Thread: Help! 2X1 setup

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Help! 2X1 setup

* My drivetrain setup has only a front deruiler and a surly chain tensioner on the single bask ring.

The reasons this setup is not working is becuase the smaller ring is too small and has way to much slack at that gear.

I am thinking about purchasing the DMR dual chain reactor, would this solve my problem and eliminate the excess chain slack, Or am is this just a crazysetup i should give up on now?

Chillin the Most
    If I'm reading this correctly your using 2 rings up front w/der and a single cog in back with a tensioner??

If so, my suggestion is to swap the tensioner for a rear derailleur and use the limit screws to align it with the cog. The rear der. will take up the tension when you shift the front. Of course you'll probably need a new chain as well. Single speed tensioners aren't meant to be used for multi geared bikes, they're only meant to tension single ring drivetrains.

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by rodnee
    * My drivetrain setup has only a front deruiler and a surly chain tensioner on the single bask ring.

The reasons this setup is not working is becuase the smaller ring is too small and has way to much slack at that gear.

I am thinking about purchasing the DMR dual chain reactor, would this solve my problem and eliminate the excess chain slack, Or am is this just a crazysetup i should give up on now?

Swap the Surley for a Paul Melvin http://www.paulcomp.com/ and your troubles will be gone. I use a Melvin on my GT I-Drive and it works flawlessly with 2 chainrings even!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks guys, great link you gave me. Im going to order one tomorow