mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Grip Shift F shifter pull enough cable for 5spd Rear?

I'm pulling together a parts bin drivetrain. I started out single speed, but wish to have a few more gears at my disposal without spending any money. I found some spacers (from a SS kit) for the rear freehub and a range of four or five cogs I'd like to run. I also found a few derailleurs (older road and XT) to handle the shifting. I have a feeling my ghetto setup is going to require a friction shifter, though, due to odd spacing and large jumps between gears.
    So: will a grip shift front shifter pull enough cable to move a shimano rear derailleur a distance of four or five cogs? Is there another option besides running thumbies!

Thumbies seem to be of two varieties now. Crappy or super pricey. My old XT thumbies are shot and don't have a bar clamp!!!! (brake lever mount version)

Thanks,
    Dennis

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Is front shifter even friction, or are they all indexed?

Now that I'm thinking about it, is a GripShift front shifter indexed? Do some do friction?

Former Bike Wrench
    Some come micro-indexed (8 clicks) but none are pure friction.

A better idea is to run 5 gears spaced with either 8 or 9 speed spacers, then use the appropriate shifter with the un-used clicks locked out with the derailleur limit screws.