Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    wannabe corporate shill
    Jan 2006

that grimy, tacky film on new chains

How do I get rid of it? I've used a chain cleaner with a 50/50 mix of orange degreaser/water to get it off, but still there.

any other solutions? Maybe Isopropyl alcohol or ?

Ride Everything
    I use mineral spirits (aka, paint thinner). If the chain has already been installed, pour some on a rag, and run the chain through the rag. Be sure to lube the chain afterwards.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

AW_
    locked - time out
    A few years ago I read somewhere (seem to recall it was at the SRAM website) that it was best to just leave it alone, so I have been doing that ever since. But if you insist on adding an extra step, try mineral spirits.

AW_
    locked - time out
    p.s. I don't know if the same substance is used on Shimano chains or not (I haven't used one for a long time). Right or wrong I can only offer anecdotal evidence in that leaving it alone and using Dumonde Tech for lube works very well for me. I virtually never pull my chain anymore for a full degreasing.

wannabe corporate shill
    Jan 2006
    I've never noticed it being a problem until now. Just got a new bike and the chain (kmc super narron x9) had some real thick build up of gunk in the links. I've only put about 30 miles of light, yet dusty miles on it so far and put some Pedro's super dry lube on it. Maybe I haven't paid attention to this before now, but I'm not liking what I'm seeing..

Kosher Princess

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by grnxb
    How do I get rid of it?
    Use carburetor cleaner, soak the chain for ten minutes, then blast it with water.

Let it dry out and then lubricate it with a dry (wax) lube such as White Lightning.

Allow the lube to dry, and go for a ride.

This should be followed with every new chain, as the original packaging grease is only to protect the chain for long periods of storage, and is not intended for cycling use.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Carb cleaner

I'll second the carb cleaner- I try to use it as little as possible for environmental reasons, but it eats through just about anything- including paint and plastic, so try to only use it when the chain is off the bike.

Ride or die
    I use a little Boeshield T-9 on a rag and it cleans that sticky crap right off. I relube and am good to go.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Take it off, it can cause poor shifting and skipping, especially a new chain on a older drivetrain.

I hang it and dribble WD40 down it, then wipe down and blow dry with my compresser, lube up, and go.

mtbr member
    take chain of put in jar add paint thinners or turps.

empty thinners turps,add washing up liquid and water give a good rinse and clean,let drip dry,measure length add new pin lube and go.

mtbr member
    Just leave it be, and go riding

mtbr member
    If your chain is SRAM, leave the stuff on it. It is Gleitmo lubricant. If it is Shimano, soak it in mineral spirits. That will take it off. It's grease and will attract a lot of dirt if left on.

Ride Everything
    I've noticed that the XTR/Dura-Ace chains' factory lube seems to be less nasty than what comes on the LX- and XT-level chains. I still need to wipe the XTR chains down, but whatever they use on 'em isn't anywhere near as sticky as on the other chains.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

willtsmith_nwi
    The SRAM stuff is very good lube. Enjoy it while it lasts. It's impossible for you to lubricate the chain that well. Once you start cleaning it, you'll have to replace it with inferior lubricants.

A wheelist
    that grimy, tacky film on new chains
    What chains? From the SRAM man - leave the Gleitmo on and when it's dried up, lube over it with your fave lube.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Take it off, it can cause poor shifting and skipping, especially a new chain on a older drivetrain.

I hang it and dribble WD40 down it, then wipe down and blow dry with my compresser, lube up, and go.
    Poor shifting and skipping is usually a sign you need other things besides a chain. WD-40 is for barn doors only.

wannabe corporate shill
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    What chains? From the SRAM man - leave the Gleitmo on and when it's dried up, lube over it with your fave lube.

not a SRAM or Shimano= kmc super narrow x9.

I'm thinking I'll just use some carb cleaner like previously suggested and then clean, dry, and lube.

appreciate everyone's input

mtbr member
    I got a KMC Z9000 super narrow chain on my bike new. I left that crap on, and it took about two weeks of riding until my links got so tight that it started skipping. After I realized that my chain was that tight I did a no-no. WD-40. That made things worse. Probably 1/3 of the links were so tight that they were worthless. I could not ride my bike. So I went to the LBS to buy some real chain lube, tried that but that chain I think was mest up beyond repair. I didn't try carb fluid. I had to get a new chain. I now use simple green in a chain cleaner, wipe dry, let that evaporate, then lube and my chain works as it should.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kdmusicman
    I got a KMC Z9000 super narrow chain on my bike new. I left that crap on, and it took about two weeks of riding until my links got so tight that it started skipping. After I realized that my chain was that tight I did a no-no. WD-40. That made things worse. Probably 1/3 of the links were so tight that they were worthless. I could not ride my bike. So I went to the LBS to buy some real chain lube, tried that but that chain I think was mest up beyond repair. I didn't try carb fluid. I had to get a new chain. I now use simple green in a chain cleaner, wipe dry, let that evaporate, then lube and my chain works as it should.
    Maybe the problem is with the chain and not the lube that was on it.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    wipe the "lube" off the exterior of the chain, try using the degreaser straight , no water.Sram says its good, do a google search on on Gleitmo and youll find its a waxy/greasy lubricant, nothing really amazing, but nothing Id want on the outside of my chain picking up dirt & grit, once its off the exterior theres nothing wrong with leaving it on the interior parts, however, being grease, it doesnt flow so once the parts rub it off its not going to flow back onto them

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    you know
    this keeps comming up every couple of weeks, doesnt anyone from the major chain mfgs.have any comments and/ or instructions?
    none of their web sites even really mentions it except sram who basicly says its great.
    if it it really so great how come you cant buy it as a chain lube? how come nobody has added it to their ingredients? if you can liquify wax for a lube then you sure as h*ll can thin grease down enough to be user friendly
    hmmm?

7hz
    Old newbie
    I got a new KMC chain about a month ago. It comes with grease that feels like chainsaw grease - very sticky. I left it on and tried it for a ride, but by the end, my whole drive train was covered in sticky dirty gunk. I had to use white spirit then degreaser twice on the chain, and much cleaning on the rest of the components, to get that stuff off. Now I am running it fairly dry with Purple Extreme chain lube, it seems to keep much cleaner like that!

mtbr member
    My shop always removes it in a bath of WD 40 then after lots of wiping thoroughly lubes with Rock & Roll Gold

SPP

wannabe corporate shill
    Jan 2006
    I finally got around to dealing with the chain. I used copious amounts of carb and intake cleaner (3 times) with a thorough soak and shake each time, followed by rinsing. Finally, I ran the chain through my Spin doctor clean machine using orange degreaser and rinsing with water. It's still slightly tacky, but I'll live with it. Oiled it up with Pedros super dry lube and I'll test it out tomorrow.

Seriously, it shouldn't have taken this much work to get that gunk off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    To echo Dan0's comments, why is no company marketing this fantastic lube that Shimano puts on their chains if it's so freaking good? I do not have experience with SRAM chains.

It's kind of odd that the trend in lubes of late has been to thinner and thinner lubes like dumonde tech and boeshield and prolink, but there is one outlier that is thick like pudding. It doesn't pass the Occam's Razor test.

Get rid of it and then lube your chain with a product meant to lube it for use on a bike not to protect it in transit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast