mtbr member
    Jun 2006

FSA MEGAEXO BB w/ Shimano XT Crank?

I have a 2005 XT crankset and the bottom bracket is worn out. I am wondering if one can substitute the new FSA Megaexo ceramic bottom bracket? Or in other words, would the FSA bb fit with a Shimano XT crank? I would appreciate any advice.
    Cheers!
    Charlie

it's....
    I'm not 100% positive, but either one of Truvativ or FSA outboard BB is not compatible
    Not sure which one, though. Sorry.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    truvativ is the incompatible one....AFAIK the FSA cups are compatible with race face and shimano...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Are the ceramic bearings worth it??? Or is it just hype??? It seems that with my experience the XT cups wear out after about 6 months or so...Do the ceramic bearings last longer???
    Charlie

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I sure like my Enduro BB cups on my 2006 XT BB.

Last really well stiff, and fast.

I took one Enduro bearing in XT cups though 6500 km and one long cold salty winter.

I am now on 4500 km Enduro cup and bearing through the summer, all looks good.

The enduro cups cover the seal better.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    The bearings and cups themselves are compatible, but the black "top hat" bearing shields are slightly different. For a perfect fit you should try to re-use your XT bearing shields on the FSA BB.

No, Ceramic Bearings are not just hype. Or if they are, they have been hype on my MTB for almost two full years now, still smooth as silk. Three years on my road bike.

JMH

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieFarrow
    Are the ceramic bearings worth it??? Or is it just hype??? It seems that with my experience the XT cups wear out after about 6 months or so...Do the ceramic bearings last longer???
    Charlie
    Ceramic bearings are a subject of great debate!
    personally, I wouldn't spend the money on 'em, but I don't have problems with bearings wearing out fast... yeah, I predominantly running square taper cranks
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    The bearings and cups themselves are compatible, but the black "top hat" bearing shields are slightly different. For a perfect fit you should try to re-use your XT bearing shields on the FSA BB.
    Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but do you need to swap spacers because the spindles are different diameters, or because the spindles are different lengths?