mtbr member
    Jul 2008

GXP bottom brackets...What are the best and longest lasting ones?

I'm just about to convert to XX1 and need a new bottom bracket. What do you guys recommend?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Enduro bearings and seals version is the best one I've found...

some people like the Chris King's but I'm not a fan of "conversion kits"

ceramic is definitely worth the $$ if you can afford.. I always thought that "they get better over time" was BS but my Enduro BB is 3 yrs old and it is most def smoother than anything else I've ever used!!

I do pull them, clean and re-grease once a yr.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'll have to check that one out. Is it high maintenance?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnybravo View Post
    I'll have to check that one out. Is it high maintenance?
    nope,.. just the opposite.. like I said once a yr I yank it, clean it and re-grease.... they are really good about info... contacting and Warr issues too..

I went with the middle unit for 150.. (think I found a sale)

one little thing to note is the drive seal is non contact and when you grease it if you use too much it'll space off the bearing too much and cause dirt allowed in... I always thought that it would get dirty the way it works but found just the oppisite I used to go thru a BB every 6-10 months.. like I said had this one over 3 yrs now and every time I pull it to clean it's near new looking inside... and smoothhhhhhhhhh I never thought you'd be able to tell the diff in BB's but these things are amazing and you can tell when you pedal !! They also have kits that will just switch out the bearing and use your old cups.. but pressing old out and new in... just easier to get the new units unless you have the presses handy

BOTTOM BRACKETS FOR GXP CRANKSETS
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    their all a little over 100 grams. i rode a cheap sram for over 5yrs. i'd pull the seals off the bearings squirt some grease in once and awhile.
    buying expensive gxp bottom brackets is throwing your money away. it would be different story if you could save 50gr.
    performance gain, bull. $150 added to what you might spend on a set of wheels is money much better spent. or fork or frame or crankset or brake set.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    their all a little over 100 grams. i rode a cheap sram for over 5yrs. i'd pull the seals off the bearings squirt some grease in once and awhile.
    buying expensive gxp bottom brackets is throwing your money away. it would be different story if you could save 50gr.
    performance gain, bull. $150 added to what you might spend on a set of wheels is money much better spent. or fork or frame or crankset or brake set.
    used to think just like you... but the SRAM bearings are crap.. they pit super easy. I'd pull the seals every 3 months or so and relube and after 6 months or so the would be very "notchy" not an issue since going to the ceramics...

I'm far from a big "high end" guy and usually down grade the wear out items (rear derailleurs being the major one) but the Enduro BB has been friggin awesome...

does everyone need it nooooo but if i was wasting $$$ on XX1 stuff.. i'd be wasting $$$ on ceramic bearings...

thou doesn't that crank set come with the Black Box BB anyway... ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i don't know if all the xx cranksets come with ceramic bearings. but the used on i got off ebay came with one. i can't tell any difference between it and steel balls. and it weights the same.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    i don't know if all the xx cranksets come with ceramic bearings. but the used on i got off ebay came with one. i can't tell any difference between it and steel balls. and it weights the same.
    personally I could give a crap about weight... but I can tell the diff between a steel BB and my ceramic.. esp after a few months of use...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    personally I could give a crap about weight... but I can tell the diff between a steel BB and my ceramic.. esp after a few months of use...
    It's good to know at least one person sees the value in ceramic. I think they are an overpriced marketing scam. Your cranks never rotate quickly enough to see the high speed benefits of of a good quality ceramic bearing.

I have had very good luck with the GXP Team (steel bearing) bottom bracket. Mine is smooth after almost four years with bi-annual servicing. They are disposable and probably a better value in the long run. It is very easy to pop off the seals, clean, and re-grease. The slightly smoother feel of ceramic bearings can be achieved with a high quality steel abec 7 bearing, and they are much cheaper.