw sometimes doesn't help.

mtbr member
    yeah..its hard to calibrate...
    anyway just thought i might share a pic of the crank

if i get a 2x10 FD and use it with my current shifters would that work?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Do you have room to lower that derailleur? Hard to tell from photo.

And yes, a 2x specific derailleur should work with your current shifters. Get the SLX nine speed version. M667 I believe. Just put one on my spearfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Typos and terseness are to be expected.

mtbr member
    already lowered it as far as it can go..does your chain still fall off with that slx FD?

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leech73 View Post
    Dropping the chain on the outside is a rather common problem with 3x to 2x conversions, when not replacing the big ring with a bash and not lowering the FD. There is a huge space between the (now) big ring and FD for the chain to fall through. Even adjusting the high limit screw sometimes doesn't help.
    Would you suggest moving the derailleur down or just buying a different derailleur?
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bosbik View Post
    already lowered it as far as it can go..does your chain still fall off with that slx FD?
    I run a bashguard on that bike, so is not possible for chain to fall off to the outside. I don't really know for absolute certain what would happen if I ran with derailleur alone.

mtbr member
    ah ok..what kinda bash you have?

mtbr member
    ah ok..what kinda bash you have?
    I'm running a Gamut on the Spearfish I just built up. I have a couple other brands laying around too.

As best as my feeble memory serves, I believe it was a desire to go 2x that led me to install my first bashguard. Given my feeble wrenching skills at the time, the idea of a simple, one-for-one swap, bash for ring, appealed to me.

It didn't hurt that the neighbor kids thought it looked cool.

I also like that my calf is protected from sharp teeth on a ring that I never use anyway.

And occasionally, not often but it does happen, I do bash into things. Hit a tree root this spring hard enough to sheer my chain ring bolts and ovalize my middle ring. The Gamut survived all that, surprisingly.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Would you suggest moving the derailleur down or just buying a different derailleur?
    As I said in an earlier post, if there's enough room for the FD to moved down, to bring it 1-2 mm above the big ring, than that's your best option. The 2x9 SLX derailler (FD-M665 or FD-M667) have been reported to work as well, since their cage is shorter and therefor don't need that much room at the chainstay.
    All this assuming you don't want a bash, as the TS said.

mtbr member
    hey..thanks for all your inputs..will try all your suggestions and update this thread

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Hi,

I am having trouble setting up 2x8 on my Talon 29er. I removed the big ring on the stock SR Suntour XCT-V2. The chain keeps on overshifting when i shift to the outer ring, keeps falling over. any suggestions? I want to avoid a bashguard to replace the big ring since i'm more of an XC type rider.

cassette is a SRAM PG 820 11x32, 8-Speed by the way

I will eventually go to a 2x10 but been itching to get this thin to work on a 2x8..

thanks!
    Get a bash for the big ring position. Try BBG Bashguards $18 shipped. Hard to beat.

I have never needed to lower my FD for a 3x to 2x conversion.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.