Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: ghost shifting

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    98

    ghost shifting

    will chain lube fix ghost shifting and all around noisiness?

  2. #2
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,686
    Quote Originally Posted by airrick
    will chain lube fix ghost shifting and all around noisiness?
    no it wont

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    98
    ok thanks, in that case what will?

  4. #4
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,144
    Quote Originally Posted by airrick
    ok thanks, in that case what will?
    Depends on the cause. Happens for different reasons on different bikes. It may not even be ghost shifting.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  5. #5
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,686
    Quote Originally Posted by airrick
    ok thanks, in that case what will?
    easiest & cheapest fix would be adjusting the deraillier.
    when you say noise what do you mean? chain rubbing? squeeks? brakes rubbing?
    chain rubbing is prob. deraillier adjustment
    look at the chainrings and cassette, if the teeth are pointed, hook shaped or bent you prob. need new ones.
    measure your chain from pin to pin 1' if its off more than 1/16" get a new one
    check your deraillier hangar, if its bent it can be bent back or replaced

    that should do it

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Henry Chinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    easiest & cheapest fix would be adjusting the deraillier.
    when you say noise what do you mean? chain rubbing? squeeks? brakes rubbing?
    chain rubbing is prob. deraillier adjustment
    look at the chainrings and cassette, if the teeth are pointed, hook shaped or bent you prob. need new ones.
    measure your chain from pin to pin 1' if its off more than 1/16" get a new one
    check your deraillier hangar, if its bent it can be bent back or replaced

    that should do it
    Don't forget to inspect/clean/lube cables and housing, and replace if necessary...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mjsca07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    523
    I've had this recently. From my research it's mainly due to cable tension. Adjust your cable on your rear derailleur. My understanding is when you put a load on your pedals there's a bit of tension put on the frame and cables get stretched a bit. This could cause ghost shifting. As with the other posts, it could be other reasons as well but start with the cable tension. To appy tension, adjust the knob on your trigger out (counterclockwise), and to loosen it you'd turn it inward (clockwise). I played with mine untill it shifted well and ghost shifts went away.

  8. #8
    ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Reputation: fred-da-trog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2,407

    What they said plus............

    this little gem has eliminated all my shifting problems. A bit pricey but worth it.
    http://www.parktool.com/products/det...=48&item=DAG-1
    Do a search for best price.
    .

    I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    471
    for "ghost shifting" first check your cable routing and housing. I took my new FS bike out to the trail last weekend and it ghost shifted horribly. Every time the suspension compressed it would shift gears. Upon examination it turns out the section of rear derailleur cable housing between the front and rear triangle was too short and causing tension on the cable when the suspension moved. I replaced the housing with a longer piece and now it shifts perfect on the trail!!! Then make sure the derailleur is adjusted correctly.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    207
    I had a friend stop by with some ghost shifting issues, and was able to solve the problem by tightening the chainring bolts, and making sure the back wheel was aligned properly.

  11. #11
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,465
    Quote Originally Posted by mjsca07
    To appy tension, adjust the knob on your trigger out (counterclockwise), and to loosen it you'd turn it inward (clockwise). I played with mine untill it shifted well and ghost shifts went away.

    If it was shifting properly recently, than this will most likely fix your problem. Just remember, little adjustments until you get it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •