mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Gearing Question

With triple chainring bikes there is some overlap in gearing with the different chainrings. So the same gear ratio can be obtained in different chainrings. My question is, in the same gear ratio is the pedaling effort the same in the different chainrings?

mtbr member
    no, its not, i've tried, but its not that much of a difference. you'll only notice it if you're switching to different combinations with the same gear ratio on purpose. i usually just shift to whichever combination is faster to switch to.

MTB B'dos
    When I first started I was also told about over-laping gear combos depending on the diff chainring and cassette combos and that pedaling in the bigger chainring was generally easier Ratio to Ratio. I have found this to generally be true - i.e. pedaling in say Big-Ring/3 is almost the same ratio as Middle-Ring/5 on a lot of cassette's (actually the ratio's generally are mostly somwhere between as in that case between cog 5 & 6). Experiment with what feels and works best for you and remember that on road it's fine to push the bigger gears where yoiu can get traction easily but on off-road on difficult climbs try to keep a comfortable combo that you can sit spinning - I suffer from "Big Gear Itis" and am constantly reminded when I ride with the better riders and am tryign to mash up slippy/loose/technical climbs.

Shiggy has a XL gear calculator I think on his site, so if you check there you can get it and use it to compare your gear ratio's.
    Last edited by LyNx; 12-04-2005 at 06:56 PM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gibsonra
    With triple chainring bikes there is some overlap in gearing with the different chainrings. So the same gear ratio can be obtained in different chainrings. My question is, in the same gear ratio is the pedaling effort the same in the different chainrings?
    There really isn't that much useable overlap if you disclude cross gear combos.

The pedalling effort will always be the easiest in the largest chainring possible. With smaller chainrings the pitch radius of the gear changes as you pedal since the chainring isn't round due to the low number of teeth. The more teeth a chainring has, the smaller the % change in pitch radius will be as the chainring turns.

When you pedal in the granny ring it always feels choppy and when you pedal in the large chainring it feels smooth. You can easily feel the power loss in the granny ring. Also, if you are in a larger chainring in the front, you will need to be in a larger cog in the rear to maintain the same speed making the drivetrain more effcient again.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.