mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Which grease is the best ?

I'm planning to re-pack all the bearings on my bike and I'd like some suggestions on which grease to use... there is so many to choose from.. Last year I'v heard bike shops advertise that they use lithium grease and I cant seem to find it in any online bike stores. also is it even the best you can use on the bearings ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Lots of nice greases out there, and a premium lithium grease is right up there, though it seems to be out if style these days.

Of what's sold in bike shops, My favorite is Rock 'n Roll Super Web grease, which is made specifically for ball bearings, as opposed to the all purpose grades made by others.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Best to check the religious and political section of the forums on this one.
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

Hazzah!
    Dec 2003
    I use blue "Marine" grease....

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    For bearings I use either Phil Wood or Bullshot (the red stuff), no issues with either over the last 12 years.

Ultimated Outsider
    I been using Phil's for over 20 years. Love the smell and it work pretty freaking good.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

Former Bike Wrench
    For bike shop grease, tough to beat Phil Wood Waterproof Grease

But, if you stop by a local hardware store or sportsman's store, you can pick up a tub of blue Marine grease (usually found in the boat section) for less than a 3oz tube of Phil's

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    Please define "best". Lowest friction? Longest part life? Survival in water? What are your riding conditions?

Since I have tons of car stuff laying around the garage, I usually wind up using a synthetic heavy duty grease like Mobil 1 or Amsoil for wheel bearings, and Aqua-Lube boat trailer wheel bearing grease for headsets and the like.
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

Yo.

Word.

Quote Originally Posted by Photograph
    For bearings I use either Phil Wood or Bullshot (the red stuff), no issues with either over the last 12 years.
    +1 on both. Don't know about their wheel bearings, but I believe Bullshot is the filling of choice for CK headsets.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

mtbr member
    On my roadbike I've used Campy grease since '82. On the mtnbikes I've used Progold EPX on BB, hubs, and pedals, it is waterproof and super slippery. Works for me.
    SOME grease of any type is by far better than NO grease. My opinion.
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

All 26.5" all the time!
    Bullshot grease has been out of production forever and a day, but there are many alternatives.

I usually use whatever NLGI 2 automotive hi-temp wheel bearing grease I have sitting around. I also like the neon green Shimano Dura-ace stuff and the banana smelling Tri-Flow grease.

mtbr member
    marine grease

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Definately the marine grade wheel bearing grease, if you will ever ride in the rain.

I bought a tub of this 35 years ago, and I still have most of it. Great stuff.

LubriMatic Marine Trailer Wheel Bearing Grease - 16 oz. Can

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-grease~L1...utm_medium=ppc

Frank

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Would the marine grease have a different rolling resistance or viscousity comparing to a grease meant for a much smaller bicycle bearing or would it not make a difference really ?

mtbr member
    another vote for marine bearing grease

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The marine grease may or may not differ in viscosity from a grease sold specifically for bicycles (which are often pretty thick), but I can't imagine that it would make a measureable (not a fraction of one percent) difference to the rider, since mechanical friction from the wheels is such a tiny portion of overall resistence to forward motion to begin with.

I believe a one pound can of the grease mentioned in my post above costs about five bucks.

Frank

Trips for Kids Denver
    I use the Bel Ray waterproof grease from my moto toolbox. I get it from my Yamaha dealer
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The old standby for me...
    The “Lubriplate” brand offers a vast line of lubricants for just about every application you will ever need.

You can find them at some auto parts stores, hardware , marine and industrial supply house.

mtbr member
    Any different requirements for ceramic bearing? I see that FSA and Enduro tout their own special grease…

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Phil Wood for sure...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i dont think theres enough heat to break down grease in a hub.. doesnt seem like all that much load either. if its made to withstand a trucks load on a wheelbearing, its gotta be fine for my bike..

i went with marine grease on my last repack.. replaced park grease, and phil wood. no noticeable difference.