Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I got the xd type cassette. The shimano cassette is constructed similarly. Don't worry about the splined part being on the biggest cog only. Actually there are also splines on the smallest cog and the pedaling forces are distributed to both the smallest and biggest cogs unlike the xd driver type in which all forces are concentrated on the 50t cog alone.

since 4/10/2009
    If you installed that cassette on an aluminum freehub body, you will have a real treat getting it off after riding. Hope your rear hub has a steel freehub body. Alu freehub bodies need lots of support, to the extent that the cogs need to be mounted on carriers with wider bases. Otherwise thwy gouge alu freehub bodies and become a nightmare to remove.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

WLB
    Slow but not stopped
    Yeah, Iím a little concerned about that. Itís an Onyx hub, alloy driver but with steel u-shaped ďpinsĒ in the splines to take the load. Did a good ride today with some really high effort grinding climbs, going to pull it to take a look tomorrow to see if it started gouging any. Gotta say I really like it. Shifts flawlessly, & the 36-42-48 spacing of the 3 biggest cogs feels really good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Not with this cassette! The 50t has a wide enough surface that it will not gouge the freehub body.

WLB
    Slow but not stopped
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonggo View Post
    Not with this cassette! The 50t has a wide enough surface that it will not gouge the freehub body.
    Pulled the cassette yesterday to have a look, and so far looks great. Only had 1 good ride on it, but had a sandy, all out effort climb on the 48t with max torque (for me, anyway)

As you can see from the pics, not a mark on the driver at all. Nice design on the Onyx hub with the steel pins lining the splines to take the load, and although the Garbaruk cassette is 1 piece & not mounted on a carrier, the biggest cog has quite wide "lugs" to engage the driver, with another set at the opposite end to distribute the load. So far I'm pretty impressed with it. This is a Shimano HG style driver with only 1 lock ring.

*Edited to add that this is with the stock XTM8000 derailleur. Shifts perfectly, can backpedal at max rpm on any cog & no chain drop or downshifting. At the same time I installed the 30t Melon oval chainring. Can't say I can really tell any difference in pedaling, but have only had 1 good ride on it so far
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-garbaruk-11x48-1-5-.jpg  

Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-garbaruk-11x48-2-5-.jpg  

Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-garbaruk-11x48-3-5-.jpg  

Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-garbaruk-11x48-4-5-.jpg  

Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-garbaruk-11x48-5-5-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Great, thanks for the update!

Regarding backpedaling, what bike is it installed on, and what crank (and chainring position do you use (e.g. SRAM direct mount, or XT on granny position)

WLB
    Slow but not stopped
    Itís a Santa Cruz Hightower. XT 1x Boost crankset, 96 BCD chainring

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Im going for 10-46 or 10-48 cassette with Shimano XT derailleur.

Will I be fine without Garbaruk-cage?

WLB
    Slow but not stopped
    Iím running XT rear derailleur with the 11-48, shifts perfectly, I think it should work with the 10-48 given proper chain length
    Last edited by WLB; 1 Week Ago at 10:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WLB View Post
    Itís a Santa Cruz Hightower. XT 1x Boost crankset, 96 BCD chainring
    Thanks!

Dab-O-Matic

Need help!

I have a standard XD 11 speed Onyx hub. I removed the SRAM XD cassette, and installed the Garbaruk 10-46 cassette as per instructions, however with the outer lockring installed, the outer lockring rubs on the wheel mount. If I remove the outer lockring then it mounts and rotates just fine, but the gears do not shift right, will only go up to the 10th gear.
    It's like the cassette is not fully installed, however I have tried several locations, rotating until it slide in, and it "seems" like it is fully installed and there is no discernible wiggle.
    Any ideas?
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    Cannondale Black Di2/disk (roadie)
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    It's like the cassette is not fully installed, however I have tried several locations, rotating until it slide in, and it "seems" like it is fully installed and there is no discernible wiggle.
    Any ideas?
    Same cassette, had a similar problem, could not fully tighten the inner lock ring as my cassette lock ring tool bottomed out on the hub end cap. Ordered a lock ring tool w a deeper pocket
    Works like a charm.

Dab-O-Matic
    Quote Originally Posted by HoJo View Post
    Same cassette, had a similar problem, could not fully tighten the inner lock ring as my cassette lock ring tool bottomed out on the hub end cap. Ordered a lock ring tool w a deeper pocket
    Works like a charm.
    Hmmm, the inner lockring uses the Garbaruk supplied tool, the outer lockring uses the standard lockring tool, at least that's what it looked like to me. Do I have that reversed?
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hmmm, the inner lockring uses the Garbaruk supplied tool, the outer lockring uses the standard lockring tool, at least that's what it looked like to me. Do I have that reversed?
    Ah. You must have the new version. Sorry I can't help

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have the XD 11-sp Onyx steel hub. Also installed the new version of Garbaruk's 10-50 cassette. No problems here after following their instructions:
    https://garbaruk.com/blog/installation-xd

I used a Park Tool FR-1.3 to install the inner lockring. It's about 0.5" longer than their FR-5. Garbaruk didn't send me a lockring tool with my cassette, so I used a dremel tool to modify a Park Tool FR-5.2GT and everything worked sweet.
    Maybe you need to compare the Garbaruk step 2 photo with your fit. If it doesn't look the same, I would make sure the cassette is fully seated on the hub. If you have the old version Onyx alloy hub, it could be worn and not allowing full seating.

Note: During the install, I needed to modify the FR-5 and used the outer lockring to get the proper fit. Not 100% sure which tool I used for the inner lockring, but am sure the outer lockring required the tool mod.

If all else fails, give them a call. They are about 8 time zones earlier.

Dab-O-Matic
    Quote Originally Posted by grizfish View Post
    I have the XD 11-sp Onyx steel hub. Also installed the new version of Garbaruk's 10-50 cassette. No problems here after following their instructions:
    https://garbaruk.com/blog/installation-xd

If all else fails, give them a call. They are about 8 time zones earlier.
    Thanks Griz. After installing and re-installing both the XX1 and the Garbaruk cassette several times, I am sure that I am getting both seated correctly. I believe that the problem lies in the thickness of the outer lockring AND the pocket depth of the Yeti hanger/axle bracket (called a HANGER STANDARD GEN3, p/n 300060074).

Without the outer lockring, the distance from the 10t gear is about .270 in. on both the XX1 and the Garbaruk, so I believe both are fully seated. Adding the Garbaruk outer lockring causes the outer lockring to rub on the hanger/axle bracket, and I don't see any way around it, other than to run it without the outer lockring.

Guess I'll have to contact Garbaruk and/or Yeti to get this resolved.
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Bummer! Hope you get it fixed soon. Checked mine today and the "hanger" on my Intense alloy Tracer doesn't have much clearance. Difficult to measure, but looks like only 1.4mm. Maybe Yeti can suggest a mod to the hanger that won't reduce it's strength.
    Good Luck

Dab-O-Matic

Update!

Bummer! Hope you get it fixed soon. Checked mine today and the "hanger" on my Intense alloy Tracer doesn't have much clearance. Difficult to measure, but looks like only 1.4mm. Maybe Yeti can suggest a mod to the hanger that won't reduce it's strength.
    Good Luck
    Well, I did "modify" aka grind enough of a relief in the hanger standard to clear the outer lockring! Still the cassette would not turn when the wheelset was installed on the bike.

So, looking further into it I discovered the issue...the Onyx XD driver. Yes, that driver shaft has some flats on the end that the cassette outer lockring contacts preventing free rotation. Basically the outer lockring is too long, and projects too deep contacting those hex flats. I did notice that when the lockring was installed it appeared like it was not fully seated against the cassette by maybe .25mm. You can see the flats in this photo.
    Attachment 1184218 http://forums.mtbr.com/asset.php?fid...4&d=1519327670

So, I believe that if the outer lockring was shortened, by maybe 0.5mm, all would be good.

Garbaruk has failed to get back with me after three days...not exactly great service.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-fullsizeoutput_1bbf.jpeg  

SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Not sure I really understand your problem. I have found that Garbaruk has gone through a couple of iterations of this XD compatible cassette. They are very precise with their tolerances and spent a lot of time perfecting the fit. My 10-50 mated up to the Onyx steel hub "perfectly." Not too tight, not too loose. Then again, the steel hub showed no damage from the previous 2 cassettes that were mounted. Just a guess, but I would suspect a worn hub.

I would look at the hub seating because it sounds like the hub has a groove or other obstruction that doesn't allow full seating. Maybe put some type of magic marker or paint on the hub and try seating the cassette by hand, moving it around with a bit of force to show you where contact is being made. Then do the same with your other cassette and see if there is a difference in contact points.
    Good Luck

Dab-O-Matic
    Griz, just to make sure... you have the new version cassette with the two lockrings and you have the Onyx XD hub just like the photograph with the hex flats?
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yes, I have the new version cassette. Had the earlier version, but the outer lockring would not fit on far enough to make contact with enough threads and I stripped the two threads that were making contact, while tightening to their recommended torque. Sent them the earlier model cassette and they returned a new model with different outer lockring engagement.

Yes, have the hex flats near end of Onyx steel XD hub. P/N 84010K16 0699.
    Onyx lists my boost hub as MTB ISO XD-150/12mm as far as I can tell.

Dab-O-Matic
    Yes, I have the new version cassette. Had the earlier version, but the outer lockring would not fit on far enough to make contact with enough threads and I stripped the two threads that were making contact, while tightening to their recommended torque. Sent them the earlier model cassette and they returned a new model with different outer lockring engagement.

Yes, have the hex flats near end of Onyx steel XD hub. P/N 84010K16 0699
    Damn, this is getting really confusing now. The trials and tribulations of "bleeding edge"!

That said, we must be dealing with several different production levels, which may or may not be compatible with the users hub. When I thread the outer lockring hub on, I get maybe 5-7 turns BEFORE it contacts the hex flats (not the cassette), so I'm guessing that I have the same "new" longer lockring that you needed for more engagement. I'm thinking now that I need the shorter lockring like the one you stripped.
    How did you contact Garbaruk? They have not responded via email, Facebook, or Skype.
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    Damn, this is getting really confusing now. The trials and tribulations of "bleeding edge"!

That said, we must be dealing with several different production levels, which may or may not be compatible with the users hub. When I thread the outer lockring hub on, I get maybe 5-7 turns BEFORE it contacts the hex flats (not the cassette), so I'm guessing that I have the same "new" longer lockring that you needed for more engagement. I'm thinking now that I need the shorter lockring like the one you stripped.
    How did you contact Garbaruk? They have not responded via email, Facebook, or Skype.
    i'd send them another email. I asked a few different questions at different times via email. I had two people respond to the same question, and no-one respond to another question! Sounds like they have growing pains from too much success.

WLB
    Slow but not stopped
    Re communication, I emailed them when I ordered mine & asked a couple questions but never got a response. Mine is a Shimano HG hub, so only a single lockring & it fits as it should, but I found that my standard cassette lockring tool didn't match up quite perfectly with the splines in the lockring & took a little encouragement with a rubber hammer to engage it fully. Had to pull it out with channelocks afterward. The lockring itself made up correctly, torqued to 40nm, all is solid.

Hope you get yours sorted out, good luck

Dab-O-Matic
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleDuck View Post
    i'd send them another email. I asked a few different questions at different times via email. I had two people respond to the same question, and no-one respond to another question! Sounds like they have growing pains from too much success.
    Quote Originally Posted by WLB View Post

Hope you get yours sorted out, good luck
    Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. Here is what I keep getting when I try to email:Unable to submit your request. Please, try again later

Still working on Facebook and Skype.
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I had good luck on their website (garbaruk.com). Go to (about us) and select (contact us). You will be shown a form to fill out, then submit it.

There is about 10 hours difference in time. Their workday begins about late evening here.

Dab-O-Matic
    And the beat goes on!

Note from Garbaruk:"Unfortunately, our XD-compatible cassette is incompatible with Onyx rear hubs, as described in our manual attached to this email (itís been prepared this week, so you were not able to look through it beforehand)

We can fully refund you if you would like to return the cassette back to us

Sorry for the inconveniences". I can't figure out how to attach their .pdf because it's larger than allowed here, but I can email it to you if interested.

These guys (Garbaruk) are good, it's just difficult to test every application before releasing a product.

Well, that's the official word. Guess I wasn't as crazy as I was beginning to think I was. I believe it will still work with a slight mod to the Outer lockring (by chamfering the inside edge).

More to follow.
    Last edited by Simplemind; 6 Hours Ago at 07:10 AM.
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Amazing! My 10-50 works great with my Onyx hub. Best shifting cassette I've had and it's solidly attached to the hub.

There must be a point where they decide it's not worth the time and effort to re-engineer a new version, just to include such a small market share hub like Onyx. Maybe the 10-50 cassette was modded and the 10-46 was not, for some reason. I don't know.
    Good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12