Thread: Help

ground hugger

Bonking ... not feelin' well Help

brought all the pieces of my old drivetrain (06 LX group) to do my first "sans bike shop mechanic" rig. The problem is that I can't get the smallest 2-3 cogs to shift properly. If I adjust the cable tension 1/4 turn either way it reverses the problem.

I also notice when on a bike stand that there is a side to side vibration in the chain when in these gears. My only guess is that when I switched over from the other bike the chain length had changed with the new bike.

I have adjusted the derailleurs a number of times with no success.

Any help or suggestions is appriciated.

mtbr member
    This could be due to the upper g-pulley on the derailleur hitting the cogs on the cassette. Have you checked this? Does it do this when you are in both the granny and middle ring or just when you are in the granny ring and largest cogs? Did you check the chain length for the cassette/rear derailleur/crank combo you are using on that bike? Have you interchanged some new/old components or components from different bikes?
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

ground hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHead
    This could be due to the upper g-pulley on the derailleur hitting the cogs on the cassette. Have you checked this? Does it do this when you are in both the granny and middle ring or just when you are in the granny ring and largest cogs? Did you check the chain length for the cassette/rear derailleur/crank combo you are using on that bike? Have you interchanged some new/old components or components from different bikes?
    The vibration is constant in all 3 rings with cogs 1 and 2. The gear pulley does not seem to touch the cogs. The Crank is new to the system (44-32-22) which I believe was the same size as the last crank. The crank and the wheel are the only change in the drivetrain.

Thanks for the help! Any other thoughts?