mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Gearing question

My new to me Scott sportster P6 seems to run out of gear on downhills and I was wondering if I could simply change the cassette? It has 48 38 28 up front and 37 14 28 in the rear. Also does anyone have a link on adjusting the front derailer when it is in the tallest gear up front it just touches the derailer making a little noise?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by noobie39 View Post
    My new to me Scott sportster P6 seems to run out of gear on downhills and I was wondering if I could simply change the cassette? It has 48 38 28 up front and 37 14 28 in the rear.
    I believe that bike has a freewheel instead of cassette. You may want to contact a dealer to be sure. A smaller cog will give you higher gearing. 13, 12, or 11. Here's a 11-28. You need a $5 freewheel tool to change it. http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Speed-...432113&sr=1-14

Quote Originally Posted by noobie39 View Post
    Also does anyone have a link on adjusting the front derailer when it is in the tallest gear up front it just touches the derailer making a little noise?
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...ur-adjustments

If it rubs the inner cage only when on the largest rear cogs, that's fairly normal. Just downshift to the middle ring for the same gear ratios.

If it rubs on the outer plate when on the smallest rear cogs.....
    Shift to the big ring. Try to pull the der outwards with your hand. Can you move it at all?
    If not, you need to loosen the high limit screw. If it still rubs or if you could move it with your hand, loosen the barrel adjuster (counter-clockwise) until it quits rubbing when on the smallest rear cog.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    thanks for the info