mtbr member

GT ATB Ti bottom bracket bearing replacement.

I have a GT Ti bottom bracket that I would like to replace the bearings on. The sleeve is an exact fit between the bearing so there isn't a good way to hold the bearings while the spindle is pressed out. I have heard one reference to using a vice to clamp the bearing itself. I was wondering if anybody had any experience or advice on doing this.
    It is the same (according to bikepro.com) as the World Class Ti. http://www.bikepro.com/products/bottom_brackets/gt.shtm

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    need post to be able to post thread sorry!

mtbr member
    Yellow

Did you fix this? Maybe you need to see if you can remove the "aluminum tube" that's mention in the link you provide. It might be simpler and cheaper to hunt up a Shimano UN5x or UN7x that's the right length.

Tim

mtbr member
    It would for sure be simpler to pick up a new cart BB but that wouldn't be as fun and it wouldn't be Ti. As far as removing the tube goes it is a pretty solid interface. I have read somewhere about clamping the bearing itself in a vice and carefully tapping out the spindle. I might give that a go at some point but I don't currently have access to a vice.

Hhhnnnngggg!!!
    Mar 2012
    Any updates? I am curious.

mtbr member

GT ATB Ti bottom bracket bearing replacement.

Bearing splitter and a bolt grip puller
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    I popped the bearings off of a world class Ti bb today. It was really easy. I gripped the spacer sleeve in one hand while I tapped the spindle with a plastic mallet. Not the most elfficient hammering, but it didn't take long to open a gap big enough to slide a couple of screw drivers into. Braced the screwdrivers against the open vice, and a few more taps with the hammer was all it took. I don't know if that would work with the gt, but maybe.