mtbr member

Gear cables with or without teflon ?

What do you think is better, running Teflon coated cables or simple cables with some lube (with maybe Rock Cable magic) from time to time?
    I buy a Sram Flak Jacket cable set and they came with no Teflon coated cables, and now I'm putting the Shimano coated or Sram no coated.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have tried both methods, through this and last years winter.

I think the major issue is: the type and quality of seal to prevent dirt and crap getting into the cable housing.

Most cable housing ferrules just basically end at the cable stop. So dirt, and water can and will find there way in. This causes the cable to stick and shifting problems.

I ran both teflon and non teflon cables, with and with out lube. What worked the best was lots of pedro's dry lube in the cable housing. This prevent the water and ice from forming inside.

This winter I got the XTR cable housings that have a rubber sheild that prevents the dirt and water from getting inside, I have yet to lube or do anything with the tefloen coated cables,.... and it workd great.

My point get full length housings or the special seals and you won't have to lube your cables. Then the teflon works great.

If not just lube it up. BTW go to a motercycle shop the have special cable lubes and gizmos to inject it way cheaper than bike shops.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I use Teflon coated with full length housing (if possible), no lube.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

LBS Manager
    Nothing beats Nokon cables they have been absolutly perfect for me. You get one of the lightest cable systems out there with all the benifits of running full length housing. I use tri flow or road rage in them.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    Nothing beats Nokon cables they have been absolutly perfect for me. You get one of the lightest cable systems out there with all the benifits of running full length housing. I use tri flow or road rage in them.
    Do you need one or two of the Nokon cable "sets" to do a bike? 55.1"/1.4m doesn't sound enough for front and rear shifter and I'm not near my bike to check it...

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    Do you need one or two of the Nokon cable "sets" to do a bike? 55.1"/1.4m doesn't sound enough for front and rear shifter and I'm not near my bike to check it...
    I did an 18" rocky mountain ETSX with one set. With Nokon Cables you run much shorter housing lengths. They are so bendable that you do not need long sweeping loops in the housings. I have an XO rear der so I don't have that loop to deal with and I had some pices left over.

banned
    The teflon coatings flake off in about two rides. I just use plain cable and full housing now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    The teflon coatings flake off in about two rides. I just use plain cable and full housing now.
    Or after 3 years of use in my experience.

I use XTR teflon cables (no lube) , housings and the seals- never, ever have shifting problems.
    I bike; therefore, I work

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by VT no 1 2 or 3

I use XTR teflon cables (no lube) , housings and the seals- never, ever have shifting problems.
    Eight years in my experience:

Standard cables, bulk housing. Works the same as the fancy stuff.

PS- Flak Jacket housings suck.

conjoinicorned
    you actually use the same cables for 3 years?
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    I did once with the old gore ride on cables .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    Yep. Finally changed them last year when the teflon finally wore off the front cable where it goes through the guide under the bottom bracket and started groaning. The cables on one of my road bikes are seven years old and still shifts great- of course it has downtube shifters so the cables are pretty short.
    I bike; therefore, I work

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Longevity aside, surely Teflon coated shifter cables shift easier than basic ones?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Same experience here: my Teflon flakes.

Stainless QBP or Shimano cables for me, no coating.

I do like to spray some dry silicon spray into the full length housing.

speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    So, the teflon is best because it acts like little ball bearings inside the housing. Awesome.