mtbr member
    Apr 2009

FSA MegaEXO crank - Regrease help

My FSA MegaEXO crank has suddenly developed a loud creaking noise so I think I'm due for an overhaul. Haven't pulled cranks in a while so I just wanted to run this by you guys. Once apart, I should put grease:
    - on the threads to the BB cups before installing on bike frame
    - inside the BB cups before installing the drive-side crank spindle
    - the crank spindle that the non-drive side crank threads onto???
    - the bolts on the non-drive side crank that hold the crank arm on the spindle

I'm really sure about everything except 1 step, hopefully you can figure out which one. In the old days of square taper cranks, putting grease here was a no no.
    Thanks,

Plays with tools
    You pretty much want to grease everything that slips and anti-seize anything that threads. I've also found that properly torqued BB cups stay creak free through their service life. Which FSA crank do you have? Some have known issues that create creaks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thank you customfab. I have an FSA Gossamer 36/46 for my cyclocross bike. We've had some races in NE this year that have been complete mud-fests. Creaking came on very suddenly and severely. Raced in late October with light mud, cleaned bike, dry road ride in early november, then bike sat for a month (mountain biking mostly), mixed cross ride yesterday with creaking.

What's the difference between grease and anti-seize? I've been using Park PolyLube for both applications.

Plays with tools
    Grease works well enough but anti seize is better. Anti-seize is the preferred choice when your dealing with dis-similar metals. Which is pretty common in bicycles. It's also great for stainless and aluminum hardware that are prone to galling.

Some of the Gossamer cranks had issues with creaking at the left crank arm attachment point. It's not the end of the world and FSA was sending out a sleeve retaining compound to solve the problem for a while. These cranks were from several years ago so they may not affect you. I would grease that interface and try tat first. If it continues to creak and everything is in check I would then proceed with some kind of retention compound.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks so much customfab. I overhauled the whole crank/BB and it was mostly dry with some residual mud/gunk tucked in there from my brutally muddy races this October. The BB cup threads still had a hint of grease but that was it. Cleaned & degreased every surface using a citrus based degreaser and isopropyl alcohol. Fresh grease on each thread, bolt and spindle. I'm now riding smooth and silent!

Most difficult part of the job is figuring out which way the BB cups thread. I knew one was reverse threaded but didn't know which (drive-side). For pedals I've read the term "back off" but for the BB "front off" worked.