mtbr member
    Jul 2008

fsa isis drive ?

im putting together (or more like altering )a carbon frame hard tail.Most of the components are xtr ,the cranks are fsa isis drive .Im thinking of upgrading the cranks.The xtr are pricey and what others would you recommend for cranks on the lighter side?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by naconst
    im putting together (or more like altering )a carbon frame hard tail.Most of the components are xtr ,the cranks are fsa isis drive .Im thinking of upgrading the cranks.The xtr are pricey and what others would you recommend for cranks on the lighter side?
    ISIS Drive is a BB type, not a model. So it could be that you have a set of really nice cranks or really crappy cranks, depending on what model they are. If they are extremely nice cranks (and they might be since the rest of the bike is XTR) then it probably makes sense to just pick up a new Titanium ISIS BB and hit the trail.

That said, you won't find many ISIS enthusiasts out there. The bearings don't last very long and every crank manufacturer has pretty much moved on to external BB types. Trouble is, the high-end models that are light weight are all going to be expensive. Check out the newer FSA offerings, or maybe an XT unit from Shimano. Not as sweet as XTR but certainly good.

JMH

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    thanks and sorry for the incomplete post.These are alpha fsa and D drive isis .Are they good ?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    thanks and sorry for the incomplete post.These are alpha fsa and D drive isis .Are they good ?
    FSA Alphadrive. No, not really. One of the cheapest cranks FSA offers. I would definitely replace it if you want something at the same level as the rest of the bike.

JMH

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    yea I thought so.The guy put together a nice bike and put cheap cranks and wheels ??I dont think i'll spend 300+ for the xtr's now,maybe xt's or something.

mtbr member

Check on line for close out sales

yea I thought so.The guy put together a nice bike and put cheap cranks and wheels ??I dont think i'll spend 300+ for the xtr's now,maybe xt's or something.
    You can still find new XTR 960 cranks at close out prices. You can also find quite a few XTR 960 and 970 cranks on eBay that are either new or lightly used. The same goes for FSA K-Force and the higher end Truvativ cranks. Do a little research -- you may be pleasantly surprised.

narCOTIC
    I have ridden ISIS bb's for quite a few years, and have had zero problems with them. I had an external bb on a bike i bought a few months ago (singlespeed), and the bearings lasted practically hours, so i bought an ISIS bb and cranks for it.

I have a Crank Bros Ti ISIS bb, with FSA Carbon Pro team issue crankset. The combination is very stiff, and very light (plus the carbon cranks look awesome).