mtbr member
    Mar 2007

gearing basics-pls help

There are a couple of bikes on e-bay that i am considering buying. One is a 1x9. Could someone please explain the functionality of a 1x9. It has a one large ring and an SRAM 9 speed cassette with SRAM r dr. I assume this is a setup for freeride downhill. I will not be doing freeride much,the majority of the time I will be doing xc and casual riding. I am out of shape and am concerned about climbing with this setup.

1. If I was in the smallest gear, (rear cassette) would it be like riding a singlespeed?

2. In the larger gears I am assuming it is more difficult to pedal, use for increase speed?

3. The crank setup is Shimano Saint single. Could I make this a double cog crank just by buying the smaller cog or would I have to buy the double cog preassembled.

I do not have alot of big climbs with the terrain I will be riding. Mostly small climbs of 100 ft or so.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

neutiquam erro
    1x9s are an increasingly popular set-up these days.

Since most of your trail riding is typically in the middle chainring, many people (including me) have ditched the "big ring" and "granny ring" and the front derailleur altogether -- and that's a 1x9 set-up in a nutshell. And, yes, i do have a SS too

It's not a DH set-up at all - it's most popular with straight-up XC & casual riders, in fact.

1.) It's not at all like a SS. It's simply all 9 gears in back from the middle ring up front - this is what you are doing most of the time anyway.

2.) You use the middle chainring for a 1x9 - not the biggest chainring of the three. Now, you can get a larger chainring, but reasonably only up to a 38t - any bigger than that and you'd lose out big-time on low-gear capabiltity. For comparison, your typical "big ring" is 44t, and your typical middle ring is 32t. Yes, you do lose out on the speed available with a "big ring" and some of the wall-climbing capability a "granny ring" gives, but most people gear their 1x9 to accomodate 99% of what they ride, and that's well worth being able to ditch that evil satan-spawn front derailluer. I run a 34t chainring up front and a 11/34 9-speed cassette in back. Works beautifully and gives me all the high and low gear options I could ever want. I will never, ever use a front derailleur ever again. Ever.

3.) No. Those Saints are built as either 1 or 2 or 3 chainring only. I have a 34t single ring Saint on my SS 29er. It's a rockstar of a crankset, but you can't just add another ring to it - you'd have to get a whole new set if you really want more rings up front.

What size chainring is on that Saint right now? Since it's a 1x9 setup, it's probably the 34t build, and then I'd just leave it. What the range of the cassette - 11/32 or 11/34? An 11/34 will give you that little bit of a lower gear, which is nice when you have a 34t (versus the more common 32t) up front.

Here's a thread all about 1x9s. Here's another thread about some good info on chain length with a 1x9.

Cheers, Chris
    Last edited by Chris130; 06-08-2007 at 08:59 PM.
    [SIZE=2]Now is the time on Sprockets when we hammer.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]'05 Blur Classic (1x9) || '06 SIR9 (SS) || '06 Brompton P6L[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey Chris,

Thanks for the info. The rear cassette is a SRAM PG990. Not sure of the ratio. I have not ridden since the old BMX days and am not familiar with gearing. What gear would you use to climb, the small gear on the rear cassette. Which gear on the cassette would be similar to the gear on a SS-the small or middle. I am just trying to visualize how many upper and lower gears I would have vs a SS. Eight higher or four higher and three lower, ect.

Best,

Robert

neutiquam erro
    Well, a 34t chainring is a pretty common SS chainring size too, and what people run for a cog in the back on their SS depends totally on their local conditions and riding style - it can vary a lot even among SSers who all ride the same trails. SSers are pretty personal about their gearing choices, but I guess that's the beauty of SSing.

On a 1x9, you'll have some lower gears and some higher gears than any given SS - how many at each end is difficult to compare because any one individual's SS preferences vary so much.

But, just for grins here, a common SS setup with a 34t up front would be a cog somewhere in the 18t to 22t range. So, compare that to a cassette that goes from 11t to 32or34t, and you can see the difference.

Why are you comparing this to SS? Don't over-think this whole 1x9 thing - as I said before, a 1x9 is just formally committing to how you normally ride (which is typically that the vast majority of your time is spent in the middle ring). In all but some extreme circumstances, you'll learn to live with out those other front chainrings very happily. Drink the kool-aid and ditch the evil front derailluer!

Cheers, Chris

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks Chris,

I always liked kool-aid anyway. I guess I will try the 1x9 flavor thanks to you,

Best,

Robert

neutiquam erro
    Attaboy!

You'll dig it. Maintaining your drivetrain will be so much easier without the front derailluer in the mix. Keeping a 3x9 drivetrain tuned & tweaked was putting me completely over the edge until I discovered the 1x9 option here on MTBR. I haven't looked back since....

Plus, you free up a little more bar space for toys (GPS, computer, bell, whatever) without the FD shifter up there any more.

Be sure to check out that 1x9 thread I linked earlier too - lots of great ideas & info in there. I know it's really long, but it's worth checking out!

Cheers, Chris