go chase the sunset

New question here. Gear cable housing

I was thinking about changing the way the housing is being run in my gear cables. Currently they're going housed from my shift levers to cable stops under my top tube, running bare to cable stops near the end of the top tube. From there, for my front derailleur there is a short bit of housed cable to a cable stop on my seat tube, which runs bare wire down to the derailleur. For the rear derailleur, there is a short bit of housing down to a chain stop on my seat stay, and the wire runs bare to a final cable stop at the back from where it runs housed to the derailleur. (There's 5 pieces of housing at current in all).

Here's a pic to make things clear:

What I'd like to do is to run full length housing, but that's not possible since for various reasons I don't want to drill out the cable stops. What I was thinking of was "staggered" full length housing - i.e. running housing both sides of the cable stops. Has anyone done this, and how did they find it? Also, is there an appropriate way to estimate the lengths of housing I'll need for the parts which had no housing before? Just measure the straight line distance and use that exact, with no fudge factor? The reason I'd need to know how long the housings have to be in advance would be that I'd be custom ordering the wires/housing which are rather special indeed (and horrendously pricy)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If you want full length housing, you could zip tie. Not the prettiest, but it would work.

Meh.
    Routing the housing as described would not really have any benefits. The ends will be additional friction, and those are still points where grit and grime can enter.

neutiquam erro
    Agree 100% on all points with XSL_WiLL. If you don't want to dremel out the guides, there are solutions (here are some possible examples) that are "cleaner" than zip-ties.

I run full-length housing and feel my drivetrain and mech discs are much smoother. I'm a big advocate of full-length, but what you describe in the OP isn't full-length - it's just what you have right now with but even more friction points and places for gunk to enter & build up. Not helpful.

Cheers, Chris

mtbr member
    I wanted to minimize the friction points, but I didn't want to do anything drastic. So I bought a set of the Aztek Powerlines.
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...All%20Products

These have a tube that runs the entire length of the run, and the teflon cable goes through this tube. The housing is still put in the normal cable stops. My shifters are now super smooth.

This particular set is a little more difficult to install than regular housings because these work similar to nokons in that they use metal links.

go chase the sunset
    Heh, I wasn't sure what that kind of housing style was called, a website I saw called it staggered full length.

I didn't want to zip tie it because that looks really really ugly to me, and I'd heard of stick on things but I'd prefer not to have things superglued to my frame. These look really quite interesting actually - I'd not heard of this sort of thing before. Any experience with them, or any other related product? Would they have any issue holding onto gear cable housing? Do they fit all cable stops? Also, what're these? Are they the same?

edit: ^^^ the set I'm planning to use is wire inside teflon liner, with ceramic discs around it, which is covered in shrink wrap. But I'm also trying to stop my wires getting covered in mud, and I hate the fact that every time I pick up the bike by the top tube it mucks with the wires. It's not a pure friction-saving issue.

mtbr member
    Both of those should be usable for gear housing. Just be careful about the diameter of the housing. If the diameter is less than hydrolic lines they may not work too good. Looks like the Jagwire one is adjustable, but I don't know how much.

neutiquam erro
    Those guides will work with gear housing, but it'll be "loose", so you may need a shim.

Also may want to check out Avid Flak Jackets cable systems.

Cheers, Chris

go chase the sunset
    Ace! I'll work something out for a shim when I do it, probably a cut section of rubber band? Thanks all

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    run a search on zip ties. I came across a post that showed the zip ties used with plastic tubing. It dresses things up a bit and gets the housing up off your frame.

To just show the idea here's a pic of a yellow zip going up trough the plastic tubing. The sharpie would be your frame and the grey tube would be your housing Sorry about the fuzz but you get the idea.
    Last edited by TrekJeff; 12-10-2007 at 12:40 AM.
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!