mtbr member
    Feb 2010

has anyone rebuilt a low end Shimano LP27 BB?

i have an old Shimano cartridge bottom bracket, BB - LP27 that is getting moved to my bike that gets the crappy parts. the spindle turns quite sluggishly and looking closer it doesn't appear to be sealed, so i thought i could rebuild it but it does look like i might need to buy a couple of wrenches to open it up. the lock ring is easy to get at and looks to be around 21mm but the larger ring (bolt) next in line has very little clearing from the casing to get a tool on it. does anyone have experience with these bottom brackets? and know what tools might be utilized to open it up.

i didn't have the right size wrench, so i started at the lock ring with a crescent wrench and the bolt was to tight to continue with the crescent and not do damage. thankyou for any info.

T.W.O.
    It would be cheaper and less time consuming to just get a new BB.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    It would be cheaper and less time consuming to just get a new BB.
    thankyou but i do not know where to begin to find a used BB for 5-10$ but i do know a very nice used tool store in Denver where i could get couple of wrenches or sockets for 5-10$. i believe the time will be 'consumed' no matter what i do.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Shimano didn't design their cartridge bottom brackets to be rebuildable. While it doesn't necessarily mean you can't, it means you can expect to find strange parts inside and a high likelihood that you need proprietary tools to get them back together.

New, these things cost under $30. You can find them for under $20 if you look around. I saw some under $10 on EBay, but of course you'll have to pay shipping to get them. While I can imagine that rebuilding it might cost slightly less than replacing if you don't value your time, it's not like you end up with something as good as new.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Just get a Neco BB off ebay. Brand new with shipping $15. They've better bearings that the shimano BBs anyway.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Former Bike Wrench
    The LP27's were always rough, but you can adjust the preload with the lock ring. It was never designed to be rebuilt...but you could always try to drill a small hole in the body and inject grease until the old stuff is purged out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    thankyou AndrwSwitch and mtnbiker72.

i got a 13/16in deep socket, that at the store fit like a glove but back at home it spun around the lockring, not sure if the edges were steep enough on the star socket for the round edged shimano lockring. so i went back to my crescent wrench and spun it off a few times before seeing it was a chinese steel wrench, so then i got my US steel wrench which held on a little better but still spun off. through the work, i was able to back the lock ring off a tiny tiny amount, so the BB now spins a little smoother without hanging up on the bearings like before. it doesn't spin lightly but is better adjusted now. using a fine edged vice may be the way to go to get the lockring off. this BB should be just fine until an upgrade lands in my lap. thanks for the help.