mtbr member
    Oct 2005

gritty grindy chain syndrom

hey all,

i just got a new used (demo from a shop) rockhopper that is doing great, except that the chain/gears are making a pretty nasty sandy gritty grindy noise when i crank it upside down. i'm sure its the chain and it was filthy so tonight i degreased it, and cleaned it as best i could w/ an old paint brush. i got the gears adn chain all silver again, but i could still see bits of crud in the middle of the chain links. so i just rinsed them as best i as i could in degreaser and lubed it all up w/ tri-flow lube. unfortunately its still a bit gritty sounding. i'm afraid this sand will eat up my components. am i right in assuming this?

so i guess in order to fix it ill need to take the chain off to soak it. is there any 'easy' way to get the chain off besides breaking it? any tips on a better way to clean it w/o taking it off?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HuffyMan
    so i guess in order to fix it ill need to take the chain off to soak it. is there any 'easy' way to get the chain off besides breaking it? any tips on a better way to clean it w/o taking it off?
    You can purchase a special link which makes it easy to take the chain apart and put it back together again. Wipperman and SRAM chains come with these links, but they can be purchased separately.

After each ride, I brush the chain, cassette, and chainrings with a Park chain brush. (I'm sure that an old , largish toothbrush would also work just fine.) Then, depending upon the condition of the chain, I use Prolink to clean and lube the chain. (I don't remove it from the bike.) Depending upon how anal I am about it, it takes around three to five minutes total. The other bit of post-ride maintenance that I do is to wipe the fork stanchions and shock body clean. I'll sometimes also spray a bit of silicone lube around the fork and shock seals and then wipe away the excess.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i just got back from a ride to the grocery store and i just checked again and the noise has gone down a lot. maybe the new oil just had to find its way in and work the crud out. good news, good news.

ah, that link does sound handy. My bike has the Shimano IG-31 chain. what do i need to know in order to find the right link? are there any cons to them? are they as strong as a solid link?

thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ah, that link does sound handy. My bike has the Shimano IG-31 chain. what do i need to know in order to find the right link? are there any cons to them? are they as strong as a solid link?
    Here are some links for links.

In spite of the manufacturers' claims of these links only working with their own chains, I think they'll work just fine with a competitor's chain too. (If you search these forums, you'll see a lot of anecdotal evidence that they do work with Shimano chains.)

They're probably not as strong as the alternative, but I've never broken one.

I've used both the SRAM link and the Wipperman link. The Wipperman link is somewhat easier to put together and take apart, but if you don't orient it correctly, it'll cause skipping on the smaller cassette cogs. The SRAM link is impossible to orient incorrectly, but IMO is slightly harder to take apart and put back together. There was at least one thread not long ago in this forum which discussed the proper use of the SRAM Powerlink. I'm currently using a SRAM Powerlink and have been following those instructions with good results. (I'm too lazy to post a link to the thread right now. If you search and can't find it, let me know and I'll look...)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    great, thanks a lot.

one last question, they both say for 9speed chains only, but i have an 8 speed.. any chance theyd still work?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    one last question, they both say for 9speed chains only, but i have an 8 speed.. any chance theyd still work?
    Probably not. I think the 8 speed chains are slightly wider.

SRAM does sell PowerLinks for 8 speed applications though. E.g. see

http://www.trianglemountainbikes.com...source=Froogle

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ^hey what do ya know, those guys are about a 15min drive from me thanks yet again