Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

ghost shift in the rough? Normal?

578 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  swift 
#1 ·
I find that i am now getting ghost shifting during short, rooted, fast climbs where it gets a bit rough. Does this happen to anyone else? Could i change out the spring for a stiffer one? THanks

#2 ·
uncomplientspud said:
I find that i am now getting ghost shifting during short, rooted, fast climbs where it gets a bit rough. Does this happen to anyone else? Could i change out the spring for a stiffer one? THanks
I am getting this on my fully. Blame it mostly on the tight spacing of the 9-speed drive train. Rarely happens on my hardtails.

Time to revive the robustness of wide spaced 6-speed cassettes and related parts.

#3 ·
I agree with Shiggy, that narrower chains and cassettes are far more sensitive to finely tuned trim, but it shouldn't be enough alone to cause ghost shifting.

Since you have the problem only under heavy load, look for how frame or suspension flex might be affecting cable length. Possibly badly seated ferrules, or a housing cut too short and no longer forming a free loop at max flex.

This is also a problem on some road bikes, where chainstay flex, causes ghost shifting on hard climbs. If all else fails, try running full housing all the way from levers to RD.

#6 ·
Try this to help analyze the problem. Put the bike into any middle gear and use a marker to make a reference mark on the bare wire and chainstay. Have a friend flex the frame vigorously while you watch the marks. If the wire moves, you know that flexing is somehow changing the gear wire tension and causing the shifts.

Knowing the cause, is the first step in finding the solution.

BTW- Savageman may have a point, the lower cable response of Sram derailleurs means the same amount of cable movement, would only have half the effect, a difference that may be key.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.