Thread: Going 2x9 ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Going 2x9 ...

What happens if I use a 2x10 FD for a 2x9 set up?

While were at it, do I have to change my crankset to a compact crankset as well?

mtbr member
    I'm running a Sram XO 2x10 FD with a 2x9 setup. Shifters are Sram XO twisties. The 9spd chain is a tad wider than the 10spd chain so you may experience rubbing between the chain and the front derailleur when in the largest gear combinations.

As for the crankset - it all depends on your desired front chain ring combination and the BCD needed to achieve the combo. Also consider clearance of the outer ring's teeth (middle ring position) and the chain stay. Here I am running Middleburn RS7 cranks, 104bcd spider and 38t/26t middleburn chain rings. I did install a 2.5mm spacer on the drive side of the bb to allow for clearance of the 38T chain ring at the chain stay .

Going 2x9 ...-p1010062.jpg

Going 2x9 ...-p1010063.jpg

Going 2x9 ...-q_geared.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for that response and the pictures to boot. Now I'moff to hunt for my double FD and shifter combo.

mtbr member
    Not trying to hijack the thread but I am. What is a good front ring tooth set with a 2x9.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    From what I've read here the 36x26 seems to be popular. But since I neither have the cardio or the leg power, I'll stick with the 32x22 combo.

mtbr member
    So basically you just drop the big ring? How would I go about doing that? What spacers would I ned and where can I get them? What shifter do you use on the front?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    To start with, yes. After that it will be trial and error since the post have only one response to my first query