Thread: Ghost shifting

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Ghost shifting

I am running a 9 speed setup. I recently installed a new chain, and it is about 1 chain link shorter than my old. I have my front derailleur tuned perfect, and my rear derailleur is tuned good, except that it ghost shifts under load when I am pushing middle ring up front and fifth cog in the back. It's bad enough that it's immpossible to sprint from that gear combo. It also happens in middle 4, but only under really hevy load. Also in middle ring up front, I find that pushing to harder gears in the back is slightly erratic.

So is this a tuning problem, or should I lengthen my chain? Wrapping the chain around the big cog in back and big ring in front, sram recommend that it's 2 extra links bigger, including the powerlink chain, but I recently measured my new chain, and it is 1 link shorter than it should be. This shouldn't matter too much, should it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    more details:

*what bike: HT or FS ?
    *what else is now - just the chain?
    *how worn are the cassette and chainrings?

note: i probably won't have the answer, but the above are some Qs that i think will help.

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Shouldn't matter much in the middle ring. How worn are your cassette and chainrings? How old are they?

Meh.
    Make sure there's proper cable tension, check the wear on the chainrings and cassette. Also check that there are no stiff links in the chain and that the derailleur hanger is straight.