mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Hammerschmidt VS Rohloff setups

I would like to start a thread that would make a comparison between two drivetrain systems:

1. Rohloff setup w/ chainguide and single ring to the front

2. Hammerschmidt setup w/ short rear derailleur.

So I am looking about opinions, personal experiences etc.

Note: The reason I am posting this is because I have been looking around the forums and the net collecting facts and info but no strait comparison yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I was thinking of a Hammer and a short Saint derailleur combo to keep it out of harms way. I bought a hardtail frame that would fit the hammer and built it up but I haven't made the leap to desired combo yet. I'm not sure I like the frame enough to spend the money, that and I don't ride enough to spend the cash for that set-up but it sure looks trick! From what I read the Rohloff needs a lot of miles to make it smooth. I would also be interested in any reports!

STS
    mtbr member
    I would like both at a time, but too much weight

I use the hammerschmidt, with 10s rear soon
    and it works great
    you work most time changing only rear, and front only from uphill to downhill and viceversa

for me Rohloff needs two chainring in front for still have all the range I need

On MTBR hiatus :(
    To use both a Rohloff and a Hammerschmidt, the Hammerschmidt would need overdrive gearing rather than underdrive. As it is, the HS violates the Speedhub's minimum gearing limit when the HS is shifted into its lower (reduction) gear.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

STS
    mtbr member
    do you mean rohloff has a minimum chainring size for front?
    what size is that?

because in the HM yo can choose between 22T or 24T as main chainring
    and through Mattias you can mount bigger sizes

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by STS
    do you mean rohloff has a minimum chainring size for front?
    what size is that?

because in the HM yo can choose between 22T or 24T as main chainring
    and through Mattias you can mount bigger sizes

http://www.rohloff.de/

You can go to this website and read everything about the Rohloff.

There is no need to ruin the thread with such posts...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Some cons about the Rohloff setup...

It needs a 54mm chainline to work ideally with most of the cogs (15T, 16T, 17T). This means that the chainring must be positioned to the outer side of the crank arms. This limits the use of chainguides like E13 and MRP etc... It says in the manual though that the others positions (middle for example) are usable... I wonder how good the chainline will be though....

An other thing to keep in mind is the big weight on the rear axle. I wonder how well a long travel AM/FR bike's suspension is going to work with such weight...

The weird cable rooting is something we should consider when building a rohloff setup as well as the twist shifter. Putting a million zip ties on the frame isn't nice... Also riders used to the trigger style shifters may find it difficult to get used to the grip shift.

As opposed to all these the hammerschmidt setup is better. No chainline problems since it takes the place of the middle chainring. No excess weight to the rear wheel as it replaces the traditional crankset. No cable routing problems most of the times and especially with newer frames. No need to get stuck with only one shifter since there have been reports that any shifter can be used (proprietary hammerschmidt shifters, newer generation shimano saint shifters, sram pop lock remote controls etc...)

Notes:

1. I will continue to post more info and try to make a comparison of the two systems described on the original post.

2. I have to admit that Rohloff has a FANTASTIC customer service!! Very quick replies to my e-mails, very good and informative user manuals. I can't say the same about Sram though...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Update:

Rohloff

After talking Rohloff customer's service it is clear that the Rohloff Speedhub needs a 54mm chainline. As I have already mentioned this is achieved by using the outer chainring position of a crankset. This position though is not suitable for chainguide use. But the middle position is usable and there will be a 6.5mm of chainline difference which will lead to a faster change of chain and cog.

Hammerschmidt:

There have been reports of failure of the Hammerschmidt bottom bracket's bearings in the drive side after a few hours on the trails. It seems to be the ISIS design that causes the failure. SRAM though seems to be willing to get the bottom bracket warrantied. Note that it is mentioned that the bearings are not able to be found aftermarket so the purchase of a new bottom bracket is the only way.