Thread: Good 2x9 setup?

I wanna go fast!
    Oct 2005

Good 2x9 setup?

Hey guys! I am looking for some advice on how to set up a 2x9 rig on my bike. I know that one big benefit is the improved chainline, but is it possible to adjust the q-factor using one of the external bearing cranksets? I would like to set up an XTR crankset in 2x9 but I am not sure where to begin. I am not sure if the 07 XTR cranks can be set up in 2x9 very well or not anyway, but I can always pick up an 06 set and do it. Anyway, please enlighten me

Former Bike Wrench
    Since its a fixed axle on the external bearing cranksets, I'm kinda lost as to how you could reduce the q-factor for a 2x9.

Seems like the way to go is to find a XTR 952 crankset and run a 109mm Ultegra bottom bracket (if you have a 68mm BB shell) or a 112.5 XTR for 73mm BB shells
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-XTR-FC-M...QQcmdZViewItem

I wanna go fast!
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Since its a fixed axle on the external bearing cranksets, I'm kinda lost as to how you could reduce the q-factor for a 2x9.

Seems like the way to go is to find a XTR 952 crankset and run a 109mm Ultegra bottom bracket (if you have a 68mm BB shell) or a 112.5 XTR for 73mm BB shells
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-XTR-FC-M...QQcmdZViewItem
    Thanks for the input! I think that if I go that route, I will probably go with the Middleburn RS7 Duo and a light ISIS BB...I have a 68mm shell, so I should be able to go with a 108mm spindle, right? Thanks again!

Former Bike Wrench

Should Work

Quote Originally Posted by AggieXCRacer
    Thanks for the input! I think that if I go that route, I will probably go with the Middleburn RS7 Duo and a light ISIS BB...I have a 68mm shell, so I should be able to go with a 108mm spindle, right? Thanks again!
    That should work, though Shimano Octalink BB's have proven to be far superior as far as durability than any ISIS BB's...that's why I'd go Shimano, given the choice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I run a Middleburn Duo on square (UN-73) and am very happy with it. The chain line is great (outer ring is where the middle was on my old LX HTII), stiff enough for my 140lbs, and look like money! I'd personally stay away from ISIS, I've had too many ISIS woes on my cross bike to ever buy another ISIS unit again. I thought I could get away with a 110 spindle on my square Duo's, but the drive side would bottom out on the bb shell. Middleburn recommends a 113, which does work great. I'd email them and ask what spindle with you can go with before buying a bb.

Another option with the new XTR, or any other 4 bolt crank is to run a bigger granny and middle ring. I think Specialities TA makes a 28t granny and 40t middle ring. Check at www.starbike.com to see if they have them. I've ordered from them before an they were great.

Here's a pic of my Duo's:
    Attached Images Attached Images