Church of the Wheel

FSA Megaexo Bearing Replacement Help Needed

Can anybody walk me through replacing a bearing on an FSA Megaexo BB?

I'm fairly handy, have done most of own bike maintenance for years, but I've never had to mess with an external cup BB until now.

I've procured the BB tool to remove the external cups from the frame - this part seems fairly straightforward, although I haven't removed them yet. Reinstall with threads greased, yes?

I've also procured the FSA BB Rebuild tool, which is actually two tools for removing and reinstalling the bearings in the cups. This is where I'm in unknown territory.

And those dust covers - Do those just snap on/off once you remove the cup from the frame?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

(This is crossposted in Tooltime Forum, fyi.)
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    mtb143,
    Take a look at the sticky "external B.B. service thread" on the very top of this forum page. Follow those steps/proceedures and you should be done in no time.

Church of the Wheel
    Thanks, that's a good thread, but it covers how to regrease a bearing without replacing it, and what I need help with is removing and replacing a bearing from a bearing cup. Hey, it does 'splain the dust covers though!

If you have a tool that removes and presses the bearings I'm not sure what the problem is, should be pretty straight forward. You got pics of the tool?

You might try looking at enduroforkseals.com's instructions http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id10.html for their bb tool; while they don't show a specific one for the FSA crank, it should be pretty similar I'd think. I did look at the FSA website and don't see such a tool.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Church of the Wheel
    The FSA Megaexo BB Rebuild Tool, unlike those on the Endura Fork Seals website, is not a press, but is a two piece system that looks like it's intended to just whack the bearings out then back in. It's on their website here: http://webstore.fullspeedahead.com/f...id=269&pid=402

My concern, and reason I'm looking for guidance, is that the tool only appears to exert force on the inner race of the bearing as you're removing/replacing bearings, which I'm concerned might damage the bearing if you actually have to whack it with a hammer or something, instead of the slow, steady pressure of a bearing press. No biggie when you're taking bearings out, as presumably you're going to toss them, but I'm loathe to whack brand new ceramic bearings. They're expensive.

I've been unable to locate any instructions by FSA or from any other source on proper usage of the tool, and thus my post here.

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I don't have any experience replacing a bearing in a bottom bracket shell but being an aircraft mechanic I have replaced many interference fit bearings in aircraft applications. The tool pictured is similar to what I have used to remove and replace bearings. From the looks of the tool I would say that the cylinder shaped part is used to hold the bottom bracket bearing housing with the outboard end of it seated down in the recess on the top. Then the bearing driver part is inserted into the inboard end of the housing and seated against the bearing race edge. Use a hammer to drive the bearing down and out with the driver. To install the new bearing turn the bearing housing over with the outboard end facing up. Place bearing in the housing bore and use the driver to carefully tap it until it is seated all the way down in the housing. To make it a little easier to both drive the old bearing out and to drive the new bearing in you can use heat from a heat gun to heat up the housing for expansion. The most important thing is to make sure the bearing is aligned with the bore and not cocked while driving it in. As far as the plastic inner cover I just recently removed them from mine with a thin bladed screw driver inserted under the outboard edge. Pry against the housing edge and work the screw driver around. The cover should unsnap from the inner edge of the bearing. After installing the new bear just snap the cover back down inside the bearing and housing.I hope this helps. This is just my 2 cents so if you damage something don't blame me. Good Luck.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving ~ Albert Einstein

Church of the Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by muddydc
    ...The tool pictured is similar to what I have used to remove and replace bearings...To make it a little easier to both drive the old bearing out and to drive the new bearing in you can use heat from a heat gun to heat up the housing for expansion...
    Good info, thanks. Heat gun trick sounds good.

So no worries then about impacting only the inner race? That's the part that bothers me, but it looks like this tool is designed exactly to work that way. I'll try heating and see if I can slip the new bearings in with minimal force.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    mtb143,
    When you use the heat gun to heat up the bearing housing make sure you don't get it to hot (to hot to the touch) or you can change the heat temper of the aluminum making it weak. Also if you worried about damaging the new bearing when driving in against the inner race, you can drive it in against the outer race by using a socket that has the same outer diameter as the bearing outer race to drive it in.
    Good Luck.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving ~ Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Check this out.

Go to you tube and look up...

FSA Ceramic Bottom Bracket Maintenance Video

This will walk you through it.

Hope it helps.