mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Have to replace atleast my crankarm...

So it is 90% my fault as to why I have to replace one of my crankarms. I have a 2009 Giant Rincon with a junky SR Suntour crank (http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/dst...R172-PBIG.html).
    I purchased some SPD's and installed them just fine. After a while I needed to put my flats back on. When trying to put them on I cross-threaded at the very start a few times, but kept backing and restarting. I have switched out pedals quite a few times since then and everytime I try to put my flats (stock flats I might add) back on it tries harder and harder to crossthread. I could tell the first bit of thread was turning into crap. The other side is not near as bad but still a turd.
    Well fast forward.... completely stripped crank-arm.

I understand I probably shouldn't have switched pedals so often, but I had my reasoning. I needed flats to ride to school, etc. every day because SPD's tore up my normal-day shoes.

For money's sake I would like to just replace the one arm, but I am thinking about just doing the whole set. Any suggestions? If I find a ridiculous deal on decent parts I plan on moving them to my next bike someday, but I don't have much money to spend right now (upcoming wedding.)

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I think the decision to replace the crank vs crankarm will not be money related.....it will be availability. If you're happy to have any old non matching crankarm then you may have a better chance.

If you replace the crankset as a whole, its probably best to go with something like shimano SLX. They are stiff and moderately light but still cheap....best bang for buck.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    For $65, you can replace the whole crankset:

http://jensonusa.com/store/product/C...s+W+Bb+Oe.aspx

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You may also want to invest in some double-sided pedals - clipless on one side, platform on the other. I have a set of the cheaper wellgo (sp?) on my hardtail. They're not as nice as shimano, but do the job. The performance brand may be similar (or the same pedal).

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for the input guys! I figured since there isn't a whole ton of wear on the crankset I have, I am just going to have the lbs helicoil it. With the amount of money I want to spend right now, the crankset I would buy wouldn't be a huge upgrade, so I will just wait.

They quoted $30 for helicoil on the driveside arm. Hopefully pick it up Monday.