EDR

grip shifts for small hands?

I am changing the shifters on my kids Kona and am thinking of putting on SRAM grip shifters and have a couple of questions:

1) Which (x7, x9, x0) work best with smaller hands (or do grip shifters in general work better for small hands, since you don't have to reach?)
    2) what are the disadvantages, if any to grip shifters vs. SRAM trigger? I have never used grip shifters but am thinking of trying them on my 575 2x9 set up. Sometimes it pains my right thumb to use the indexer, it's an old injury that sometimes bothers me.
    A concern I have with grip shifters is that when landing drops/jumps it looks like you can easily shift unintentionally, is this a problem? I can't seem to recall seeing any FR bikes with grip shifters, always trigger shifters. Maybe I've just never noticed.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Been using grip shifts for 12 years, haven't had any problems ever with them besides the rubber grips needing to be replaced. Go with the X.9 or X.0 is you have a choice. I run 8 speed so I use an X.9 on the rear shifter and an X.0 on the front. I haven't had problems accidentily shifting either, though I see why you would ask. It hasn't been an issue for me.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!

Reviewer/Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    I am changing the shifters on my kids Kona and am thinking of putting on SRAM grip shifters and have a couple of questions:

1) Which (x7, x9, x0) work best with smaller hands (or do grip shifters in general work better for small hands, since you don't have to reach?)
    2) what are the disadvantages, if any to grip shifters vs. SRAM trigger? I have never used grip shifters but am thinking of trying them on my 575 2x9 set up. Sometimes it pains my right thumb to use the indexer, it's an old injury that sometimes bothers me.
    A concern I have with grip shifters is that when landing drops/jumps it looks like you can easily shift unintentionally, is this a problem? I can't seem to recall seeing any FR bikes with grip shifters, always trigger shifters. Maybe I've just never noticed.

Thanks.

The smallest grip is the Amy grip on the SRAM X7 series, although the rubber grips are all interchangable between X0, X9 and X7 series.

The positive click-stops on the twist grips usually prevent accidental shifts.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I put X9 (I think that was it) grip shifters on my 11 YO son's bike. The good side is more positive shifting all around and no more chain grinding on the front chainrings. He does comment they're on the big side for his hands; mainly harder to reach the brake levers. We do XC riding, so can't really comment on the jumps question.

Their wrists get strong faster than thumbs, so in general I think it's a good choice.