mtbr member
    Apr 2005

have anyone use a Shimano Dura Ace road cassette in a mtb

hey guys just wondering if anyone is using a road cassette the Shimano Dura Ace with a mtb, how its the durability of the teeth and how do they perform.. im planning to get a 12-25..... thanks

mtbr member
    cassette quality is the same at each level with shimano. i.e, dura-ace=xtr; ultegra=xt etc.

Heaps of downhillers use road cassettes for the tighter ratios, however, don't forget most road stuff is 10 speed so you have to get older 9 speed stuff. They will also work better with the equivilent road deraileur as the road derailleur is designed to match the size of the road cassette, i.e, with a mtb derailleur on a 12-25, the pulley wheels are too far from the cassette for good (fast and crisp) shifting. NOTE: 10 sped road deraileurs WILL work with 9 speed mtb shifters and 9 speed road cassettes.

If you want to go with that ratio, get the dura-ace (or ultegra) 10 speed read derailleur and the 9 speed 12-25 cassette to match. It will work fine with your XTR (or XT etc) 9 speed shifters (not rapid rise!)

Enjoy,
    Mike
    No More Signatures

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I ran a 12-27 Ultegra cassette with my XO rear derailluer and the shifting was fine. I didn't like the tight spacing for the local trails (steep ups and downs) because I was always having to double shift. I plan to stick with an 11-32 XT cassette. If you ride flat-ish trails, then a road cassette might be the way to go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I've been using an Ultegra 12-27 without any problems. I shortened the chain by a couple of links and adjusted the derailleur tension. For me, the bottom gear 22 front / 27 rear ratio is low enough and the occasional double shift is a small price to pay in exchange for having the closer ratios.

mtbr member
    I just converted my Niner SS to a 1 X 9 set up for the Sea Otter XC race and am running a 12 X 23 Dura-Ace cassette and it is working great. I am running a 34 on the front chain ring and it climbs just fine.

Just make sure you order Shimano CS-7700 9 speed Cassettes
    the 10 speed stuff is CS-7800

Members who have read this thread: 0