Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Full length shifter housing

1K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  havnmonkey 
#1 ·
I was just wondering if anybody is running full length cable housing, if this would even work, and how the performance might be. I ask because I like to ride in the mud but I don't like to take the time to clean up the cables.

Thanks in advance

#3 ·
i run full length both on the front and rear on my FS. there are no problems with the shifting to date, just your choice of housing can be quite important. will not recommend Transfil as i had to lube the housing even though it is new but it shifts fine now.

will recommend XTs. regretted not using them as i wanted to try something else. at the next opportunity once these wear out, i will most probably use XTs.

i use XTs on my HT which uses housing stops and they are really smooth. did notice that there is quite a lot of lube in them as i push the cable through, which i guess is a good thing.

#5 ·
Easy to replace too.

Although it usually lasts about a year, the housing is super easy to replace. Only two stops to prep.

We get alot of mud here in the NE too and its well worth the effort.

Puddleduck- I dremelled out my stops, but you can get cable hangers to try it out before committing to permanantly alterririg your rig.

#13 ·
I ran both my Front/Rear w/ full housings... No probs... Shifts fine (X.7 all around)...

The only problem I see (and had) is deciding how you want to run them... I drilled out the stops on my HT and ran 'em down the DT but the cables kinda played around a little, even w/ the ziptie/stick-on guides... so now I've got some electrical tape holding them tight (ugly, but it'll work till I get my new frame next week!).

I saw a great idea in another thread. Using one zip-tie and some fish tank tubing... looked pretty clean! don't recall where i saw the thread though,,,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.