mtbr member
    May 2011

Going 1x10, not sure what all I need

As the title says I want to try going 1x10 on my SC Nickel. Currently using a X0 38/26 crank with a 10spd X9 rear derailleur. What do I need to buy to make this crank work without a bash guard as well as what chain guide would be recommended?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Pick a chain guide based on what you ride and where you want to mount it. Seat tube, ISCG, or BB mount. pick a chainring size and buy a single speed chainring. Pull off the FD, shifter, cable and chainrings.

Lots of info here, you should do a search.
    Transition TransAM 29er
    Stan's Arch EX
    Thomson Bits

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I think I will try a WolfTooth 30th chainring but am having a hard time finding a good chain guide. Most say they work for a 32t-42t not finding much luck for a 30t.

mtbr member
    What kind of mount? ISCG? BB? Seat tube?
    Do you want to run a bash? Integrated bash? Lower and upper, or just upper guide....
    Lots of questions.
    I just bought the RaceFace Narrow Wide chainring and love it....they make a 30t as well.

MRP has the 1x chainguide and AMG BB mount that fits 28-32t. I like the AMG because it has an integrated bash.
    Transition TransAM 29er
    Stan's Arch EX
    Thomson Bits

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brig View Post
    I just bought the RaceFace Narrow Wide chainring and love it....they make a 30t as well.
    I'm running these too and they work.

Do you really need a full chainguide? You could opt for a type 2 SRAM derailleur instead of the chainguide.

mtbr member
    no need for chain guide, get narrow wide from raceface (about 1/2 price of wolftooth, works same) and clutch rear der.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Depends on if he wants to replace his derailleur. I had iscg tabs and a perfectly fine x9 rd. didn't see the benefit of changing.
    Transition TransAM 29er
    Stan's Arch EX
    Thomson Bits

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Well I got a MRP Bling Ring, going to give that a shot hopefully next week and go from there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I went 1x10 earlier this year with a 30T front ring and X9 Type 2 rear derailleur. Cassette is 11x36. Unfortunately the chain will fall off the ring occasionally. Usually it's when going high speed with the chain mid-cassette or lower (smaller cogs).

So I am looking for a lite chain guide to prevent this. What prevents a chain guide that mounts on the seat tube to accomodate a 30t ring as they all specify that it starts at 32t?

I presume that if you adjust the height on the seat tube it should work with 30t. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
    S.

mtbr member
    Have you checked out the Bionicon guide?
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    Have you checked out the Bionicon guide?
    I did. I am unsure how much it would help considering that the guide itself is made for 2x10 and 3x10 set-up so the guide itself will swing left to right to accomodate the different chainline from the different chainring.

I presume it will still swing in the rough. But it may provide just enough resistance to prevent the chain from falling off.

I have to find if somebody else has tried it for the same set-up I have.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Sylvain View Post
    I went 1x10 earlier this year with a 30T front ring and X9 Type 2 rear derailleur. Cassette is 11x36. Unfortunately the chain will fall off the ring occasionally. Usually it's when going high speed with the chain mid-cassette or lower (smaller cogs).
    Have you tried removing a few links to tighten up the chain line. If you're using a "narrow-wide" ring like RaceFace or Wolftooth with proper chain setup, you shouldn't be dropping your chain or need a chain guide. I have an X9 derailleur with 32t WT ring and haven't lost my chain even on drops and tech downhill.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kickhorse View Post
    Have you tried removing a few links to tighten up the chain line. If you're using a "narrow-wide" ring like RaceFace or Wolftooth with proper chain setup, you shouldn't be dropping your chain or need a chain guide. I have an X9 derailleur with 32t WT ring and haven't lost my chain even on drops and tech downhill.
    I did keep the same chain length I had with the 2x10 set-up. After a couple of rides I did not have any issue but then the chain fell off in my 3rd or 4th ride. I will try removing a pair of chain links. Thanks for the advice.

I will also be installing a Zee RD with XT shifters after reading that the X9 Type2 should not work smoothly with a 11-36 cassette. Max is theoretically 11-34 according to the Sram compatibility table.

BTW, I am using a MRP Bling Ring and the bike is Devinci Dixon with Split Pivot.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Sylvain View Post
    BTW, I am using a MRP Bling Ring and the bike is Devinci Dixon with Split Pivot.
    The MRP Blingring is a SS ring, but it's not going to hold the chain like the Race Face Narrow/Wide or Wolftooth chainrings. The RF and WT rings have narrow and wide teeth which fit the profile of inner and outer chainlinks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    no need for chain guide, get narrow wide from raceface (about 1/2 price of wolftooth, works same) and clutch rear der.
    For those running a non-direct mount single-ring: may I ask what spider arm you're using?

I converted my x9 2x10 into 1x10 with a MRP Bling Ring and sram type 2 derail, and didn't realize it wasn't a wide/narrow profile ring. I've been using a paul chain keeper and it's ok once I got the chainline setup right; I'll only drop a chain in the worst of rooted terrain.

But now I'm considering going with a Race Face/Wolftooth/FSA wide/narrow ring and I don't know if I could use my old x9 spider or if I should buy something else? Thanks!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Why not just go for the Wolftooth spider less Ring, It will bolt right up to your X9 crank.

Or if you don't want to go that way, If your spider is for 38-24 or bigger you are to limited with that spider so take a look at North shore billet.

Quote Originally Posted by Armada_23 View Post
    For those running a non-direct mount single-ring: may I ask what spider arm you're using?

I converted my x9 2x10 into 1x10 with a MRP Bling Ring and sram type 2 derail, and didn't realize it wasn't a wide/narrow profile ring. I've been using a paul chain keeper and it's ok once I got the chainline setup right; I'll only drop a chain in the worst of rooted terrain.

But now I'm considering going with a Race Face/Wolftooth/FSA wide/narrow ring and I don't know if I could use my old x9 spider or if I should buy something else? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Why not just go for the Wolftooth spider less Ring, It will bolt right up to your X9 crank.

Or if you don't want to go that way, If your spider is for 38-24 or bigger you are to limited with that spider so take a look at North shore billet.
    Thanks for your reply, Muzzanic.

I'm looking at the 104 bcd setup because I can't find a direct mount 38t ring. I do a lot of dirt-road racing on my mtb so I need that extra top end speed.

My x9 spider arm was a 42/28 so it would appear that I'll have to pick up something like the north shore billet spider. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    The MRP Blingring is a SS ring, but it's not going to hold the chain like the Race Face Narrow/Wide or Wolftooth chainrings. The RF and WT rings have narrow and wide teeth which fit the profile of inner and outer chainlinks.
    Thanks for the information. I had not realized the difference.
    Last evening I have changed the rear derailleur for a Zee and removed a couple of links from the chain. I'll test that set-up. If that still does not work I'll probably get one of the rings you suggested.

Cheers,
    S