mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Grip vs Trigger whats your preference?

I am building up new ride and am considering trying some SRAM grip shifters. I have never used anything but trigger shifters and am looking for some thoughts on these two styles. The bike is going to be used for XC if that matters.

Freedom Isn't Free

X.0 twisters!

Fairly affordable, light and sweet to use. You can drop 4-5 gears in one twist. Works magic w/an X.O or X.9 rear der.

I tried X.9 triggers...worked fine, but went back to the good old twisters.

mtbr member
    i hate grip shifts!!! the only place ive found them is on department store bikes. the switch from grip to trigger(for me) was like night and day. trigger all the way!!!

I wanna go fast!
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by XCKing820
    i hate grip shifts!!! the only place ive found them is on department store bikes. the switch from grip to trigger(for me) was like night and day. trigger all the way!!!
    that might explain your negative experience. have you ever tried a set of X.0 grip shifters? they are amazing. i've ridden XT triggers and X.9 triggers and neither of them shift as positively, reliably, or accurately as my SRAM X.0 grip shifters. i will never run another set of shifters, unless SRAM comes out with something better

Freedom Isn't Free

Hmmm...some pros like 'em

the only place ive found them is on department store bikes.
    It's funny how much pro riders like them...check out Absalon, Sauser, Kileen, etc.

Not the reason for everyone to like them, but it shows they aren't only on department store bikes.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Twist shift, for my Speedhub drivetrain, really makes a lot of sense. With a single twist, I can literally dump 13 gears in a fraction of a second -- not that it would ever be practical to do so. But there are regular occurances where dumping half the gear range at the start of a climb, or pouring it on at the top of a climb, where the nearly instant change of 6 or 7 gears is appreciated. Try that with a trigger.

Additionally, twist shifters can be lighter (hence the racers using them) and certainly less complicated than trigger shifters. The twister is also accessible from a standing position, where with some trigger designs you have to contort you hand to operate them.

But I've always found triggers more precise for single gear changes. With twisters, it's easy to unintentionally shift two or even three gears where you only meant to bump one. Also, I never really dug SRAM's SRS, or spooled release. Their non-SRS Attacks were probably my favorites for smooth, uncomplicated shifting performance.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

thecentralscrutinizer
    I'm a trigger person. I always had trouble rotating the shifter when I didn't mean to going over obstacles and rough sections.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

banned
    I used to be a huge proponent of trigger shifters, especially when SRAM made great ones. Always thought about Gripshift secretly while I was bashing their usage.

So I put up a thread on the Turner forum about it a while ago. One of the best things I've ever done on my bike, especially since I built up a heavy bike.

banned
    I like to use one, or the other. Since it has nothing to do with what anyone else runs, I make my own choice based on what I like.

willtsmith_nwi
    OP: As you see, it's a polarizing topic. After going to triggers for a while with a new bike, I decided to go back to Grip Shifts.

The only way you'll know is to try them out. I recommend a derailleur/shifter combo from Pricepoint.com. If you try a 2:1 compatible Gripshift paired with a Shimano derailleur you won't get the full experience.

One thing I will note is that running a gripshift on the front paired with a trigger on the rear is becoming a popular combination. Gripshifts fronts have 9 indexes which allows you to tune out any derailleur rub. You just get used to doing 3 clicks for front ring changes.

Photog Cyclist.
    Six of one and a half dozen of the other---I have 2 bikes with Sram triggers and 1 with twisters--I like them both and would be happy with either if I had to choose just one. The twisters are lighter and cheaper, if that matters.
    [SIZE="4"]We ride and never worry about the fall
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all
    [/SIZE][SIZE="2"](Tim Mcgraw)[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2006
    A friend who races 24 hour enduro races changes his trigger shifters for grip shifts. He tells me that after 14 hours of bumps and vibrations, he can't move his thumb to operate trigger shifters. He prefers triggers for normal conditions. I hope to try a 24 hour race one day, and will try it with dual control shifters (which don't need thumbs for shifting).

kev
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've used XO twisters for years, and X-rays with an xtr rd before that. I've loved 'em. I originally went to twisties because I kept jamming my thumbs while shifting in the bumps. It's ben great, but I have to admit, I've never been all that pleased with the SRAM rear mech (X0 and X9). The current Rocket Shimano comaptible twisters aren't as nice feeling as the X0's.

I'm thinking hard about going to the new xtr triggers. I've checked them out at the lbs and they feel really smooth with feather light action, and then I can go back to xtr or xt rear d.

As for

"i hate grip shifts!!! the only place ive found them is on department store bikes. the switch from grip to trigger(for me) was like night and day. trigger all the way!!!"

Respectfully, you are mis-informed. Do a little research and you'll find many, many very high end bikes and riders using the twisters for a lot of diffferent reasons: light weight, ability to grab and/or drop a lot of gear at one time, less stress on the thumbs, etc.

kev

Just give me hardpack
    I like both, but haven't gone back to triggers since I put on X0 GS. Main reason - I like the uncluttered bar - nothing to bash against my knuckles.

Pro's:
    Uncluttered bar
    Price
    Multiple up or downshifts
    Front derraileur tuneable
    Light (if that's your thing)
    2 years' use now with not a single problem

Con's
    Shifting and braking not so good - IMO not as good for very technical riding
    Not great for long (24 hour) events with hills when shifting a lot, unless worn with full finger gloves (major blisters after the cape epic)
    Grip not as nice as a clean single grip.

Ultimately it really comes down to personal preference.

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd
    I'm a trigger person. I always had trouble rotating the shifter when I didn't mean to going over obstacles and rough sections.
    Same here. I had a set on my '97 Gary Fisher, swapped them out for Shimano triggers ASAP.

My new bike has SRAM X.9 triggers. I like 'em.

I wanna go fast!
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chucko58
    Same here. I had a set on my '97 Gary Fisher, swapped them out for Shimano triggers ASAP.

My new bike has SRAM X.9 triggers. I like 'em.
    As long as you're running SRAM, we're ok

Brant-C.
    XC bike has x0 gripshift with x0 rear derailleur...awesome!

AM bike has xt triggers with xtr rear derailliur...awesome!

It depends on you tastes...i have both...seems the twisters are great when you want to shift to a higher/lower gear quickly. Also, i find the gripshift easier to shift when going from middle ring to big ring...but that's just my opinion!
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

Mtbr
    I love the XO twisters!

fuggansonofahowa
    X9 triggers baby....had twisties for 10 years and could never get used to them on my hugely varied terrain (up, down, sand, mud, stream, up, puke, down, rocks, ledge, endo, yardsale, hospital). Braking and simultaneous shifting is almost impossible with grip shifts.

mtbr member
    SRAM triggers for me. I just can't get used to twists. They do look clean though.

No good in rock gardens..
    I prefer triggers - my old skool XT's on my old Klein, or the X9's on my Tomac. Never much liked twisters, or those rapid rise things either.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

"Its All Good"
    i was total grip shift, in which the XO grip shifters are great.... I went to XO triggers on my XC/Am ride, feel they are better for single gear shifts..... I would be happy with both.....If you havnt had them before and are building a new steed, bust out of the mould and give them a try.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Grip vs Trigger?

Thumbies all the way!!!

mtbr member
    Maybe you should stop buying your bikes at department stores, eh?
    Show Charlie Murphy your hubs