mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Gears Skipping? Help please

I just bought my first serious bike, and I have no clue about gears or how they work, and thus now that I have a problem - I dont have a clue how to fix the problem.

When I got the bike (second hand) it was missing a chain and was told there were some problems with the gears. Well I went to a shop and bought a new chain, got it fitted, and the gears looked at.

When the bike was ready, they said that the chain might not fit properly and that I may need to replace a few more parts for it to fit. I have been riding it a fair bit, but so far it always seems like the bike is never fully in gear. Also, there is always a rattling sound, like the chain isnt properly sitting on the cogs, and only about 4 combinations of gears actually catch on the chain.

Just to top it off, I can never peddle standing up. Every time I put weight on the pedals, or try to really put some tension on when im going up hills or up a curb, I just get a horrible grinding sound and it seems like the whole chain skips on the teeth.

What should I do? Will I have to buy a completely new set up for my gears? I dont know what parts make up and are responsible for, changing the gears. I hear all these things like "cogset" "derailleurs" "crankset" and "cassettes".

Despite these problems, its still a lovely bike and I just want something that will be no hassles on a variety of terrain for multiple hour rides.

mtbr member
    sounds like you have a worn cassette, which the LBS should have noticed and offered to fix. Most LBS' will want to fix anything that shows the slightest sign of wear, even if not really necessary. First I think I'd find a new LBS just because their current mechanic doesn't sound like he knows what he's doing. The bike shop as a whole maybe okay, just poor service area.

Once you find a new place, ask them to check your cassette. If you need a new one, ask for a lower end model since they work just as good as expensive ones, just weigh more.

That should fix your problem.

also if cassette is worn, have them check your middle chain ring.

Most riders hear will burn through 1 or 2 casettes a year.