mtbr member

Gear Combinations

As I am mostly 99% roadie and now 1% Mnt. Biker I would just like to hear some feed back on gear combination do's and don'ts. My road bike is equiped with Dura 10 speed, 53-39 front rings and rear 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-25T. As a rule I try to never cross chain. Ride a combination of 53/21,23,25 or 39/12,13,14. Mostly becuase I don't to prematurely wear out my chain rings, chain, etc=$$$$ and becuase I can find a close ratio with another combination. Now I've just gotten my new Blur and think I will practice some of the same. But now that I have a middle ring, I believe I can ride all the rear cogs while in the middle ring. Does that sound right? What do you guys use as a practice?
    Thanks.

banned
    For the big ring, use 5-9, middle use all, granny use 1-5

This all depends on how well your chainline is. If it's spot on, then use that.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Except cog position usually starts counting from the outer cog, if a number is used at all. Park Tool uses the terms "outermost cog" and "innermost cog."

To avoid confusion: Use the largest 3-4 cogs with the small ring, all but the largest 3-4 with the large ring and all cogs with the middle ring
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common