Pedalphile

Bonking ... not feelin' well "Growling" chain when in Middle Ring and 34 tooth rear on XTR drivetrain

Ok, now this is on a brand new Dakar XC Pro and has been going on since the first time I pedaled.
    Chainline- correct
    deraileur hanger- straight
    Chain- clean
    B screw- adjusted correctly
    Inner and outer adjustment screws- adjusted correctly

Funny thing is that the rear XTR der. seems to be cocked to the right when in this combo and straightens out to be in perfect line with the cassette cogs as you move down 2 gears. It almost seems as though it is too hard a chain line, as though I was in the big gear in front and the 34 tooth in the rear. No other gears are giving me issues. Well, the next gear down from the 34 also growls a little bit, but not nearly as much as the 34. It seems as though it is fighting to keep the chain on the gears.
    Any help??
    [SIZE=3]"A witty saying proves nothing."- Voltaire[/SIZE]

Eric

pronounced may-duh

probably nothing

Is the drivetrain clean and oiled? How loud a "growl" are you talking about? It's normal for the chain to make some noise when the chain line is tilted and the insides of the links are rubing on the teeth of the gears. Unless it very loud I would ignore the sound or change gears.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    re-check your b-tension screw. back-pedal the bike while it's on the stand and watch the top of your guide pulley. it sounds like it could be riding the 34t cog.

if that's not the culprit, it's also very possible that it's your chain line. with the newer cranks on the market, the chain is about 5mm further out from center making the middle/big combo pretty angled. the sound comes from the chain pulling laterally off the guide pulley as it rolls off.