mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Headsets with a split crown race? Potential for creak?

I was looking at getting a Hope headset to replace the King on my frame so as to try and get rid of the annoying King creak at the front end of my bike. However, after speaking with Hope in the UK, their new headset employs a split crown race. The guy said this was done to facilitate easy moving of the crown race between forks. Why would you want to do that too often. Crown races, even King crown races, are relatively cheap. Surely it's worth $15 to put a new race on a new fork and not try and hash off the old one and hope you don't damage it.

This split race seems counterintuitive to what you would want there. I would think that the split race would not fit on the fork crown anywhere near as securely as the traditional press fit races and would have a huge potential for creaking.

What do you all think? I might try and find one of the 2006 Hope headsets with the traditional crown race set up.

Here's a link to the new Hope crown race to illustrate what I am talking about:

http://harriscyclery.net/page.cfm?Pa...ils&sku=HD1825

Thanks,
    Geoff

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Can't say I've ever had a noise issue with FSA's split race, which I've been using on-and-off for a long while.

I dunno... everything is pretty tightly sandwiched in there. I don't think there's much room for parts to move aroun and make noise. About the biggest fault I can think of with a split race is that they lack wide flanges (as with the Hope race you linked to). Doesn't put any material in place to fend off water and mud splashes.

Now then, if the lower bearing was loose balls instead of a cartridge, maybe then we would have an issue to complain about!
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

lurkio
    Jul 2007
    Don't worry abot the split race. FSA have used them for years. You are right that you don't often need to take the race off but when you do a split race makes life easier
    We went, earth, sky, earth sky, earth skyambulance

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I agree... the split race is a non-issue and nice to have when needed... your fork crown will thank you for it

MTB B'dos
    Split race is the best thing for headsets since sliced bread never had a problem using them in the little time I've been MTBing - 3+ years. Absolute saver when it comes time to switch a headset off a fork though.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    So would you still need a crown race press/hammer to get a split race on a fork, or would it go on by hand? I must confess I had never even heard of a split race until I talked to a guy at Hope UK this morning and he mentioned it as a positive aspect of the new 2007 Hope HS.

thanks,
    Geoff

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    well if you hold it "open" with a screw driver you should be able to put it down by hand..... if not pushing it down with a piece of PVC pipe should be enough...

Meh.
    Have you tried the little nylon or whatever washer that King gives you?

Have you had your headtube faced?

No good in rock gardens..
    I got a WTB with the split race - so easy to install and no creaks in a year so far.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have swapped crown races between forks plenty of times. I'm not sure how you could damage the race. All you need is a flathead screwdriver, hammer, and a lenght of PVC pipe. A split race seems like a solution to a problem that is pretty minor.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.