Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Going 2x9, with XX Crankset

650 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  quax 
#1 ·
Current setup:

XTR Crankset, 22-32-43
SRAM 11-32 cassette

I REALLY want to go with 2 chainrings up front (for racing XC). I'm not all that great with figuring out ratios and gears that will be wasted or duplicates. With a 26-39 up front, which 9spd cassette gearing would I benefit most with in terms of getting the most bang/gears for my buck.

11-32? 11-34? 12-36?

sticking with 9spd right now, though obviously a 10spd rear would benefit me more in terms of gears

#2 ·
no one will be able to anwser that question for you. This depends so much on your riding style and the terrain of our area.

I used to ride 26-39/11-32 myself early this season. Mainly 4-6hrs events. In most races I've hardly ever used the 26 up front but I could have lived with something smaller than 39/32. In particular at the end of a race. Then two races in the Alps showed me that 26-32 was not enough. For those two reasons I switched to 10spd 11-36.

My advice, since you already own a 11-32, simply start with this it see how it works for your riding style/terrain.

Didn't no there is a 9spd 12-36.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.