mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Is this a good upgrade path and will it work together?

Current: Bonterage Race 22/32/44 ----> To:SHIMANO XT M752 CRANKSET 22/32/44 $109
    Shimano LX rear derailleur--->SHIMANO XT M750 REAR DERAILLEUR $43
    SRAM 7.0 Powerglide II--->SRAM POWERGLIDE PG-970 9SP CASSETTE $44
    Shimano chain HG-53--> SRAM chain PC950 $24
    Shimano Deore front derailleur--->was gonna keep this cause looks fine

If you can suggest other components to upgrade to instead of the ones listed, please let me know.

I'm really clueless as what to get as far as working well together. I'm hoping what I choose is lighter and better and works well together. I'm mainly just going by what's on sale at jensonusa and what I know is a 'step up' from my old stuff.

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Destroy
    Current: Bonterage Race 22/32/44 ----> To:SHIMANO XT M752 CRANKSET 22/32/44 $109

If you can suggest other components to upgrade to instead of the ones listed, please let me know.

I'm really clueless as what to get as far as working well together. I'm hoping what I choose is lighter and better and works well together. I'm mainly just going by what's on sale at jensonusa and what I know is a 'step up' from my old stuff.
    Is this stuff worn out or are you just looking to drop some weight?

The Bontrager cranks I don't know about. The XT's seem to be a good deal for $109 but I don't know if they're any better than what you have now.

The XT derailuer is a little less fat than the LX, but both work about the same. If your LX isn't worn out and is working fine, I wouldn't bother changing it unless weight is a big issue. Even then, the LX isn't too much heavier than XT.

There's nothing special about the 970 cassette and it's not light weight either. If I was going to upgrade the cassette, I'd go with either an XT or a 990, both of which weigh alot less than the 970. All of them will work fine with the LX or XT derailuer and shifters.

There's nothing special about the 950 chain either, except for the Powerlink master link, which is very convenient to have. If the old one is worn out, replace it. If not, I wouldn't spend the money to 'upgrade' to a 950. If you do get the 950, it will work fine with the rest of the geartrain on your bike.

You're right on the front derailuer, the Deore ones work fine and are reasonably light weight and inexpensive. I'd leave it alone.

If weight is the main issue, the cassette is where you can lose the most weight for the least dollars and the installation is very easy if you have the tools to change it out. Some shops will even install the new cassette for free if you buy it from them and you have the wheel with you.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Looks like everything will work but i see only incremental upgrades. If your parts are worn you made good price vs. performance choices but if you want to improve the performance of your ride the best place to start is usually with the fork and wheels.

mtbr member
    Unless the current bottom bracket is an Octalink (possible but unlikely), you will also need a new ES 71 BB that Jenson has for $26.

Or you could go with the cheaper LX cranks that they are selling for $55 and then you need the slightly heavier ES-51 but still good (with a longer spindle length) for $19.

Wombat

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat
    Unless the current bottom bracket is an Octalink (possible but unlikely), you will also need a new ES 71 BB that Jenson has for $26.

Wombat
    Ah. See its stuff like this that can mess a person up. You are correct, I looked it up and Bont has the normal ISIS BB and the XT will not drop right in. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be simply getting 3 new frt chainrings instead then. These should fit my Bonte Race crankset right?
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...gs+4+Bolt.aspx

As far as my LX derailleur, how do you know if its worn out?
    Last edited by Destroy; 10-20-2005 at 07:36 AM.

smw
    pedal pusher

If you are really wanying to upgrade the drivetrain, go with the XTR so you gain a bit more performance and lose some weight at the same time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smw
    If you are really wanying to upgrade the drivetrain, go with the XTR so you gain a bit more performance and lose some weight at the same time.
    I hear what you are saying and I'd like to but if I'd do so I'd also lose a lot of grams of weight in my wallet.

smw
    pedal pusher
    I hear what you are saying and I'd like to but if I'd do so I'd also lose a lot of grams of weight in my wallet.

yeah i hear that. so do a bit at a time. id do the rear cog and chain first, that will make a noticable differance. Then the rear derailer. Dont bother wwith the cranks unless you can do the outer bearing model, the Hone is a cheeaper version of this.
    Sean

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat

Or you could go with the cheaper LX cranks that they are selling for $55 and then you need the slightly heavier ES-51 but still good (with a longer spindle length) for $19.

Wombat
    Last time I looked those LX cranks were only available in 170mm length.

Looking at your (OP) list of upgrades, I really don't see any upgrades. Looks like mostly the same level of components in a different brand / number.

Unless the stuff is worn out I wouldn't waste my money.... but even then you aren't really "upgrading" - just replacing worn items...

mtbr member
    I agree...go with the XT Cassette and a new chain (XTR or SRAM PC-99 (990)) first.

Replace your chain rings if they are worn. There is nothing too magical about most front rings.