mtbr member

GXP making clicking noise - driving me mad, please help

Hey,

This is the situation. 2 months ago drivetrain, crankset part, started making clicking noise when I pushed left crank down. So, when the force was applied, it clicked. GXP, 2 chainrings, bash guard, carbon SRAM cranks.

The clicking is not a single CLICK but a double CLICK-CLACK, as if something moves out from it's place and then moves back, making a double sound. Whole thing gets worse on climbs when there is more force on cranks, and on flats it does not appear at all.

Guys at the shop tried everything, tightened both chainrings (2x10), cranks, BB, and it sort of stopped for a bit, but it never went away. And in the last month it got worse. Now both left and right side make noise, left being louder. Noise is no longer a single set of Click-Clack, but a whole plethora of sounds. Left one even makes a sound similar when you drop metal ball onto floor, so it makes a sequence of clicks as it rapidly hits a few times.

I have installed brand new BB, that did not do anything. All of the sounds are here still.

It is not seat post, and it is not bearing from full suspension.

The noise happens in all gears, and on both chainrings in the front. Cassette is new, chain is new, derailleurs are new.

The sound IMO is 100% somewhere in the crankset or possibly pedals.

I will disassemble whole crankset, remove chainrings, clean and rescrew all back. Also, I will try with some other pedals just to remove them from equation.

Any ideas? Anyone got the same problem and solved it?

Driving me mad!
    Last edited by Daemon[CRO]; 07-16-2011 at 03:15 AM.
    Daemon
    "Worship the Machines."
    www.nivas.hr | www.worship.hr

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I would quit looking at the crankset. All noises seem to come from the crank, but in my experience, it's usually something else and you've already gone through it once or twice.

Try different pedals.

Does it make the noise when you stand up and pedal. If it doesn't, pull the saddle and disassemble the clamp, clean and grease every part of it including saddle rails.

Look carefully for a frame crack.

Etc...etc....

I Fought The Lawn
    your rear quick release i betcha.

mtbr member
    I have disassembled entire crankset and chainrings, degreased everything, put lithium grease on absolutely all interfaces and screws, nicely tightened all (not too much).

Runs smooth as a baby, but I haven't been to a serious ride yet, only a quickie.

About the seat post, yes, I know about that problem. It ain't that.

Back quick release? Can you tell me more about that, how can that transmit sound to the crank location? I will now take care of that, just to be sure.
    Daemon
    "Worship the Machines."

mtbr member
    I had a similar creak on my GXP. it was the bottom bracket cup that was loose

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    is GXP a good crank?

mtbr member
    Crank is all the same. Piece of material forming a lever. GXP is a standard for bottom brackets and the way crankset interfaces with the bike.

Yea, it's good, but some old revisions of GXP BB are really bad, they fall apart in a matter of weeks. Check out reviews

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/drivetrain/b...65_104crx.aspx
    Daemon
    "Worship the Machines."

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm Small amount of play in crankset/bb area

I've got approx a 1mm or so of play when I wobble either side of my deore crankset. In addition there is some noise coming from that general area when pedaling. The BB is a Shimano SM-BB51 as far as I can gather. Will I need a new BB or does it sound as it I just need to tighten something up.

I should have said also, but when riding in to torrential rain, & I mean severe, the non-driveside arm of the crankset seems to be coated in a brown substance, possible grease escaping from BB?!
    Last edited by georgeybest; 07-22-2011 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Additional info

mtbr member
    I've had that a few times in the past. Sometimes it's just that the bearings in some GXP BBs die young, buying a new one could sort it out. Make sure you eliminate all other possibilities before spending money though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm

lew242,

is that a reply to my (georgeybest) part of the thread?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    solved! I was chasing the same click-click on my '11 Epic for months, only happened under hard pedaling.... saw a tip on the bikeforums.net about greasing the heck out of the cup threads AND putting a few wraps of teflon tape over the greasy threads, then re-assemble. It worked, 100%.

here's his post:

DannoXYZ
    04-18-10, 04:19 PM
    The creaking is most likely due to fretting between the BB threads and the shell. There is a large amount of clearance between the threads of the BB cups and the BB-shell. This clearance allows for vertical movement of the BB cups inside the shell which leads to the creaking. The way I've solved this is to fill this gap in the threads with teflon plumbing tape.

Start with two layers of tape and feel how it spins on by hand. I've found that on some BBs, it requires 4 layers of tape. Using 3 layers of tape still caused the creaking. While 5 layers is too thick to spin on. It does require a bit of trial & error as you have to remove all the old tape and count the exact number of layers you apply, but in the end, it gives you squeak-free BB for years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Interesting^ I may have to try that with my CK bb.