MTB B'dos

Has Shimano had some price drops??

I just checked my e-mail and got the customery JensonUSA mailer w/ the RF Deus crankset for $199. I was looking at a new set and these were on the list, but was actually thinking of going the LX 580 route for around $170 - so this is a great deal right, NOT QUITE. I decided to check the LX 580 set and they're now listed as in stock May 27th for $114.95 :O Used to be around $170 I think I'll be picking up a pair of the new LX580 crankset, by my conversion they're just around 2lbs which should come in just about the a 1/4 lb heavier than my crankset by itself (Shimano Deore I think, square taper style) so including the older heavier square taper BB I should be a bit lighter and a LOT STIFFER.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Crankset.aspx
    Last edited by LyNx; 05-05-2005 at 07:27 PM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Chrome Toaster
    There is no price drop. There never really has been a price increase either. The deal is Shimano and now Sram only allow vendors to advertise msrp or very close to it which is why you see their prices are virtually identical among all vendors. They don't have to sell at that price though. The problem is its hard to sell at a lower price when you're advertising the higher one. Price fixing is illegal but advertising for lower prices is probably going to get you conveniently lowered in distribution priority. Remember when the 2003 XTR came out and Shimano started enforcing this policy. Jenson started pre selling the parts at incredibly low prices, just about 10% more than the then market value of the older XTR. They got into a bit of trouble for that apparently and all of a sudden stopped advertising ANY xtr parts for a while until they once again got authorization to do so at full price. Jenson's market price is just a clever way of getting around that. Technically they advertise the msrp but when you buy at market value they are "pricematching" the price someone else found. We'll see if this lasts but I'm glad their doing it.

The devil is an angel too
    Another thing, those LX's just went into the market, so initially there is going to be a somewhat high demand for it and no need to sell for less, if you just WANT one you'll have to pay for it because there are "few" on the market and not all dealers have them in stock. After a while demand goes down, all dealers get them and prices go down a little.

The LX won't save you alot of weight (if any) from the square taper Deore but you should notice a significant increase in stiffness. Make sure your frame alignment is ok and the BB shell is properly faced, outboard BB's are sensitive to this.

And since you seem to be a deal ho' like me, the Deus are at $199 now at Jenson, and those are LIGHT, and only twenty bucks above your initial target price (170). Only thing though, they may be early production and it seems like they have some interface issues, and some people just hate the RF system (mounts more like an old style crank as oposed to Shimano's pinch bolt system). Just a thought. And I would give some thought to the FSA gamma EXO at $90, they can't be that light or high quality but they are cheap.
    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.

Oscar Wilde