mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Getting a Zee derailleur to work with a 11-40 cassette

I'm having a little trouble getting this setup right. I've got a 1x10 with a 30T oval, zee derailleur, and attempting to mount a Sunrace 11-40 cassette. The chain was a little too long at first, with too much slack on the 11T. Then I took a link out and it was too short for the 40T. Not sure what I can try other than getting a medium cage derailleur. Maybe I need to add a link back and mess with the b screw??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Is the Zee a FR or DH derailleur?

Is the B-Link/Bracket Axle Unit in a horizontal position?

Deore XT Frame Compatibility

RAKC
    The set up works fine, why do you say too short on the 40t? Or too much slack on the 11t?

Chain length is big cog on cassette, not through the derailleur, wrapped around chain ring to where it would meet plus 2 full links. Then route through derailleur and connect the chain with the quick link and done.

There is going to be a little slack when on 11T but I've been riding the set up for 2 years now without issues. I did buy a goat link from wolf tooth to get shifting back to as good as with shimano cassette.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

I've got the Goat link on there, BUT you were right it wasn't horizontal. So I moved it to a horizontal position, but the little tab that serves as a stop isn't touching anything so it looks like it could rotate down if anything loosened up. Does that tab need to be in contact with the hanger?

It looked way too slack on the 11T but that was probably because of the horizontal issue. Then it was too short because it couldn't get around the 40T (got maybe halfway on before it was too tight).

RAKC
    I have seen more than once that people have a goofy hanger on their bike that allows the rd to sit in some stupid positions. The goat link has a pin that rests against the stop.

I do remember not long ago some discussion about direct mount derailleurs from shimano that requires a goofy hanger. Didn't that that ever materialized though I could be wrong.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    When I installed my Zee short cage and Praxis 11-40 cassette I also dropped 2 teeth on the front chainring on my hardtail. I used the original hanger and only needed to adjust the B screw and it works great with the original chain length. Are you installing this on a HT or as your name applies...a Rumblefish?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It's on a Carbon HT that has a funky hanger that sort of sticks straight down. If the tab were to rest against it, the natural position Of the axle unit is about 8 o'clock.

My plan is to add back a link to the chain and see if I can use the B-screw to sort it out

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Post a photo of the setup.

Should of posted this thread on here: Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks - Mtbr.com

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish29er View Post
    It's on a Carbon HT that has a funky hanger that sort of sticks straight down
    The direct mount hanger on the left doesn't use a B-Link/Bracket Axle Unit, the normal derailleur hanger on the right needs a B-Link/Bracket Axle Unit.

Getting a Zee derailleur to work with a 11-40 cassette-1015989d1442458032-xtr-m980-rear-derailleur-usable-direct-mount-frame-dmlink_b2link.jpg

the natural position Of the axle unit is about 8 o'clock.
    Sounds about right on a normal derailleur hanger, some people mount the derailleur at 6 o'clock and find that it won't work properly at that angle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The Zee FR has a capacity of 11-36, so it sounds like your pushing it with 11-40. You might be able to get it to work with GoatLink but i'd consult with wolftooth first. You could still end up have issues with chain growth.

AL

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    So, I got it to work sort of. After getting the chain length right, and installing the goat link, it came down to the b screw. I had to compromise to get it to work. Just enough to to keep tension on the 11T, and it didn't shift on the large sprockets very well. Adjust the b screw on the largest sprocket, and the chain was too loose on the small sprockets. I was able to ride a fairly technical 4 mile loop near my house, but the shifting really was not great. I think I need to get a RADR cage or a medium/long cage derailleur.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Some photos of the setup might be useful in this thread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

This is with the b screw adjusted to a 5mm gap between the pulley and the 40T

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    What's it look like on the 40 tooth sprocket.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

So here it is once I have put enough tension on the b-screw to get ride of the slack chain at 11T. It shifts up to the larger sprockets pretty well, but shifting down to the smaller ones suffers. I could get by, but it's really not too good.

I've gotten it to an acceptable, but not as good as stock, point with hyper fine tuning of the limit and b-screws. I think things will wear out quickly like this. I ended up biting the bullet and ordering a RADR cage, which should allow for a more appropriate level of b-tension, and still be able to take up chain slack.

Could the fact that it's an older chain and a new cassette be part of the issue?

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    There's more then a 5mm gap between the pulley and the 40T in that last photo.

Should that goatlink be on that angle or be more horizontal?

Look at the setup of some Zee rd's with 11-42 cassettes: Wolf or OneUp 42T Cassette Cog with Short Cage Derailleur

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Update: the RADR cage with the stock b-link is the way to go. Great shifting.

I tried the goat link by itself, and couldn't get the tension right.

I tried the goat link AND the RADR an I couldn't get the b screw right. It was better than just the goat link though.

Finally, the RADR cage with the stock b-link has performed very very well.

Edit: I think the goat link would probably work well if using a medium or long cage derailleur for the project.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rumblefish29er; 10-20-2016 at 06:06 AM.

Chris Bling
    I ran a 11-40 with a 30 tooth ring with no problems with my Zee. You need the FR model, not the DH. I adjusted the B tension quite a bit to get it to ride right but otherwise it was perfect. Once I bumped to the 42 tooth, I used a RADr cage

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ordered Sunrace 11-40 for my Zee. Will be pairing with new KMC X10.93 chain, 30T RF NW and Saint shifter. My Zee is fitted with some sort of mid cage, however not RADr cage. Looks like either Deore or SLX cage. With XT 11-36 shifts flawlessly so I'm hoping the mid cage will be the ticket for good performance. Hopefully I can get away without Goatlink, they are not the cheapest shipped here and at that point I may as well just pickup 11 speed XT mech and make this a mid upgrade and finish up upgrading to 11 speed when the chain and cassette is dead. Will post once I have a few rides in.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1

mtbr member
    I'm following this. I have a 2x10 XT drivetrain on my Tallboy with a 22/32 and 11-36 cassette. I'd like to go to the 11-40. I'm thinking it should shift just fine. At 68 y/o, I'd like a lower bail out gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander