Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I got the xd type cassette. The shimano cassette is constructed similarly. Don't worry about the splined part being on the biggest cog only. Actually there are also splines on the smallest cog and the pedaling forces are distributed to both the smallest and biggest cogs unlike the xd driver type in which all forces are concentrated on the 50t cog alone.

since 4/10/2009
    If you installed that cassette on an aluminum freehub body, you will have a real treat getting it off after riding. Hope your rear hub has a steel freehub body. Alu freehub bodies need lots of support, to the extent that the cogs need to be mounted on carriers with wider bases. Otherwise thwy gouge alu freehub bodies and become a nightmare to remove.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

WLB
    Slow but not stopped
    Yeah, Iím a little concerned about that. Itís an Onyx hub, alloy driver but with steel u-shaped ďpinsĒ in the splines to take the load. Did a good ride today with some really high effort grinding climbs, going to pull it to take a look tomorrow to see if it started gouging any. Gotta say I really like it. Shifts flawlessly, & the 36-42-48 spacing of the 3 biggest cogs feels really good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Not with this cassette! The 50t has a wide enough surface that it will not gouge the freehub body.

WLB
    Slow but not stopped
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonggo View Post
    Not with this cassette! The 50t has a wide enough surface that it will not gouge the freehub body.
    Pulled the cassette yesterday to have a look, and so far looks great. Only had 1 good ride on it, but had a sandy, all out effort climb on the 48t with max torque (for me, anyway)

As you can see from the pics, not a mark on the driver at all. Nice design on the Onyx hub with the steel pins lining the splines to take the load, and although the Garbaruk cassette is 1 piece & not mounted on a carrier, the biggest cog has quite wide "lugs" to engage the driver, with another set at the opposite end to distribute the load. So far I'm pretty impressed with it. This is a Shimano HG style driver with only 1 lock ring.

*Edited to add that this is with the stock XTM8000 derailleur. Shifts perfectly, can backpedal at max rpm on any cog & no chain drop or downshifting. At the same time I installed the 30t Melon oval chainring. Can't say I can really tell any difference in pedaling, but have only had 1 good ride on it so far
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-garbaruk-11x48-1-5-.jpg  

Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-garbaruk-11x48-2-5-.jpg  

Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-garbaruk-11x48-3-5-.jpg  

Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-garbaruk-11x48-4-5-.jpg  

Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-garbaruk-11x48-5-5-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Great, thanks for the update!

Regarding backpedaling, what bike is it installed on, and what crank (and chainring position do you use (e.g. SRAM direct mount, or XT on granny position)

WLB
    Slow but not stopped
    Itís a Santa Cruz Hightower. XT 1x Boost crankset, 96 BCD chainring

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Im going for 10-46 or 10-48 cassette with Shimano XT derailleur.

Will I be fine without Garbaruk-cage?

WLB
    Slow but not stopped
    Iím running XT rear derailleur with the 11-48, shifts perfectly, I think it should work with the 10-48 given proper chain length
    Last edited by WLB; 02-14-2018 at 10:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WLB View Post
    Itís a Santa Cruz Hightower. XT 1x Boost crankset, 96 BCD chainring
    Thanks!

Dab-O-Matic

Need help!

I have a standard XD 11 speed Onyx hub. I removed the SRAM XD cassette, and installed the Garbaruk 10-46 cassette as per instructions, however with the outer lockring installed, the outer lockring rubs on the wheel mount. If I remove the outer lockring then it mounts and rotates just fine, but the gears do not shift right, will only go up to the 10th gear.
    It's like the cassette is not fully installed, however I have tried several locations, rotating until it slide in, and it "seems" like it is fully installed and there is no discernible wiggle.
    Any ideas?
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    Cannondale Black Di2/disk (roadie)
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    It's like the cassette is not fully installed, however I have tried several locations, rotating until it slide in, and it "seems" like it is fully installed and there is no discernible wiggle.
    Any ideas?
    Same cassette, had a similar problem, could not fully tighten the inner lock ring as my cassette lock ring tool bottomed out on the hub end cap. Ordered a lock ring tool w a deeper pocket
    Works like a charm.

Dab-O-Matic
    Quote Originally Posted by HoJo View Post
    Same cassette, had a similar problem, could not fully tighten the inner lock ring as my cassette lock ring tool bottomed out on the hub end cap. Ordered a lock ring tool w a deeper pocket
    Works like a charm.
    Hmmm, the inner lockring uses the Garbaruk supplied tool, the outer lockring uses the standard lockring tool, at least that's what it looked like to me. Do I have that reversed?
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hmmm, the inner lockring uses the Garbaruk supplied tool, the outer lockring uses the standard lockring tool, at least that's what it looked like to me. Do I have that reversed?
    Ah. You must have the new version. Sorry I can't help

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have the XD 11-sp Onyx steel hub. Also installed the new version of Garbaruk's 10-50 cassette. No problems here after following their instructions:
    https://garbaruk.com/blog/installation-xd

I used a Park Tool FR-1.3 to install the inner lockring. It's about 0.5" longer than their FR-5. Garbaruk didn't send me a lockring tool with my cassette, so I used a dremel tool to modify a Park Tool FR-5.2GT and everything worked sweet.
    Maybe you need to compare the Garbaruk step 2 photo with your fit. If it doesn't look the same, I would make sure the cassette is fully seated on the hub. If you have the old version Onyx alloy hub, it could be worn and not allowing full seating.

Note: During the install, I needed to modify the FR-5 and used the outer lockring to get the proper fit. Not 100% sure which tool I used for the inner lockring, but am sure the outer lockring required the tool mod.

If all else fails, give them a call. They are about 8 time zones earlier.

Dab-O-Matic
    Quote Originally Posted by grizfish View Post
    I have the XD 11-sp Onyx steel hub. Also installed the new version of Garbaruk's 10-50 cassette. No problems here after following their instructions:
    https://garbaruk.com/blog/installation-xd

If all else fails, give them a call. They are about 8 time zones earlier.
    Thanks Griz. After installing and re-installing both the XX1 and the Garbaruk cassette several times, I am sure that I am getting both seated correctly. I believe that the problem lies in the thickness of the outer lockring AND the pocket depth of the Yeti hanger/axle bracket (called a HANGER STANDARD GEN3, p/n 300060074).

Without the outer lockring, the distance from the 10t gear is about .270 in. on both the XX1 and the Garbaruk, so I believe both are fully seated. Adding the Garbaruk outer lockring causes the outer lockring to rub on the hanger/axle bracket, and I don't see any way around it, other than to run it without the outer lockring.

Guess I'll have to contact Garbaruk and/or Yeti to get this resolved.
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Bummer! Hope you get it fixed soon. Checked mine today and the "hanger" on my Intense alloy Tracer doesn't have much clearance. Difficult to measure, but looks like only 1.4mm. Maybe Yeti can suggest a mod to the hanger that won't reduce it's strength.
    Good Luck

Dab-O-Matic

Update!

Bummer! Hope you get it fixed soon. Checked mine today and the "hanger" on my Intense alloy Tracer doesn't have much clearance. Difficult to measure, but looks like only 1.4mm. Maybe Yeti can suggest a mod to the hanger that won't reduce it's strength.
    Good Luck
    Well, I did "modify" aka grind enough of a relief in the hanger standard to clear the outer lockring! Still the cassette would not turn when the wheelset was installed on the bike.

So, looking further into it I discovered the issue...the Onyx XD driver. Yes, that driver shaft has some flats on the end that the cassette outer lockring contacts preventing free rotation. Basically the outer lockring is too long, and projects too deep contacting those hex flats. I did notice that when the lockring was installed it appeared like it was not fully seated against the cassette by maybe .25mm. You can see the flats in this photo.
    Attachment 1184218 http://forums.mtbr.com/asset.php?fid...4&d=1519327670

So, I believe that if the outer lockring was shortened, by maybe 0.5mm, all would be good.

Garbaruk has failed to get back with me after three days...not exactly great service.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-fullsizeoutput_1bbf.jpeg  

SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Not sure I really understand your problem. I have found that Garbaruk has gone through a couple of iterations of this XD compatible cassette. They are very precise with their tolerances and spent a lot of time perfecting the fit. My 10-50 mated up to the Onyx steel hub "perfectly." Not too tight, not too loose. Then again, the steel hub showed no damage from the previous 2 cassettes that were mounted. Just a guess, but I would suspect a worn hub.

I would look at the hub seating because it sounds like the hub has a groove or other obstruction that doesn't allow full seating. Maybe put some type of magic marker or paint on the hub and try seating the cassette by hand, moving it around with a bit of force to show you where contact is being made. Then do the same with your other cassette and see if there is a difference in contact points.
    Good Luck

Dab-O-Matic
    Griz, just to make sure... you have the new version cassette with the two lockrings and you have the Onyx XD hub just like the photograph with the hex flats?
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yes, I have the new version cassette. Had the earlier version, but the outer lockring would not fit on far enough to make contact with enough threads and I stripped the two threads that were making contact, while tightening to their recommended torque. Sent them the earlier model cassette and they returned a new model with different outer lockring engagement.

Yes, have the hex flats near end of Onyx steel XD hub. P/N 84010K16 0699.
    Onyx lists my boost hub as MTB ISO XD-150/12mm as far as I can tell.

Dab-O-Matic
    Yes, I have the new version cassette. Had the earlier version, but the outer lockring would not fit on far enough to make contact with enough threads and I stripped the two threads that were making contact, while tightening to their recommended torque. Sent them the earlier model cassette and they returned a new model with different outer lockring engagement.

Yes, have the hex flats near end of Onyx steel XD hub. P/N 84010K16 0699
    Damn, this is getting really confusing now. The trials and tribulations of "bleeding edge"!

That said, we must be dealing with several different production levels, which may or may not be compatible with the users hub. When I thread the outer lockring hub on, I get maybe 5-7 turns BEFORE it contacts the hex flats (not the cassette), so I'm guessing that I have the same "new" longer lockring that you needed for more engagement. I'm thinking now that I need the shorter lockring like the one you stripped.
    How did you contact Garbaruk? They have not responded via email, Facebook, or Skype.
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    Damn, this is getting really confusing now. The trials and tribulations of "bleeding edge"!

That said, we must be dealing with several different production levels, which may or may not be compatible with the users hub. When I thread the outer lockring hub on, I get maybe 5-7 turns BEFORE it contacts the hex flats (not the cassette), so I'm guessing that I have the same "new" longer lockring that you needed for more engagement. I'm thinking now that I need the shorter lockring like the one you stripped.
    How did you contact Garbaruk? They have not responded via email, Facebook, or Skype.
    i'd send them another email. I asked a few different questions at different times via email. I had two people respond to the same question, and no-one respond to another question! Sounds like they have growing pains from too much success.

WLB
    Slow but not stopped
    Re communication, I emailed them when I ordered mine & asked a couple questions but never got a response. Mine is a Shimano HG hub, so only a single lockring & it fits as it should, but I found that my standard cassette lockring tool didn't match up quite perfectly with the splines in the lockring & took a little encouragement with a rubber hammer to engage it fully. Had to pull it out with channelocks afterward. The lockring itself made up correctly, torqued to 40nm, all is solid.

Hope you get yours sorted out, good luck

Dab-O-Matic
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleDuck View Post
    i'd send them another email. I asked a few different questions at different times via email. I had two people respond to the same question, and no-one respond to another question! Sounds like they have growing pains from too much success.
    Quote Originally Posted by WLB View Post

Hope you get yours sorted out, good luck
    Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. Here is what I keep getting when I try to email:Unable to submit your request. Please, try again later

Still working on Facebook and Skype.
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I had good luck on their website (garbaruk.com). Go to (about us) and select (contact us). You will be shown a form to fill out, then submit it.

There is about 10 hours difference in time. Their workday begins about late evening here.

Dab-O-Matic
    And the beat goes on!

Note from Garbaruk:"Unfortunately, our XD-compatible cassette is incompatible with Onyx rear hubs, as described in our manual attached to this email (itís been prepared this week, so you were not able to look through it beforehand)

We can fully refund you if you would like to return the cassette back to us

Sorry for the inconveniences". I can't figure out how to attach their .pdf because it's larger than allowed here, but I can email it to you if interested.

These guys (Garbaruk) are good, it's just difficult to test every application before releasing a product.

Well, that's the official word. Guess I wasn't as crazy as I was beginning to think I was. I believe it will still work with a slight mod to the Outer lockring (by chamfering the inside edge).

More to follow.
    Last edited by Simplemind; 02-24-2018 at 07:10 AM.
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Amazing! My 10-50 works great with my Onyx hub. Best shifting cassette I've had and it's solidly attached to the hub.

There must be a point where they decide it's not worth the time and effort to re-engineer a new version, just to include such a small market share hub like Onyx. Maybe the 10-50 cassette was modded and the 10-46 was not, for some reason. I don't know.
    Good luck

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

10/50 11s V2 @ 316g (cassette+lockring) that's 9g less than their previous cassette.
    Now allowing 40Nm installation.

http://garbaruk.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm currently running an XX1 derailleur, cassette, and twist shifter. I'm trying to decide between the Garbaruk 10-48 with the stock XX1 derailleur or the 10-50 with the Garbaruk cage. Any recommendations? Is the large jump to the 50t noticeable? Is shifting better with one vs. the other?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    such a bummer. have an onyx hub and just read their site and mine won't work. thanks for posting that info. Would have ordered it!

Dab-O-Matic
    Quote Originally Posted by Dphoward View Post
    such a bummer. have an onyx hub and just read their site and mine won't work. thanks for posting that info. Would have ordered it!
    Don't despair, mine is running great now. I modified the outer lockring by chamfering the inside edge and in the process removed (shortened) several threads. I did this by hand with a chamfer tool. Still 4-5 threads remain, which should be enough for the task*.
    I have several rides on the cassette and I really like it. Shifts are clean and the gear gaps are about right.
    I am in contact with Gabaruk who wanted to know how my mod worked, so we'll see if they incorporate something similar in the future. It would be a shame if Garbaruk missed out on the potential business, and Onyx users on such a nice cassette.

* Not sure the total function of the outer lockring, however my guess is it serves as a redundant position lock of the inner lockring, and it also keeps the threads clean for future removal. Can't see any other purpose. They recommend a maximum torque of 40nm, and I only torqued to 10.
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dphoward View Post
    Some Onyx XD hubs will work. Mine worked just fine. Their new instructions are very specific:
    http://garbaruk.com/files/GARBARUK%2...ITY%20TEST.pdf

"Garbaruk XD-compatible cassette is not compatible with the following rear hub models:
    Hope 4 Pro
    Some Onyx rear hub models"

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    for sure. I followed their instructions and used the lockring tool and there's a gap...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I got my 10-48 a few weeks back and just getting around to installing it. Ran into a big problem with the machining of the the 42 tooth ring. One of the teeth is machined a little off so the chain will not drop over top of it. I have attached a picture and have emailed Garbaruk so I will keep you posted on their customer service. Shifting was smooth on every ring but the 42 and no problem with the 48 ring using a XT medium cage w/ no aftermarket cage. Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-img_20180306_134418884.jpgGarbaruk 11 speed cassettes-img_20180306_134325341.jpg

Dab-O-Matic
    Quote Originally Posted by go_deep View Post
    I got my 10-48 a few weeks back and just getting around to installing it. Ran into a big problem with the machining of the the 42 tooth ring. One of the teeth is machined a little off so the chain will not drop over top of it. I have attached a picture and have emailed Garbaruk so I will keep you posted on their customer service. Shifting was smooth on every ring but the 42 and no problem with the 48 ring using a XT medium cage w/ no aftermarket cage.
    Boy, that's weird! I'm sure you checked, but does it occur at the same spot on the gear every time...just to eliminate the chain as an issue. Did you measure tooth to tooth distance?
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    Boy, that's weird! I'm sure you checked, but does it occur at the same spot on the gear every time...just to eliminate the chain as an issue. Did you measure tooth to tooth distance?
    The chain in the previous posts picture is the the old chain from the drivetrain I'm swapping out. I tried a brand new KMC chain and it was even worse trying to fit over all the teeth on the 42. Pictures showing new KMC chain on the 42 tooth and than on the next ring down it fits fine. The chain sits nicely on all the rings except the 42. I'm assuming the older chain fit a little better because it's been stretched.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Dab-O-Matic
    Quote Originally Posted by Go-deep View Post
    The chain in the previous posts picture is the the old chain from the drivetrain I'm swapping out. I tried a brand new KMC chain and it was even worse trying to fit over all the teeth on the 42. Pictures showing new KMC chain on the 42 tooth and than on the next ring down it fits fine. The chain sits nicely on all the rings except the 42. I'm assuming the older chain fit a little better because it's been stretched.
    Yeah, prolly enough "slop" on the old chain. I'm sure Garbaruk will stand behind it, just takes them awhile to respond. Keep us apprised!
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member

oh boy. I've never seen a cassette like this where the chain doesn't fit, looks like machining tolerances are way off. That brings up huge doubts about general product quality and if the other sprockets are really that well machined either. I'd send this piece of junk cassette back and get a Sram XD instead.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    oh boy. I've never seen a cassette like this where the chain doesn't fit, looks like machining tolerances are way off. That brings up huge doubts about general product quality and if the other sprockets are really that well machined either. I'd send this piece of junk cassette back and get a Sram XD instead.
    I would give them a chance to correct the problem, sometimes things go wrong. This is a small company making a solid effort at competing with the titans of the industry and that is not easy. I have been running one of their 3-cog expanders from a couple of years back and it has been excellent. It was hands down the best solution anyone came up with at the time when wide range 10-speed conversions were still all the rage. Light, durable, very nicely made and reasonably priced, the magic combination. Still going strong. I expect that they will take care of this problem, and if so it won't affect my plans to get one of their cassettes for an upcoming build.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'd send this piece of junk cassette back and get a Sram XD instead.
    I fail to detect the facitiousness in your post!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I was just about to order one, but if the current batch has some QC issues maybe I'll wait a few months for any issues to be worked out.

mtbr member
    Well I heard back from Garbaruk this morning, they were quick with getting back with me. The email I received back stated "We will investigate this issue and send you a replacement cassette ASAP". Chalk one up for a quick reply, I'll keep y'all posted once I receive the new cassette.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I was also about to order one but this gives me pauseÖ
    thread subscribed.

Dab-O-Matic
    Quote Originally Posted by tdilf View Post
    I was also about to order one but this gives me pauseÖ
    thread subscribed.
    It would me too, however as a "now satisfied user", I wouldn't be too concerned. Even though I had to modify the outer lockring, I wanted the weight reduction and the solid one piece gearset (no rivets except on the 48t) enough to go to the trouble. Even the 48t gear has nice machine screws attaching it to the cassette body making it replaceable.

My take is they are having some typical new production growing pains. They were more than willing to refund my costs, but I wanted to make it work because I think it's the best 11sp solution on the market right now.
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quick update:

I have two rides on my 11-48t cassette and it is really nice. I am running a Shimano m-9000 XTR medium cage derailure without any issues. Shifting is smoothest with the clutch in the "off" position. It has taken a bit of fidgeting with the barrel adjusters to get the shifting where I wanted it.

It back pedals perfectly in the 48t cog and is getting more and more quiet each time I ride it. It also reduced the weight of my bike by nearly 6 ounces.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    WLB - I have an XT rear mech (MC) and it can handle the 11-50 Garbaruk cassette. Shifting is good and I didn't need to use their cage extension.

E20
    mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    This is my first post. Many thanks for the info. on this posting....JUST what I was looking for!

I am thinking about purchasing their 11-50 cassette. However, I need to check to see if there is adequate clearance on my frame with the larger diameter cassette. I am using an 11-36 now.

Would someone consider letting me know what the diameter is of the 11-50?
    Many thanks!
    Bob

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Isn't the diameter of any 50t cog ~50*0.5"/pi or just a hair under 8"?

E20
    mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Don't know....math is NOT my strength.
    I was actually told a somewhat different number.

I figured I would ask if someone could measure the diameter of the actual Garbaruk 11-50 cassette, and share it. That would be helpful.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Well I heard back from Garbaruk this morning, they were quick with getting back with me. The email I received back stated "We will investigate this issue and send you a replacement cassette ASAP". Chalk one up for a quick reply, I'll keep y'all posted once I receive the new cassette.

Did you get a replacement yet?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm interested in ordered an XD cassette. I notice that on the 46t the gap is 2t less than the gap between 36 and 42. That seems a little odd since the lowest cog often has the biggest gap to get to it on other cassettes; I'm assuming it is because there is just one type of cluster for the first 10 rings, ending in 42t. Anyways, this makes me think the 48t model makes the most sense because then the last two gaps are the same size, 6t.

Cogs
    10-12-14-16-19-22-26-30-36-42-46
    10-12-14-16-19-22-26-30-36-42-48
    10-12-14-16-19-22-26-30-36-42-50

Who is running the 48t with a Sram derailleur? On the one hand, I feel like I might as well get the modified cage to get good shifting; on the other hand, it's more money and it's one more thing to swap out.

E20
    mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    The folks at Garbaruk responded quickly.
    The diameter of the 11-50 cassette is "approximately 205mm", or
    approximately 8.07 inches.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dromond View Post
    Did you get a replacement yet?
    Not yet they mailed it on March 22nd but the tracking number was not working. I emailed them about that and this is their response:
    "Sorry but we cannot provide you with correct tracking information due to the system failure at delivery company

They assure your order was shipped and will be delivered soon

*Please keep in touch with me if you do not receive your order in 2 weeks times from the date of notification about shipping accepted

*Thanks a lot

*Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions."
    It's has been over 2 weeks so I sent an email to them again this morning, waiting for their reply.

mtbr member
    Any reports after 6-12 months? cassette looks very light (not too much metal), Does it hold up ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hi all,
    I have a question about the Hope Pro 4 hubs and why they will not work. Is it something to do with the drive side spacer?
    Thx

mtbr member
    it looks it won't work with Hope XD hub,
    http://garbaruk.com/files/GARBARUK%2...ITY%20TEST.pdf

but Hope shimano style freehub should be fine

mtbr member
    Update on my warranty cassette. It was shipped on March 22nd, the tracking number has never worked, I notified Garbaruk and they checked with the shipping company and assured me it has shipped and if I did not receive it in 2 weeks to let them know. I emailed them on April 8th because I still had not received the replacement cassette. I received a response this morning:

"Sorry for the delayed delivery.
    I have already sent the letter to the shipping company for the search As to refund - we have a certain policy regarding shipping and refund -*https://garbaruk.com/return-policy-and-warranty
    I will let you know when I got some news"

So it appears I will need to wait 45 days from when the replacement was shipped out to get a refund or to have a new cassette mailed out.
    Grrrrr, was really hoping to have this cassette on and ready before heading to Sea Otter.

Class Clown
    I had an order with them that shipped on March 26 and arrived a couple days ago. It was registered and needed a signature.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    I had an order with them that shipped on March 26 and arrived a couple days ago. It was registered and needed a signature.
    That is how my cassette that is being warrantied was, pretty quick shipping requiring a signature. Just a little frustrating that I paid for the cassette on February 9th (the one being warrantied) and still do not have working cassette.

mtbr member
    New to the thread after seeing this on PinkBike this morning. I have Hope Pro 4 hubs (12x142) with an XD driver. Will a 10-46 fit my Hope P4?

I know the new version E13 with the pinch bolt needs some type of shim to fit and that turned me away from it.

Thanks for any help as I'm not sure why my Hope XD driver is different than any other freakin' XD driver out there??

mtbr member
    read this thread a bit, especially, 3-4 posts above

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by razorjack View Post
    read this thread a bit, especially, 3-4 posts above
    I saw the link you provided but it doesn't work.....

mtbr member
    pinkbike just posted a review today

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I have been running the 11-48T Shimano driver and a Shimano XTR chain, XTR derailleur and shifter and wolftooth oval ring. Shifts are crisp but noisy.

Anyone running a SRAM Eagle chain on a Shimano drivetrain with this cassette?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    New to the thread after seeing this on PinkBike this morning.
    Link: https://m.pinkbike.com/news/garbaruk...rs-review.html
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hookem34 View Post
    I have been running the 11-48T Shimano driver and a Shimano XTR chain, XTR derailleur and shifter and wolftooth oval ring. Shifts are crisp but noisy.

Anyone running a SRAM Eagle chain on a Shimano drivetrain with this cassette?
    Very similar, running the GX Eagle chain with the e13 9-46t
    https://youtu.be/Datny92SLL8
    2019 Yeti SB100
    2016 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I just received my 10-48 (XD) cassette last week. It took about a month to receive it after ordering. I installed it, along with a new SRAM XX1 chain, and adjusted the derailleur so it shifts well on the street. I can also back-pedal while in the 48t cog with no problems. I have a XX1 derailleur and twist shifter. I haven't had it on the trails yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-garbaruk.jpg  

Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-garbaruk1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Does anyone know if the XD cassette fits a Hope Pro 2 EVO? I've seen the specs on the Garbaruk website, but haven't measured yet myself. I sent them an email asking, but received no response.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I rode mine for the first time yesterday. It's 10-48, using an XX1 derailleur, twist shifter, and new XX1 chain. Shifting was good, maybe not quite as crisp as the stock XX1 cassette, but it was fine. I did notice some noise when in the largest 2 or 3 cogs, so maybe I need to play with the b-tension screw some more. I did a 16-mile ride with some steep climbs, and it was nice to have that lower climbing gear for those climbs.

mtbr member
    Following, hoping to hear about a 10-46 or -48 cassette that works with Hope Pro 4 Evo hub, XD driver, and X01 rd. I heard about one person who filed down the HP4 flange to get the Garbaruk to fit; not sure I'd trust myself to do that. & I'd rather not purchase a SRAM cassette, then swap in a Wolf Tooth cog. Sounds like e*thirteen might be the closest option...

mtbr member
    p.s. I heard back from Garbaruk this morning:
    Thank you for the request
    Our XD-compatible cassette is compatible with Hope Pro 4 hub

mtbr member
    Follow up, finally received my XD driver 10 to 48 11 speed cassette yesterday. (warranty on the first one, then the replacement got lost in the mail..3rd time was the charm) Got it installed with no problems on a I9 12x142 hub on a Cannondale Scalpel. I tried using a brand new KMC DLC chain but shifting was terrible. Put a Sram PC-X1 chain on and shifts great with a GS Shimano XT RD.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes

I tried using a brand new KMC DLC chain but shifting was terrible.
    Please don't ever use kmc dlc ever again, it's yet another gimmick to earn quick bucks from riders who love more bling on their bikes. The normal gold or silver sl or el lines are better in every way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lkgeo View Post
    Following, hoping to hear about a 10-46 or -48 cassette that works with Hope Pro 4 Evo hub, XD driver, and X01 rd. I heard about one person who filed down the HP4 flange to get the Garbaruk to fit; not sure I'd trust myself to do that. & I'd rather not purchase a SRAM cassette, then swap in a Wolf Tooth cog. Sounds like e*thirteen might be the closest option...
    Same here..... I'm hoping since Garbaruk has the capability to produce a cassette, then they can offer a reworked Hope Pro 4 end cap as well, or they'll be missing out on a lot of orders.

mtbr member
    Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-img_6128.jpgGarbaruk 11 speed cassettes-img_6131.jpgGarbaruk 11 speed cassettes-img_6133.jpg

Just got my 11-46 Shimano cassette in. Just under 3 weeks from placing the order to arrival in Seattle. While I was at it I got an oval ring, anodized orange for maximum matchy-matchy with my Ripmo frame. Both are really nice pieces of kit, and based on one ride seem to work fantastically.

I really like the 11-46, much lighter than an XT 11-46, and with better gear spacing, and it saves me getting an XD driver body. 42T is all I really need out back for 95% of my local trails, so with this setup I'll be running the chain on a steel cog with a better chainline in those situations, with the 46 on deck for very steep stuff or when my legs are blown.

Incidentally, I checked with Garbaruk and they are happy to sell a replacement aluminum large cog for their cassettes separately, if that wears out first. Not listed on their site but available, and looks to be easy to swap out with 3 T-20 bolts on the back of the unit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    Incidentally, I checked with Garbaruk and they are happy to sell a replacement aluminum large cog for their cassettes separately, if that wears out first. Not listed on their site but available, and looks to be easy to swap out with 3 T-20 bolts on the back of the unit.
    Awesome, thanks for posting

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    Same here..... I'm hoping since Garbaruk has the capability to produce a cassette, then they can offer a reworked Hope Pro 4 end cap as well, or they'll be missing out on a lot of orders.
    why not to flood Hope with complains about non-standard XD hub body ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by razorjack View Post
    why not to flood Hope with complains about non-standard XD hub body ?
    I did that ready and got no response. Hope definitely marches to their own drum with the XD driver, because not only does the Garbaruk cassette not fit, but the new E13 pinch bolt style 9-46 cassette needs a lame 'shim' to work with it as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    It might have been off because I just finished installing the thingy ... but I always ride it in the on position, set up on the light side it is buttery smooth ...

BTW: I love the 48. I was on 1042 x 28 and I thought that I was going to put a 30 in front after going 1048. But the 48 x 28 combo goes up a wall! VERY nice! And Garbaruk shows once again how you do not need 12 (or even 11) gears to have a 480-500% range ...

I still think the future should have read 10 speed, 1042 with a DUAL upfront and single DI2 shifting. It is now obvious that to get to to 500% range with 1x you end up with the same weight of the ditto set up ... might as well keep the front derailleur and get a 600-plus% range!
    Folks with the Garbaruk 11-48 and Shimano GS rear derailleur w/ stock cage: Are you still happy with the shifting performance using the stock cage or did you end up switching to a modified cage (e.g. Garbaruk, Wolfcage, OneUp Shark, etc.)? Also, are you running this on a full suspension vs. hardtail bike?

I currently have a XTR M9000 GS with Goatlink 11 (for my current 10-42 X01 setup) but Wolftooth claims the Goatlink 11 isn't optimized for 11-48(49), so I'm tempted to see if I can get by with the stock b-knuckle

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hi, is there anyone here using XTR Di2 couple with Garbaruk 11-50+cage? Is there any issue with the shifting?

I am experiencing with shifting problem, it does not shift correctly and always skip a few cogs in between. I have to set the adjustment to -16 of the RD in order to shift to 50t but down shift is not smooth at all and skipping a few cogs.

I am wondering what had caused this. Suspecting a few things as below
    1. The cage was not correctly installed. From Garbarukís Installation Guide, the cage is supposed to have to direct hole for XT and XTR cage, but seems this is for the 10 speed cage. The 11 speed cage seems to have the same position for installation to XT or XTR
    2. Frame structure, could it be the alignment of the RD and smaller cog not correctly aligned?

Appreciate anyone here could advise

Formerly of Kent
    Did they raise their prices significantly recently?

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Going from an 11 speed 10-42 SRAM GX to a 10-48 Garbaruk. Going to order a new chain as well. Stay with an 11 speed chain, correct? Maybe two links longer than current?

mtbr member
    I recently also got the Garbaruk 11sp 10-50 (new version - New lockring, & special tool. up to 60 Nm). Had no problem installing it on my Novatec XD free hub, used the Garbaruk supplied tool for the inner lockring and standard lockring cassette tool for the outer lockring. Shifting is fantastic, the best I ever had. My shifter is SRAM GX 11sp, chain is also 11sp and my RD is SRAM EAGLE GX (EAGLE 12sp RD on a 11sp system). Works great. Before I was riding the SRAM EAGLE X01 set (with XG-1295 12sp. 10-50sp cassette), shifting with this Garbaruk is AT LEAST as good as the EAGLE, maybe even better. It is a simpler system, I experience less chain jumping from cog to cog by its self time to time while riding and similar issues. I did not get the Garbaruk to save Ä over the EAGLE or anything, just wanted to try it and to have a simpler drive train, 11sp instead of 12. I have a second wheel set for winter riding with cassette Sunrace 11sp 11-50. It was about 1/3 of the price of the Garbaruk, 200g heavier (those wheels are heavy anyway, so no matter). Shifting with the Sunrace is good. Compared to the Garbaruk, Sunrace is noticeable less smooth and responsive. Eagle is also better than the Sunrace. After swapping the wheels for the first time when spring began, I can also tell that there is a huge difference having the smallest cog 11 or 10!!! I have a 34t chain ring, perfect for me. I can climb everything and I have the necessary speed to get to and back from trails.
    I totally agree with what was mentioned earlier in this thread: ĄIf you want to get the 500% gear range, you don't have to go 12 speedď, and with: ĄI think it's the best 11sp solution on the market right nowď
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-img_4923.jpg  

Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-img_4924.jpg  

Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-img_4930.jpg  

Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-img_5208.jpg  

Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-img_5209.jpg  

Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-img_5210.jpg  

Garbaruk 11 speed cassettes-img_5198.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Will the sram XX1 11 speed derailure work smoothly with the Garbaruk 50 cassette?

mtbr member
    It will work, but not smoothly. I tried the SRAM GX 1x11 RD on the Sunrace 11sp 11-50 cassette (which is on my other wheel set). With the Garbaruk 50 cassette it will be the same. I mentioned it in the Sunrace cassette forum: SunRace cassette , wide range
    Simply those SRAM 11sp derailures are designed to take only up to 42t. Of course your XX1 is much higher end stuff compared to the GX I used so shifting with it should be smoother just principally, but it's the same range/reach so same problem I suppose. On my GX 11sp I had to screw the b-screw all the way in so it would reach the 50t cog. It did not have much of a problem to shift to the 50 cog, but on the other end it was a big problem. Since b-screw moved the RD way up and back, the chain did not "wrap" around the smaller cogs good enough, so on that end of the cassette shifting was unacceptably slow. I was advised to try the Eagle derailure on the 11sp system which I did and I am more than satisfied. The Eagle GX is quite cheap anyway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by EOS_ View Post
    It will work, but not smoothly. I tried the SRAM GX 1x11 RD on the Sunrace 11sp 11-50 cassette (which is on my other wheel set). With the Garbaruk 50 cassette it will be the same. I mentioned it in the Sunrace cassette forum: SunRace cassette , wide range
    Simply those SRAM 11sp derailures are designed to take only up to 42t. Of course your XX1 is much higher end stuff compared to the GX I used so shifting with it should be smoother just principally, but it's the same range/reach so same problem I suppose. On my GX 11sp I had to screw the b-screw all the way in so it would reach the 50t cog. It did not have much of a problem to shift to the 50 cog, but on the other end it was a big problem. Since b-screw moved the RD way up and back, the chain did not "wrap" around the smaller cogs good enough, so on that end of the cassette shifting was unacceptably slow. I was advised to try the Eagle derailure on the 11sp system which I did and I am more than satisfied. The Eagle GX is quite cheap anyway.
    I may just sell my brand new XX1 11speed derailure and get x01 Eagle!! Building up a new yeti SB 100

mtbr member
    Shifting is fantastic, the best I ever had. My shifter is SRAM GX 11sp, chain is also 11sp and my RD is SRAM EAGLE GX (EAGLE 12sp RD on a 11sp system). Works great. Before I was riding the SRAM EAGLE X01 set (with XG-1295 12sp. 10-50sp cassette), shifting with this Garbaruk is AT LEAST as good as the EAGLE, maybe even better.
    Great feedback on being able to use an Eagle GX RD with an 11sp cassette. I contacted Garbaruk about that (albeit for the Shimano 11-50 cassette), and they didn't know or wouldn't comment on whether it'd work

According to peeps here on MTBR, it's also possible to use a 12sp Eagle shifter in place of an 11sp.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleDuck View Post
    Great feedback on being able to use an Eagle GX RD with an 11sp cassette. I contacted Garbaruk about that (albeit for the Shimano 11-50 cassette), and they didn't know or wouldn't comment on whether it'd work

According to peeps here on MTBR, it's also possible to use a 12sp Eagle shifter in place of an 11sp.
    I'm also using a 11 speed shifter with an eagle derraileur, works great. I'm using a 11-50 11 speed cassette.
    DaveH
    '15 Salsa Horsethief
    '13 9:ZERO:7
    '13 Trek Domane
    '16 Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anyone tried a Garbaruk xd cassette with Ibis branded hubs? Ibis 938 and Ibis 942 Carbon Logo wheels has these hubs. The 27,5" version also, 738 and 742.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Have any of you had creaking issues with the 11-46 cassette (it's on a shimano hub).. It's quiet for about half a ride then creaks in the lower gears (1-4). I pulled it off after 6 rides, and went back to the xt cassette.
    Last edited by jdr120; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    On my GX 11sp I had to screw the b-screw all the way in so it would reach the 50t cog. It did not have much of a problem to shift to the 50 cog, but on the other end it was a big problem. Since b-screw moved the RD way up and back, the chain did not "wrap" around the smaller cogs good enough, so on that end of the cassette shifting was unacceptably slow. I was advised to try the Eagle derailure on the 11sp system which I did and I am more than satisfied. The Eagle GX is quite cheap anyway.
    I've met the same problems when tried X01 11sp with 10-48t Garbaruk cassette. Not enough range to provide good and quick shifting at all gears. It may work at a hardtail, but on a full suspension bike a chain is too long for that combination...

Moreover even with Eagle GX rear deraileur shifting is not perfect (compared with Eagle and native 11sp Sram cassettes). If b-tension adjusted using an Eagle gauge the shifting at low end of cassette (small cogs) is really terrible with KMC 11-93 chain (almost new). Haven't tried another chain yet...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I just installed my 10-48 Garbaruk on a GX 11 speed system with HD freehub. I did have to buy a GX Eagle derailleur as well. Trying to get it dialed in and so far shifting is "good" but not great. Will report back. Seems like B-tension, high and low limit, and cable tension have to be exactly right - although I suppose somewhat true for most systems.

mtbr member
    I put on my 10-50 11 speed cassette about a week ago and Iím not having the same love for the Garbaruk as seems the norm. I usually donít have any trouble setting up most thing bike so Iím baffled.

My set up is YT Capra 29, XTR shifter and rear d with the Garbaruk cage. SRAM X01 11sp chain new and One Up 30t ova also new.

Symptoms are good shifting on the smaller 5 rings. In the bigger gears I can always get the 50 to work well, but almost never the second gear. And if the 2 gear works ok then the 3 gear works even worse. By not working well I mean there is a lot of grinding noise and the chain is trying to grab the next gear. Occasionally when downshifting (to a bigger ring) the chain skips and drops down to the 10 and grinds like mad. Also when descending in gear 7 or 8 ish Iíve had the chain drop to the 10 twice. Not super cool when in a Big Mountain Enduro stage.

Iíve triple checked my derailleur hanger is true. I can get it super crisp on the work stand, but any load and it turns to crap.

Next step replace shift cable and housing, try a SLX derailleur from a different bike then? I really want this thing to work. I love the Shimano shifter. But am getting close to going Eagle.
    Losing just makes me faster.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Truck View Post
    Next step replace shift cable and housing, try a SLX derailleur from a different bike then? I really want this thing to work. I love the Shimano shifter. But am getting close to going Eagle.
    Problems at downshifting mean cable/housing is probably not a cause. Сheck the chain length, too long chain may result in problems like you described above. Also try to screw b-tension more than usual (Sram recommends ~15 mm clearance, not sure about Shimano with custom cage)

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Truck View Post
    I put on my 10-50 11 speed cassette about a week ago and Iím not having the same love for the Garbaruk as seems the norm. I usually donít have any trouble setting up most thing bike so Iím baffled.

My set up is YT Capra 29, XTR shifter and rear d with the Garbaruk cage. SRAM X01 11sp chain new and One Up 30t ova also new.

Symptoms are good shifting on the smaller 5 rings. In the bigger gears I can always get the 50 to work well, but almost never the second gear. And if the 2 gear works ok then the 3 gear works even worse. By not working well I mean there is a lot of grinding noise and the chain is trying to grab the next gear. Occasionally when downshifting (to a bigger ring) the chain skips and drops down to the 10 and grinds like mad. Also when descending in gear 7 or 8 ish Iíve had the chain drop to the 10 twice. Not super cool when in a Big Mountain Enduro stage.

Iíve triple checked my derailleur hanger is true. I can get it super crisp on the work stand, but any load and it turns to crap.

One of the main reasons I went with Eagle after years of hacked drivetrains - built as a whole, Eagle is not perfect but it works.
    2019 Yeti SB100
    2016 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mevnet View Post
    One of the main reasons I went with Eagle after years of hacked drivetrains - built as a whole, Eagle is not perfect but it works.
    I feel ya. It has been YEARS since Iíve had a single brand, out of the box drive train. Closest thing was the XTR 11sp with the e13 9-46. But the 46t kept folding over under heavy loads. E13 is great about warranty, but I like things that donít break...
    I get on my road bike with 10 year old 10speed Ulterga and it just works.

Iím still hopeful that I can get this Ukrainian thing working. Surely is a beautifully machined piece of metal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by accordnick View Post
    Problems at downshifting mean cable/housing is probably not a cause. Сheck the chain length, too long chain may result in problems like you described above. Also try to screw b-tension more than usual (Sram recommends ~15 mm clearance, not sure about Shimano with custom cage)
    Good tips. Iíll check this evening. Thanks. Since this is modeled on Eagle Iíll watch the Eagle setup videos and do it as best as possible.

mtbr member
    Nothing works perfectly. My set up which I am very pleased with as I mentioned earlier above (Garbaruk 10-50 11sp, Eagle GX RD) also skips/grinds once in a while. But the Eagle X01 also did!!! Maybe even more often. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Nothing works perfectly. My set up which I am very pleased with as I mentioned earlier above (Garbaruk 10-50 11sp, Eagle GX RD) also skips/grinds once in a while. But the Eagle X01 also did!!! Maybe even more often. Good luck.
    I fear that is true, I just donít want to accept it.

Last night I changed cable and housing, put on a new derailleur hanger, put on a GX Eagle chain and cleaned and readjusted everything. Chain length was correct before. Basically any longer and it wonít be tight in the 10t, any shorter will rip the rear derailleur off with suspension compression. I tightened the b screw quite a bit.

Riding around the neighborhood seems better, probably still need a couple minor adjustments to get real nice, but I think itís close.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast