mtbr member

Hammer vs. Saint, chainline, opinions, etc.

Hey guys, i have a few questions regarding cranksets and derailleurs i'm hoping someone can shed some light on for me.

i'm currently building up a corsair maelstrom and am having some difficulty deciding what i want to turn. the hammerschmidt is more expensive and heavier than a saint setup but my concerns with the saint is a dropped chain. does anyone have experience with a saint crankset using 2 chainrings? how does it handle DH/FR riding as far as the chain staying on the ring? i'm leaning more towards the saint but i think a dropped chain would piss me off more than the extra weight with the hammerschmidt.

the other question i have deals with chainline. i was checking out the specs for the saint FD and the chainline is listed at 54.3mm. doing a quick search i couldn't find the maelstrom spec'd chainline but i swear that at some point i remember seeing it listed at 50mm. what kind of an affect will that difference have on the drivetrain? is it something that can be worked around?

any and all input will be appreciated.

thanks in advance

T.W.O.
    Are you running any guides, I don't think it's the Saint fault for chain dropping. a retention system should be use. I use black spires Stinger on my 2x9 and never drop any chain.

I also have Hammerschmidt, definitely don't have to worry about the chain. As for the weight it's well worth it. Imagine being to shift the front at full load. The only problem with HS is, it may not be optimized for your bike. As most FS are designed around Middle ring riding. A Full time granny ring may add more firmness to the suspension, though many have tried and love it.

mtbr member
    i plan on using guides, and if that'll take care of the chain i'll probably go saint. initially i wasn't considering the hammerschmidt at all but saw it on chainlove for a decent price and started considering it. if i see it for a good price again i'll grab one, if not, when the time comes i'll buy the saint.

Old-newbie
    I currently have Hammerschmidts on 3 different bikes. What can I say, I am hooked!

I have seen some chain problems, but never a dropped chain. On my Glory the chain really beats the crap out of the underside of the chainstay and bracket. This is due to the proximity of those parts to the small diameter front ring. On my Reign-X I could not install the built in guide due to the orientation of the mount holes. On my WFO I had problems with the chain getting pulled between the chainstay and the tire in the rough downhill stuff. Again, the small diameter of the drive unit put the chain in a vulnerable region. I solved the problem with a lighter chain and wider rear triangle.

I love the HS, and I refuse to go back to a FD. However, it does have some potential issues to be aware of.

Although most of my other components say Saint on them, I have no experience with the Saint crankset.

gerG
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...