mtbr member

Good crankset help on a Niner

Looking to possible pull the trigger on RIP 9. I had my search for a FS bike down to a Rumblefish and the RIP. LBS is pulling my chain on the fish so I might pull the trigger on the RIP. Riding style jump 3-5 ft. air. 6'2" 200 lbs. I love to get air!! What would be a very good light weight takes ahell of a beating crank set. It looks like alot of riders run the XT 770, with a small big ring (chain suck issues) Is there another crank set out there that would be good. What about the Hammerschmidt? I know that would work on the WFO but not the RIP. So should I look into the WFO. Any info on this would be great.
    2009 GF Cobia
    2010 RIP 9 SOLD
    2011 EMD
    Soon to add Giant 27.5

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    It would help people to give you some feedback if you were a little more specific in your question. "...light weight takes ahell of a beating..." could mean just about anythign to different people. Without knowing what you consider to be light weight there is no reference, and without knowing what cranks have lasted for your use, or you have bent/destroyed it is pretty impossible to recomend XT or Saint for example. I dont know what you are refering to with chainsuck, but that has really nothing to do with frame, or ring size at all.

Next, Hammerschmidt is a completely different system that YOU need to decide if it is something you want....and it is no where near 'light' if that indeed is a main concern of yours.

Lastly, you are now questioning the frame as well???

If you are still unsure about the frame design and travel you want AND whether you want to run a hamerschmidt or not, AND what cranks, and gearing you want.... that is a lot of questions that you are asking people (who do not even know you) to answer for you.

I would suggest you start at the begining, and evaluate the type of riding you do currently and what you see yourself doing in the next couple years. Look back at what you have used, how it has held up, what you have bent/broken/etc. That should lead you to the proper use catagory (contact the mfg and the mfg board here) as well as general level of components you should look at.

More pointed and specific questions about a single part (like, 'how does the RIP9 compare to the WFO for (my well described riding type and terrain) type of riding', 'how are you guys liking your hammerschmidt and how are they holding up', or 'how does the XT crank compare to the SLX and the Saint in terms of weight and strength') would be much easier for people to help you with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davep
    It would help people to give you some feedback if you were a little more specific in your question. "...light weight takes ahell of a beating..." could mean just about anythign to different people. Without knowing what you consider to be light weight there is no reference, and without knowing what cranks have lasted for your use, or you have bent/destroyed it is pretty impossible to recomend XT or Saint for example. I dont know what you are refering to with chainsuck, but that has really nothing to do with frame, or ring size at all.

Next, Hammerschmidt is a completely different system that YOU need to decide if it is something you want....and it is no where near 'light' if that indeed is a main concern of yours.

Lastly, you are now questioning the frame as well???

If you are still unsure about the frame design and travel you want AND whether you want to run a hamerschmidt or not, AND what cranks, and gearing you want.... that is a lot of questions that you are asking people (who do not even know you) to answer for you.

I would suggest you start at the begining, and evaluate the type of riding you do currently and what you see yourself doing in the next couple years. Look back at what you have used, how it has held up, what you have bent/broken/etc. That should lead you to the proper use catagory (contact the mfg and the mfg board here) as well as general level of components you should look at.

More pointed and specific questions about a single part (like, 'how does the RIP9 compare to the WFO for (my well described riding type and terrain) type of riding', 'how are you guys liking your hammerschmidt and how are they holding up', or 'how does the XT crank compare to the SLX and the Saint in terms of weight and strength') would be much easier for people to help you with.
    Wow. I can understand leaving out some key info. But man no need to bash!! Anyway XC is my riding style. Never have broke/bent a crank on a mtn bike. Back in the day on a bmx yes. I just got back into biking last year. With my GF being my first 29er. Ive asked some questions on the diff between the rip and WFO. The only feedback that I've received is suspension is alittle different, but for the most part feel the same.

For the chain suck. Niner made the rear triangle wider, to except a wider tire. So the clearance from the large chain ring to the lower triangler arm (chainstay) is very close and guys have had trouble. Here is a link with guys talking about this issue..So to answer you response to "I dont know what you are refering to with chainsuck, but that has really nothing to do with frame, or ring size at all." I personally think it does. After reading through this post below you might get a better understanding.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ring+clearance
    2009 GF Cobia
    2010 RIP 9 SOLD
    2011 EMD
    Soon to add Giant 27.5

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    No one is bashing anyone in any way (seriously??). You were asking for help, and I gave you some pointers that might help you get the info you want. You were asking questions that 'we' could in no way answer for you (no one else has replied to this post for a reason...).

As for the chainsuck issue, I am very well aware of what it is and why it happens. 35 years of off road cycling tends to teach you many things. Chainsuck has nothing to do with a frame, or chainring clearance. In the post that you linked, quoted from the person with said chainsuck: "A bit more reading seems to indicate that gritty mud + worn chainrings = chain suck".

Rather than getting defensive, realize that I am simply trying to help you get you the input you want.

Quote Originally Posted by GF 29er
    Looking to possible pull the trigger on RIP 9. I had my search for a FS bike down to a Rumblefish and the RIP. LBS is pulling my chain on the fish so I might pull the trigger on the RIP. Riding style jump 3-5 ft. air. 6'2" 200 lbs. I love to get air!! What would be a very good light weight takes ahell of a beating crank set. It looks like alot of riders run the XT 770, with a small big ring (chain suck issues) Is there another crank set out there that would be good. What about the Hammerschmidt? I know that would work on the WFO but not the RIP. So should I look into the WFO. Any info on this would be great.
    Why a 29er for a jump/air bike? I doubt the crank is a big deal for you in any case. The HammerSchmidt is a completely different animal from a standard crank. Make up your mind. Pull your trigger...but WTF is a Rumblefish?

PS Are you going to change your screen name now?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    I feel comfortable on a 29er vs a 26 in. With all do respect Davep, Iam just getting back into this. So when it comes down to spending alot of $$$$ I going to do some research and ask alot of questions. The wording might be the right wording but hell Iam trying. Bikinfoolferlife as to my screen name its the only thing that I could come up with. As for the Rumblefish, that GFers new FS bike. But Iam sure you new that. Sorry to be so crued on my wording and riding style just want to make the right choice!!
    2009 GF Cobia
    2010 RIP 9 SOLD
    2011 EMD
    Soon to add Giant 27.5

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

Quote Originally Posted by GF 29er
    I feel comfortable on a 29er vs a 26 in. With all do respect Davep, Iam just getting back into this. So when it comes down to spending alot of $$$$ I going to do some research and ask alot of questions. The wording might be the right wording but hell Iam trying. Bikinfoolferlife as to my screen name its the only thing that I could come up with. As for the Rumblefish, that GFers new FS bike. But Iam sure you new that. Sorry to be so crued on my wording and riding style just want to make the right choice!!
    I was just kidding you about the screen name if you ended up on other than a GF, didn't know the Rumblefish, though (too many different model names that don't mean a whole lot out there). I pretty much ignore anything from Trek (personal issue) anyways.

Just go ride a bunch of bikes, test the HammerSchmidt out if you can (I've pedaled around the block on one, interesting but weird but none of my bikes can use one and it's too expensive and of limited use in any case for my riding). Lots of choice out there, but settle down and make a good one...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    I was just kidding you about the screen name if you ended up on other than a GF, didn't know the Rumblefish, though (too many different model names that don't mean a whole lot out there). I pretty much ignore anything from Trek (personal issue) anyways.

Just go ride a bunch of bikes, test the HammerSchmidt out if you can (I've pedaled around the block on one, interesting but weird but none of my bikes can use one and it's too expensive and of limited use in any case for my riding). Lots of choice out there, but settle down and make a good one...
    Hey thanks for that Bikinfoolferlife. Ive done some reading and watched the videos on the Hammerschmidt. Looks bad ass and like you said pricy. Ebay has them for around $500. I will be test riding a RIP here in a couple of days. Even though the RIP and the WFO are pretty much the same I don't know if I should possible plan for the future and get a bike that can except the hammer. Just exploring my options on different cranks and to see how far I can stretch the wallet before the wife starts to say something.
    And yes there are to many choices.
    2009 GF Cobia
    2010 RIP 9 SOLD
    2011 EMD
    Soon to add Giant 27.5

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE