Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes

Any experience with the new Garbaruk XD 11 speed cassettes?

11-speed cassette (XD driver body compatible) - Garbaruk Lightweight Components

[Edit] I guess they're not out yet, so maybe the question should be about the previous Shimano Freehub version.

I'll be doing an Alps ride next year and think I might like more ratio for the hours long uphill grinds. Currently running a SRAM 1199 10-42

Per email, they wrote me I can run up to an 10-48 with my GX 2x11 long cage derailleur

Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-garbaruk-cassette-11-speed-10-48-teeth-sram-xd.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-garbaruk-cassette-11-speed-11-48-teeth.jpg  

Last edited by J_Westy; 09-21-2017 at 02:18 AM.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Only you know whether you truly need the bigger cassette. To me, on a light bike, 42 is plenty. On a heavier bike, it's nice to have a 30t front ring vs. a 32. I can ride those all day, 100 mile races, 10,000 vertical, etc. It has nothing to do with where you ride, it has everything to do with you. Some older folks want to run 24t rings and 50t cassettes. How do they do it without falling over? I dunno, but there's a market for it. Some people ride single speeds, and if that is possible, it's usually not a big deal to ride a variety of cassette sizes. I find that is more about conditioning than strength/endurance. Slight changes usually do not make me significantly faster.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Only you know whether you truly need the bigger cassette. To me, on a light bike, 42 is plenty. On a heavier bike, it's nice to have a 30t front ring vs. a 32. I can ride those all day, 100 mile races, 10,000 vertical, etc. It has nothing to do with where you ride, it has everything to do with you. Some older folks want to run 24t rings and 50t cassettes. How do they do it without falling over? I dunno, but there's a market for it. Some people ride single speeds, and if that is possible, it's usually not a big deal to ride a variety of cassette sizes. I find that is more about conditioning than strength/endurance. Slight changes usually do not make me significantly faster.
    I was more asking about Garbaruk cassettes, not the need for the ratio.

But it's nice to know you're in such great shape
    --------------

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Some older folks want to run 24t rings and 50t cassettes. How do they do it without falling over?
    I'm one of those guys, and I have been considering a Garbaruk 11-50. The answer (at least for me) is that I pedal at a much higher uphill cadence than I see others doing. I'm MUCH happier and more efficient spinning 85 rpm on 0.5 (or lower) gear ratio up steep hills than grinding 65 rpm on a 0.56 ratio. It goes easier on my knees, easier on my legs, and when something causes my speed to dip for a moment, it's much easier to recover.

When I'm in really tip-top shape, riding a lighter bike, carrying less water/gear in my pack, and the weather is cool, I might use that super low ratio a lot less, but even in those cases, I've never regretted having extra bailout gears in reserve.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You can order the 11-50's directly from Garbaruk or r2-bike overseas, but I don't know if the XD version is out.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    I was more asking about Garbaruk cassettes, not the need for the ratio.

Probably in the running for best quality cassette on the market. They're a work of art from a machining standpoint. I haven't used an XD version, I assume they're the same other than the freehub interface, but shifting is crisp, just really high quality products.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Does anyone here have a bunch of miles on a garbaruk? Just curious how they are holding up?
    DaveH
    '15 Salsa Horsethief
    '13 9:ZERO:7
    '09 Specialized Allez
    '16 Salsa Fargo

since 4/10/2009
    I've been tempted to swap over to a lighter xd compatible cassette when my current one wears out (Sunrace 11-46). I'd probably the most notable place I can drop weight on my bike without losing functionality. Only drawback is cost.

It will probably be awhile before I need to make the decision, but keep bringing on these high quality 11spd cassettes, though.

mtbr member
    you can get the 11speed 10-50 cassette and a 12speed Sram GX derailleur, it will work with your 11speed Sram shifter

although I doubt that Gabaruk beats Sram in cassette design, a 1x12 Sram (GX) Eagle might be a better setup

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post
    Does anyone here have a bunch of miles on a garbaruk? Just curious how they are holding up?
    I have almost two years on a Garbaruk ring, to include some pro XC races. Pretty impressed.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post

although I doubt that Gabaruk beats Sram in cassette design
    Not hard to match them when you pretty much copy the part cut for cut.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Not hard to match them when you pretty much copy the part cut for cut.
    It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it does look like the SRAM X-dome.

So for those that have one, does the shifting compare to my SRAM 1199.. which is fantastic?

And it's at least as tough? Not a delicate flower?
    --------------

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm 10/50 11s

Here is my 3rd Garbaruk cassette : 10/50 11S, my first XD from them. I previously had (and still own and ride) an 11/50 11s cassette & their rock solid 45T Xtender.
    Here you can see their custom gold anodisation.

325,7g (Sram XX1 Eagle is 355/360g)

Cnc machining....

Aluminium cage for Sram XX1.

a beauty....

will be used on my FM058 build.

mtbr member
    This is how the 11/50 cassette shifts, with a standard Sram GX1 derailleur.

I will post another video with the new 10/50 soon.

mtbr member
    wow looks great. I wonder how it compares to a 12speed GX Eagle group in terms of shifting

biggest issue with Eagle is the huge derailleur, I already bent mine after a few rides...

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by tskubi View Post

Subscribed....
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Subscribed....
    I should have my 10-48 with cage installed by Saturday

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Bling bling...

10T,

50T,

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Looks to me like there's a fair amount of slack even in the 50t. How far forward can you push the derailleur cage in the 50? If it were my build I think I'd go another chain segment shorter. There appears to be a significant amount of slack in the 10t.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    The massive enclosed portion around the lower pulley, Why are people doing this? This one is worse than the sram eagle cages. Only one chain needs to fit through there, not 4. And it reduces rock clearance when you're in the largest cogs, as shown in the photo above.

Rocks belong
    The 10-48 XD cassette has caught my eye. Wonder how it would get along with Shimano M8000 GS rear derailluer?

I'm sure their 10-46XD cassette would work just fine... 10-48 would be awesome with a 32T front on a heavy, long travel 29er.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Selling - I have a Garbaruk 10-48, XD, black with their derailleur cage. Only 30 miles. Ordered it a while ago, but arrived last week. Needless to say excellent condition. Also have XX1 chain with 15 miles. Works excellent, but am going to 50t now.

Last edited by bogeydog; 10-29-2017 at 12:13 PM.

mtbr member

Wow, so if I am reading the comments right the GX 11 speed derailleur works just fine without their extender?
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post
    Wow, so if I am reading the comments right the GX 11 speed derailleur works just fine without their extender?
    I asked them about this and they said the new cage just works better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    I asked them about this and they said the new cage just works better.

Copy that. Reading Tskubi's responses in the YouTube comments he seems to be running the stock cage. I may try that route first since I already have a GX derailleur.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Copy that. Reading Tskubi's responses in the YouTube comments he seems to be running the stock cage. I may try that route first since I already have a GX derailleur.
    I have an xd cassette for sale. 10-48

mtbr member
    I have an xd cassette for sale. 10-48

I am wanting the 50T and need Shimano standard for my hartail 29er.

But how much? I might be interested in putting it on my Yeti with XD.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I still think the best combo of perfect shifting is Sram XG-1195 X01 11 cassette with Shimano XTR shifter and XTR Derailure. You get 2 years out of this cassette, and shifting is so smooth!! 1x11 all the way!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    10-48T, sram xd with RD cage, 20 miles maybe, perfect, $250. New was 287 plus shipping. Let me know who wants it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Anyone have a lot of miles on one. I like the range of my sunrace, if this can last a season than I'd probably get one.
    Last edited by Cerberus75; 10-31-2017 at 07:14 AM.

mtbr member
    I should have my 10-48 with cage installed by Saturday

Ordered my 1048 a few days ago, love the the idea of having a the last three cogs spaced closer at 36-42-48: perfect for long uphills! It will go with 11 speed XTR shifter/derailleur.

Formerly of Kent
    10-48T, sram xd with RD cage, 20 miles maybe, perfect, $250. New was 287 plus shipping. Let me know who wants it.

I'll trade you a set of NIB Giro Empire VR90, Blue, size 41.

My wife has forbidden bike purchases without her approval. But not trades.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    I was about to order the Shimano hub version of the 11-50 this morning. Out of curiosity I just googled 11-50 cassette only to see Sunrace makes one as well. While it is heavier, it is also half the price AND comes with a derailleur link. Although they claim med and long cages will work on the cassette and the link is only needed for short cages, I'll still have it to test if the shifting feels clunky.

Best case, I just saved 150$. Worst case, I will hate it and buy the Garbaruk anyways. I have enjoyed my Sunrace 11-46 so I have to believe this one will perform similarly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The 50t on the Sunrace is a little flexy. So I only sit and spin in that gear. It's not a bad. I used a goat link with a Medium cage. Shifts better than without. Hoping the Garburk shift's better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    The 50t on the Sunrace is a little flexy. So I only sit and spin in that gear. It's not a bad. I used a goat link with a Medium cage. Shifts better than without. Hoping the Garburk shift's better.
    Buy mine

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Buy mine

I have a regular driver. Not XD

mtbr member
    Finally got mine mounted up and pedaled around the yard. Shifting seems super smooth with stock GX derailer. Going for a good ride tomorrow to for a good shakedown test.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    If it shifts good and there is decent chain wrap you're good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Still have a 48T, XD for sale.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    The 10-48 XD cassette has caught my eye. Wonder how it would get along with Shimano M8000 GS rear derailluer?

I'm sure their 10-46XD cassette would work just fine... 10-48 would be awesome with a 32T front on a heavy, long travel 29er.
    Just installed the Garbaruk 1048 XD cassette with XTR MD-9000 (GS medium cage). Works with no problem, the B screw just a bit more in, and adjusting the top stop a bit. Exactly 315 grams. I ordered the Garbaruk Cage mod at the same time (it is an extra $20 or so) just to be on the safe side ... I guess it might be on sale now!
    Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-img_0716.jpg
    Last edited by Davide; 11-14-2017 at 08:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Is your derailleur clutch ON or OFF in your photo? I've played around with mine being angled like that and have been worried if left in the ON position there would be too much tension and I might snap my chain as soon as I road over a bump.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    Just installed the Garbaruk 1048 XD cassette with XTR MD-9000 (GS medium cage). Works with no problem, the B screw just a bit more in, and adjusting the top stop a bit. Exactly 315 grams. I ordered the Garbaruk Cage mod at the same time (it is an extra $20 or so) just to be on the safe side ... I guess it might be on sale now!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0716.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	1167403

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by met'lwrks View Post
    Is your derailleur clutch ON or OFF in your photo? I've played around with mine being angled like that and have been worried if left in the ON position there would be too much tension and I might snap my chain as soon as I road over a bump.
    It might have been off because I just finished installing the thingy ... but I always ride it in the on position, set up on the light side it is buttery smooth ...

BTW: I love the 48. I was on 1042 x 28 and I thought that I was going to put a 30 in front after going 1048. But the 48 x 28 combo goes up a wall! VERY nice! And Garbaruk shows once again how you do not need 12 (or even 11) gears to have a 480-500% range ...

I still think the future should have read 10 speed, 1042 with a DUAL upfront and single DI2 shifting. It is now obvious that to get to to 500% range with 1x you end up with the same weight of the ditto set up ... might as well keep the front derailleur and get a 600-plus% range!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Well, damn, I've been looking for a replacement cage all over the place. Goodbye money.

Sorely tempted to buy this and go back to 2x10 speed 11/42 28/36.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Need some help to decide. I was going to upgrade to GX Eagle with X01 shifter when I found this thread. Garbaruk x11 cassette range looks impressive and can probably save me some reasonable money as one time purchase. But next time, when I will need a new cassette (and I need new one every 6 months), you have to pay ~$250 again, compared to ~$130 for a XG-1275. I have doubts that Garaduk cassette will last twice longer than one from SRAM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Mebaru View Post
    Need some help to decide. I was going to upgrade to GX Eagle with X01 shifter when I found this thread. Garbaruk x11 cassette range looks impressive and can probably save me some reasonable money as one time purchase. But next time, when I will need a new cassette (and I need new one every 6 months), you have to pay ~$250 again, compared to ~$130 for a XG-1275. I have doubts that Garaduk cassette will last twice longer than one from SRAM.
    This cassette is more inline with the 500.00 Eagle cassette. It''s not pined like the XG 1275.

mtbr member
    This cassette is more inline with the 500.00 Eagle cassette. It''s not pined like the XG 1275.
    Yep. Higher quality and over a 1/4 pound lighter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Thanks, I do understand that Garbaruk cassette is better than XG-1275 and closer to XG-1299 in terms of weight and quality. Though I wasn't comparing cassettes per se. I seek advise on "budget vs performance vs long term economy" sort of, as written above in my message.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Mebaru View Post
    Thanks, I do understand that Garbaruk cassette is better than XG-1275 and closer to XG-1299 in terms of weight and quality. Though I wasn't comparing cassettes per se. I seek advise on "budget vs performance vs long term economy" sort of, as written above in my message.
    Sunrace is coming out with (might have already) a 10-50. I have the 11-50 and for the price it isn't bad. But heavy and the Garbaruk and XG 1299 used higher quality steel. But I do have 700miles on mine.

mtbr member
    Sunrace is coming out with (might have already) a 10-50. I have the 11-50 and for the price it isn't bad. But heavy and the Garbaruk and XG 1299 used higher quality steel. But I do have 700miles on mine.
    I have the 11-50 as well. I have about 200 miles on mine and have enjoyed it so far. Shifts great with a medium cage GX shifter. While slightly lesser range than GX Eagle, it's roughly the same weight and only 80$.

Ride On
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    couldn't find the high five emotion

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    2 questions for you guys:

1) What was the shipping time from the moment you clicked "BUY"?

2) Anyone succesfully running their 50T with a stock XTR derrailer?

mtbr member
    2 questions for you guys:

1) What was the shipping time from the moment you clicked "BUY"?

2) Anyone succesfully running their 50T with a stock XTR derrailer?
    It went from 7 (cassette) to 12 days (chainring) for me. XTR seems to have zero problems with 48, you could try and if it does not work I can sell you my Garbaruk cage or order the cassette with the cage, it is only an extra $20 ...

BTW. Now that I spent some good miles on it: I really love my 10-48, it is perfect with 28 in front (I can go up a wall!!) and demonstrates shows how silly 12 speed is!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    It went from 7 (cassette) to 12 days (chainring) for me. XTR seems to have zero problems with 48, you could try and if it does not work I can sell you my Garbaruk cage or order the cassette with the cage, it is only an extra $20 ...

BTW. Now that I spent some good miles on it: I really love my 10-48, it is perfect with 28 in front (I can go up a wall!!) and demonstrates shows how silly 12 speed is!
    I actually found a video on YouTube today of a guy running the 10-50 with XTR and smooth shifting with no issues.

And dang, 28 up front with a 50T is nuts. I’m running 11-50 on my hardtail with a 30 up front and will probably go to a 32. But the 30/50 is super nice for limping back to the truck at the end of a 40 to 50 mile day!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have a LaPierre XR729 full suspension. I installed the 10-50 cassette with the Garbaruk cage on the Sram Xo1 derailleur. Shifting is great in the stand but it will be months before I can ride the trails in VT. I’m debating how to handle the chain length. With the suspension extended I can set the RD as show in the instructions but it is waytoo tight on the 50t when the suspension is compressed. If I add two links it looks like the photos shown above. I would think chain slap and retention could be a problem. I tend to fly on the downhills. My thought is the 50t would only be used on steep climbs, 35-40% at local trail. I can’t think of a scenario where the rear suspension is compressed on a slow climb so I should be ok with the shorter chain, but I don’t want to destroy my RD. Any though on this idea would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    how about durability over longer time ? most cogs are steel, so it should last like for example XT M8000 cassette ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by razorjack View Post
    how about durability over longer time ? most cogs are steel, so it should last like for example XT M8000 cassette ?
    I have 5500km+ on mine, Change your chain on a regular basis & you'll be fine.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by razorjack View Post
    Should be comparable. Not sure if they use the same type of steel, that could make the lifespan different with either of them, but with mostly steel cogs, the durability is excellent.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    Should be comparable. Not sure if they use the same type of steel, that could make the lifespan different with either of them, but with mostly steel cogs, the durability is excellent.
    but probably better than Hope or E13 TRS with (all?) alu cogs ....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Buy mine

Do you still have the XD cassette?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dromond View Post
    Do you still have the XD cassette?
    Yes. If it's sitting right here.

mtbr member
    For those using the Garbaruk with a Shimano rd, how are you finding it?

From what I’ve been able to tell by reading and vids it’s the closest aftermarket cassette to Shimano, in terms of shift quality and feel.

The Hope seems to be out — doesn't work well with Shimano apparently, which Hope acknowledges.

I’ve heard mixed results about the TRS. Some say very good, but I’ve read a number of people say that while it shifts adequately it’s just not as smooth as Shimano.

The Garbaruk’s range is great, weight is great and fact you don’t need XD driver is great.

mtbr member
    I'm considering getting a 11sp cassette (Shimano driver), though I'll probably use SRAM shifter and mech, and I'm wondering which chain works the best. What's your experience? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I still have the 48T xd available for sale as mentioned earlier.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I plan on getting a 48T Garbaruk (for Shimano driver) cassette in a month or so. I will be using a Shimano XT rear der - can report back after getting it all hooked up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jon123 View Post
    For those using the Garbaruk with a Shimano rd, how are you finding it?

From what I’ve been able to tell by reading and vids it’s the closest aftermarket cassette to Shimano, in terms of shift quality and feel. .
    I have two 10x46 Garburuk cassettes. I'm running them w Xtr shifters and XT n Xtr med cage rear Ders. Shifting is excellent as good at w shimano and significantly better than e-13. The gear spacing,36,42,46 is, for me, perfect much better than the 37,46 of Shimano and an improvement over e13 33,39,46.
    The quality is significantly better made than any of the shimano XT or Xtr 11 speed cassettes and the e13, it's on par w sram XX1.
    I fact the only negative was shipping time over the holidays. It took a month from order to Texas arrival.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HoJo View Post
    I have two 10x46 Garburuk cassettes. I'm running them w Xtr shifters and XT n Xtr med cage rear Ders. Shifting is excellent as good at w shimano and significantly better than e-13. The gear spacing,36,42,46 is, for me, perfect much better than the 37,46 of Shimano and an improvement over e13 33,39,46.
    The quality is significantly better made than any of the shimano XT or Xtr 11 speed cassettes and the e13, it's on par w sram XX1.
    I fact the only negative was shipping time over the holidays. It took a month from order to Texas arrival.
    Very helpful HoJo. Thanks. I would be looking at the 10-46 too.
    Two questions:
    A) what chain are you using? and
    B) did you get the rd cage as well, or are you running the stock derailleur?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jon123 View Post
    Very helpful HoJo. Thanks. I would be looking at the 10-46 too.
    Two questions:
    A) what chain are you using? and
    B) did you get the rd cage as well, or are you running the stock derailleur?
    Installed a Garbaruk XD 11-sp 10-50 Cassette on my 2016 Intense T275A (Boost). The CNC milling is a work of art. Installation was easy for the cassette, using their instructions. Used Shimano instructions along with Garbaruk instr. to install cage because I wasn't that familiar with Shimano derailleur clutch assy, which needs to be taken apart to change cages.

Shifting is better than my E-13 TRSr 11sp 9-46. First ride, 2 days ago and didn’t take much time adjusting the derailleur. The Garbaruk cage offsets the guide wheel to a great position for the 50t sprocket. Shimano XTR rear derailleur with long cage was about 10mm shorter than their cage.

No noises while back-pedaling in any gear. Light clutch adjustment on rd. Using 112 links of Shimano Dura-Ace XTR chain (CN-HG901-11). Front chain ring One Up 30t oval and no chain guide needed so far.

I like it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Garbaruk XD 10-50
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Kinda wish I'd known about these-I recently purchased (and installed so no return) a 9-46 E-thirteen cassette but I was more interested in having the 46 than the 9. A 10-46/48 would've been just the ticket, and I like the gearing spread better too! Not a huge deal, the E-thirteen shifts well and I'm sure it'll work fine for me. Oh well.

mtbr member

10/50 garbaruk

here is the new release of their 10/50 11s cassette. New lockring, & special tool. up to 60 Nm.

Dab-O-Matic
    here is the new release of their 10/50 11s cassette. New lockring, & special tool. up to 60 Nm.
    [/url]
    "New Release"?
    Also, I'm wondering if I indeed need their extended derailleur cage with my standard X01 cage, and the 48t? Any ideas?
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    Cannondale Black Di2/disk (roadie)
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Also, I'm wondering if I indeed need their extended derailleur cage with my standard X01 cage, and the 48t? Any ideas?
    No. I run a stock 11 speed SRAM cage on a 50T.

Dab-O-Matic
    Awesome, thanks for the quick return!
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    Cannondale Black Di2/disk (roadie)
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

Formerly of Kent
    FS or HT?

Death from Below.

My other ride
    Do these have the replaceable big ring like the Sram cassette? I have an XG-1199 and I know that I can replace the 42 when it wears out (I rarely use it).

The E13 would wear out faster since it has 4 aluminum rings, but at least they are replaceable by themselves. I don't specifically need a 9t, I virtually never spin out the 32x10 I have now (good to about 30 MPH!).

Just planning ahead for the future.

mtbr member

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4657/28142719699_c99421b63a_c.jpg

How does a lock ring work with an XD driver?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    How does a lock ring work with an XD driver?
    Classic XD setup, the lock ring adds some stiffness to the lower part of the cassette.

mtbr member
    I still have the 48T xd available for sale as mentioned earlier.

how much?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    FS or HT?

Full Suspension

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have the 10-50 and run it with Shimano XTR shifter and derailleur with Garbaruk's cage. Shifts perfectly!
    Yes Sun Race have an 11-50, but the 20% gear skip is at 15t to 18t and some people could feel the sudden change which disrupts their cadence. Garbaruk put the big jump at the lower gear at 30t to 36t, which I honestly can't feel any odd skips.
    Sun Race also has an 11 speed 10-50 and a 12 speed 10-50! Bummer is it's not XD compatible, you have to use their hub! What a joke!
    If you want to get the 500% gear range, you don't have to go 12 speed!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonggo View Post
    If you want to get the 500% gear range, you don't have to go 12 speed!
    E-13 9-46 is 511% range in an 11 speed setup. But again requires XD.

WLB
    Slow but not stopped
    Just ordered an an 11-48 directly from Garbaruk replace the stock Simano XT 11-46 cassette. I wanted to stay with the stock XT8000 derailleur for now, so didnt go with the 50 & cage. A couple questions.

1) i didnt see any 10 tooth options on the Garbaruk site, it was all 11x46,48,50. Seems the only place to get the 10 tooth range is on the R2 site? Any difference in pricing & shipping to the US from there vs direct from Garbaruk? I guess 1 tooth on the high end doesn't make too much difference. Here in the mountains where i live, if im spinning out in that gear im usually going dowhill fast enough that im just standing on the pedals anyway

2] Currently running a stock XT 11x46 cassette with XT 30t chainring up front. Going to the Garbaruk 11x48 & 30t Melon chainring, how many links do you think I’ll need to add to my chain, maybe 2?

Thanks, looking forward to getting this beauty!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WLB View Post
    I guess 1 tooth on the high end doesn't make too much difference. Here in the mountains where i live, if im spinning out in that gear im usually going dowhill fast enough that im just standing on the pedals anyway
    yes it does, a 10-46 cassette would equal a 11-51 cassette.

remember it's all about range and in which direction you shift that range by choosing an appropriate sized chainring, a 10T doesn't automatically mean more top speed but rather more cassette range and using a equally smaller sized chainring enables you to move all that gained range towards the climbing gears

Cassette range is not calculated in teeth but rather %, it makes a huge difference if you add 1 teeth to a 10T or a 46T cog

If I was you I wouldn't bother with a quite expensive 11-48 cassette because all you gain is +4.4% which equals about +1/4 gear

A 10-50 cassette would be a 20% improvement, roughly 4.5 times as much!

WLB
    Slow but not stopped
    I get what you're saying about range, & I would have gone with a 10x48 had I seen it first, but that option was not available on Garbaruk's site & I had not seen the R2 bike site.

My chainring size is pretty much fixed at 30t because
    a) It's an XT crankset & you can't go any smaller than 30
    b) I'm definitely not going bigger than 30 because all of my rides involve significant climbs, I'm 60 yrs old, fairly fit but still need all the low end grunt I can get, not as concerned with the top end speed, can get plenty fast on the downs here in the mountains without pedaling at all.

I really considered getting the 11x50, but didn't want to get the cage extender & seems like the 48 would work fine with the stock XT derailleur.
    I realize that a 48 vs 46 won't be much of a gain, but I like the more even spacing of the gears & it's considerably lighter than the the stock XT cassette. (not that it's a huge deal, my bike weighs 30lb anyway)

With that said, now you've got me thinking about the 10x50, but I think my order has already shipped, & apparently you can't get the 10x50 directly from Garbaruk. I may contact them by email to see if that's an option. A little concerned that the longer derailleur cage would be more vulnerable to rock strikes. Thanks for your input though, has me considering the 10x50 after all

mtbr member
    I get what you're saying about range, & I would have gone with a 10x48 had I seen it first, but that option was not available on Garbaruk's site & I had not seen the R2 bike site.

With that said, now you've got me thinking about the 10x50, but I think my order has already shipped, & apparently you can't get the 10x50 directly from Garbaruk. I may contact them by email to see if that's an option. A little concerned that the longer derailleur cage would be more vulnerable to rock strikes. Thanks for your input though, has me considering the 10x50 after all
    These are the 10-46 thru 50 cassettes on Garbaruk's site.

https://garbaruk.com/11-speed-xd.html

10T cassettes will not work with Shimano freehub, these require a XD (SRAM type) driver/freehub, you would have to change out your freehub.

I would also highly recommend a new chain whenever you replace a cassette (especially a snazzy high dollar cassette). 2 links longer sounds about right to me (I would start too long and go down from there).

mtbr member
    Classic XD setup, the lock ring adds some stiffness to the lower part of the cassette.
    Okay, I see how they are using it now. My eyes where having depth perception issues with that picture. I was like, there is no way that lock ring is fitting into that tiny hole!

WLB
    Slow but not stopped
    Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    These are the 10-46 thru 50 cassettes on Garbaruk's site.

https://garbaruk.com/11-speed-xd.html

10T cassettes will not work with Shimano freehub, these require a XD (SRAM type) driver/freehub, you would have to change out your freehub.

I would also highly recommend a new chain whenever you replace a cassette (especially a snazzy high dollar cassette). 2 links longer sounds about right to me (I would start too long and go down from there).
    Ah, that’s it. Didn’t look at XD cassettes because I have a Shimano free hub. Could go 11-50, but would need to go with the derailleur cage extension. Thanks for the heads up!

mtbr member

Hi. Does your cassette (or someone's) have some play between the inner black cylinder and the block of pinions? You could test it if you haven't installed it yet moving it with your fingers. My current cassette have some "axial" and "radial" play between the these parts. Another one (with the old locking version) I had didn't have this play.
    Last edited by Tongolés; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Ah, that’s it. Didn’t look at XD cassettes because I have a Shimano free hub. Could go 11-50, but would need to go with the derailleur cage extension. Thanks for the heads up!
    What derailleur do you have? I have an XTR and X0 both handling 11-50 cassettes on 2 different bikes.

WLB
    Slow but not stopped
    What derailleur do you have? I have an XTR and X0 both handling 11-50 cassettes on 2 different bikes.
    It's an XT M8000. Probably would handle the 50 as well, might have to check it out, thanks

mtbr member
    Shimano 11speed rear derailleurs are right one the edge of handling 50T cogs as you can see in several videos on youtube.

Especially on a full suspension bike with chain grow finding the correct chain length might be tricky since a shorter chain than normal is needed the maximise pulley clearance but can be equally dangerous when using full travel while being in the largest cog. Just relying on a longer b-screw also helps but has the disadvantage that the derailleur return spring takes too much load and weakens over time

In the end a 11-46 setup might be the more "relaxed" option out there since a 11-50 is giving you only 9% more range

WLB
    Slow but not stopped
    Shimano 11speed rear derailleurs are right one the edge of handling 50T cogs as you can see in several videos on youtube.

Especially on a full suspension bike with chain grow finding the correct chain length might be tricky since a shorter chain than normal is needed the maximise pulley clearance but can be equally dangerous when using full travel while being in the largest cog. Just relying on a longer b-screw also helps but has the disadvantage that the derailleur return spring takes too much load and weakens over time

In the end a 11-46 setup might be the more "relaxed" option out there since a 11-50 is giving you only 9% more range
    10-4, I have the 11-48 on the way along with a 30t Melon chainring. I currently have an XT 11-46 on the bike with XT 30t up front. I realize I'm gaining very little in range with the 11-48 vs 11-46, but I like the spacing of the lower gears on the Garbaruk, & basically just wanted to put one on my bike to try it out, along with the oval chainring. Haven't tried out an oval chainring since the Biopace of yesteryear, so also curious to see if the new ones with timing correct will have any beneficial effect. A small bonus is that it's 100+ grams lighter.

mtbr member
    I think people should also consider chainring size as an important variable

Last year I switched from 1x11 30T /11-42 to 1x12 Eagle 32T / 10-50 and my main motivation for the upgrade was being able to ride a larger chainring since I discovered on a Testbike (same as my bike) with an Eagle setup that the 32T chainring significantly reduces pedal feedback when riding over roots and rocks.

Your results may vary but on my bike (Giant Trance) the difference could be felt

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I think people should also consider chainring size as an important variable

Last year I switched from 1x11 30T /11-42 to 1x12 Eagle 32T / 10-50 and my main motivation for the upgrade was being able to ride a larger chainring since I discovered on a Testbike (same as my bike) with an Eagle setup that the 32T chainring significantly reduces pedal feedback when riding over roots and rocks.

Your results may vary but on my bike (Giant Trance) the difference could be felt
    Agreed. Have a Garbaruk 10-50 and just switched from 1up 30t oval to Garbaruk 32t oval. Difficult to describe the difference, but it just seems more efficient. However, for the suspension configuration of my Intense Tracer, there are others, with different cassettes, who also found a 32t chainring to be better.

Smoothest shifting of anything I've found yet. Can't imagine an Eagle 12 sp being better shifting. These cassettes are more expensive than most 11 sp, but the overall cost of going to a 500% gear range is cheap compared with Eagle. Have no complaints about distance between gears. Top 3 gears and bottom 3 gears are the same number of teeth. Can't see the reason to go to 12 speed. Maybe other companies will give Garbaruk some competition and bring the price down. Don't expect anything from Sram or Shimano. Too committed in their present directions.

WLB
    Slow but not stopped
    Got mine (11-48) & 30t melon chainring today. Grabbed a new XT chain from my LBS just to be safe, although the original chain is low mileage, I'll keep it for a spare.

Beautifully machined, looks great. Got everything adjusted, chain cut to length, joined, etc. Adjusted limits, B-screw, all looks great. Shifts really well, can backpedal at high rpm on the 48t cog with no chain drop or downshifting. Only was able to take a quick ride up & down the block, but really didn't feel the oval. Love the closer ratios on the 3 big gears, 48,42,36, really nice.

One concern, however. The cassette is one piece, and is not indexed the same as stock Shimano cassettes. It will go on the driver in a few different orientations, and it appears that the only cog to engage the driver is the 48. It was wobbly when you slip it on, of course when I torqued the lock ring to spec was rock solid. Shifted & felt good, but I'm concerned that the only place it engages is the 1 big cog. Anyone else notice this?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Got mine (11-48) & 30t melon chainring today. Grabbed a new XT chain from my LBS just to be safe, although the original chain is low mileage, I'll keep it for a spare.

Beautifully machined, looks great. Got everything adjusted, chain cut to length, joined, etc. Adjusted limits, B-screw, all looks great. Shifts really well, can backpedal at high rpm on the 48t cog with no chain drop or downshifting. Only was able to take a quick ride up & down the block, but really didn't feel the oval. Love the closer ratios on the 3 big gears, 48,42,36, really nice.

One concern, however. The cassette is one piece, and is not indexed the same as stock Shimano cassettes. It will go on the driver in a few different orientations, and it appears that the only cog to engage the driver is the 48. It was wobbly when you slip it on, of course when I torqued the lock ring to spec was rock solid. Shifted & felt good, but I'm concerned that the only place it engages is the 1 big cog. Anyone else notice this?
    You are correct about "It will go on the driver in a few different orientations." In fact, if you read the installation manual on their website, it says "A cassette, unlike the freehub body, has key-less splines, and you can install it on the freehub in any position."

Their next step is "While holding the cassette, fully insert the Garbaruk Inner Lockring Tool in the inner lockring threads."
    This is to secure the inside of the cassette. My cassette did not come with a tool, but it is a basic lockring tool.

Sounds like you missed the following step:
    "Insert the outer lockring and screw it clockwise by hand until it’s securely tightened. Make sure the outer lockring is screwed correctly and tighten it with a removal tool."

I can't believe you are riding without the outer lockring!

If the cassette is not fully seated, there won't be enough threads secured on the outer lockring and the alloy threads will strip.

Did they send one, or did you pick up the cassette from someone who over-torqued and destroyed the outer ring and found a place to dump the cassette/sans lockring?

You need to study the installation instructions. Don't feel bad. I screwed up the first time and this is not my first reply to someone who also messed up or was screwed over.

If you have an XD driver: https://garbaruk.com/blog/installation-xd/

WLB
    Slow but not stopped
    Maybe you missed this part of my post “of course, when I torqued the lock ring to spec was rock solid”

No, I’m not riding without a lock ring, I Installed it & torqued to the standard 40nm. Just observing that while all other cassettes I’ve installed engage the driver with every cog, the Garbaruk only does with the largest one. An XT cassette is in several parts & spacers, each one indexed to the driver & can only installed in the correct orientation. Usually when you pull one, you’ll see that it has gouged the driver a bit on the smallest several cogs. The Garbaruk appears different in that is completely one piece, and from what I see only engages the driver with the largest cog.

WLB
    Slow but not stopped
    BTW, this is a Shimano HG freehub, not an XD.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yes, mine also had a side to side play. I was a bit worried about it but aftet installation, everything was tight and felt right!

WLB
    Slow but not stopped
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonggo View Post
    Yes, mine also had a side to side play. I was a bit worried about it but aftet installation, everything was tight and felt right!
    Is yours installed on a Shimano freehub? Imwondering if they sent me thewrong one, The lock ring threaded on & tightened down fine & now it feels solid, but im used to seeing all the cogs splined &only fitting on the driver in one position. This one is one piece & only the big cog is splined

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast