Thread: GXP BB Binding

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

GXP BB Binding

I am in the process of building up a bike. The bb is is 68mm. I have a gxp bb and xo crankset. Every time I tighten it, the drive side binds. It actually looks to me like the crank is rubbing against the bearing cup outer edges. Logic has me thinking that the part of the crank that comes in contact with the BB should be smaller in diameter so it presses against the bearing and not the cup. What the hell am I doing wrong? Thanks Pete

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    What make/model bottom bracket are you using? Are you sure it's GXP and not BB30? It sounds to me like you have the wrong bottom bracket.

Would it be possible to post a picture of the drive side area?

Here's what mine looks like... there's a fairly large gap after fully bolted on.

GXP BB Binding-dscn0060.jpg

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    GXP BB is a bit diff from all the others (and a bit better ) like Redrock stated there should be a gap in between the spider and the bearing cup on the drive side. Sounds to me like you actually might have a 73mm BB frame...? or to many spacers? are you using a GXP Bottom bracket ? should have a massive washer looking thing on the non-drive side (thou I think the latest versions they changed it a bit and cover the compression washer in the molding) pictures will help

here's how it works it might help you figure it out...

Trail Tire TV: Sram's GXP Bottom Bracket, how it differs from others
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thank you for the help. I ended up taking the bb off and then slid it on to the crank to see how it works. I did not realize it was the non drive side that needs to pulled onto the shaft. I thought it was the drive side. You guys are correct, there is a space on the drive side once I removed a spacer. The frame is closer to a 70mm than a 68mm, it only required one shim. My space is actually smaller than redroc's, but my "spacer" os also a chainguard, so I want to keep it on. Pete

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for this, was going nuts and about to try another bb cup on the drive side before going back to shimano forever as well! Am putting XO DH for single speed on a 68mm kona unit off to build an ride!